Randy W

Uh, can't wait to see the pictures, Randy.

Okay - we're back! I've gotten some off the camera. It's getting to where there are always so MANY worth posting that the only difficulty is paring it down to a reasonable number. THAT may take awhile, but I'm sure I can post some tomorrow.

Jaiying was on the phone, not constantly, but a lot. On the way home, she was even sending pictures of signs showing how far we were from Yulin to someone she needed to meet with tonight about the new building. So I'm sure that keeping the trip short was the right thing to do.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

New toy - a traffic camera. The SD chip that came with it is only good for 30 minutes, so nothing dramatic until we can get a bigger chip - a 128GB chip would save 24 hrs.

This is our trip home from RT Mart - not very interesting, but you're welcome to watch anyway

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Years goodies for sale at the RT Mart - Ja. 28 is the Year of the Rooster

gallery_1846_744_670010.jpg

gallery_1846_744_117775.jpg

Several street vendors set up with these little portable grills. Inside the box is a rotating grill with six surfaces - he rotates whichever one he wants into position. The lady behind him rolls them up as they come off. Chinese egg rolls for sale!

gallery_1846_744_212023.jpg

Pollution cannon seen around Yulin. These things generate RAIN over a fairly wide area, which, of course, will wash SOME PM2.5 particles out of the air. I'm not sure how effective that actually is, though

gallery_1846_744_646773.jpg

Randy, I have thought about these things ever since they started using them. I think that it is more propaganda than anything else. See what your government is doing for you kind of thing. I am sure that it takes a minuscule amount of PM 2.5 out of the air where they are spraying but if they took an significant amount of PM 2.5 out of the air the streets would be covered with several feet of sludge considering the thousands of tons released by the sources that emit them every day.

Great pictures. Keep 'em coming.

Pollution cannon seen around Yulin. These things generate RAIN over a fairly wide area, which, of course, will wash SOME PM2.5 particles out of the air. I'm not sure how effective that actually is, though

Randy, I have thought about these things ever since they started using them. I think that it is more propaganda than anything else. See what your government is doing for you kind of thing. I am sure that it takes a minuscule amount of PM 2.5 out of the air where they are spraying but if they took an significant amount of PM 2.5 out of the air the streets would be covered with several feet of sludge considering the thousands of tons released by the sources that emit them every day.

Great pictures. Keep 'em coming.

The "It's a Small World, After All" street-sweeping trucks DO produce a SMALL amount of sludge in the gutters along the road, most of which just washes away. They usually come around once (sometimes more) a day when it's not raining.

But, yes - I think they'd be hard pressed to claim a measurable dent in actual pollution levels.

You get a thin layer of pollution which clings tenaciously to everything.

gallery_1846_744_453984.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It is truly a shame. China has some truly beautiful places and building new and old. Be very thankful that you don't live in Beijing. The wife's parents lives in the suburbs of Beijing and they have switched them over to natural gas in an effort to make Beijing more pollution free. The problem with that is the building complex manager where they live has reduced the temperature in everybody's homes from 55 to 50 degrees now and they have to make up the difference with electric heaters.

So they are actually making an effort to reduce the pollution. At least in Beijing anyway. Of course it is coming at a price. I don't know if they are putting restrictions on the big manufacturers. Probably not. Gotta keep them greenbacks coming in you know. I recently read an article that said that China was planning on burning MUCH more dirty coal in the future than ever. When the billionaires have finally gotten all they want and the country is ruined they will just leave. The government is trying to stop them but just like here in America they always find a way to get their money where they want it without paying taxes on it. The wife tells me almost every week where they have caught some government official with his basement stacked to the ceiling with RMB as well as greenbacks. They are doing it now just look at California and Toronto Canada's influx of billionaires. When the bubble bust they will be outta there. They have almost run all of the locals out of town because they can't afford housing any longer. I watched a documentary about Toronto and they interviewed a husband and wife that were both doctors that can't even afford a home in the poor section of town. They have to rent a very small place and make a commute all the way across town every day.

They are very slick too. They will go to a neighborhood in a more economically challenged Provence and buy a one or two million dollar house just to get the citizenship. That way they don't have to pay as much as they would in Toronto. Each Provence in Canada sets their own price for visa's and citizenship unlike the US. Then they never even move into the house they just abandon it and let it go to hell and the neighbors have falling down mansions in their neighborhood that reduces the price of their property. The elderly are then stuck because they can't sell their home for anywhere what it is worth. YouTube it it's all there.

The interviewer ask four of the girls that they were following around and showing their lifestyle and ask them if they had any regrets for the folks that they had displaced in Toronto and they said no that it was what it was time were changing.

I hope that they don't find my little burg because the folks up north have driven up the price of land here over 1500% just over the last 15 years. I sold our beach house and moved back in one of our other homes. Good thing I just came into a little bit of money too. So maybe I can live here until I'm pushing up daisies.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

It is truly a shame. China has some truly beautiful places and building new and old. Be very thankful that you don't live in Beijing. The wife's parents lives in the suburbs of Beijing and they have switched them over to natural gas in an effort to make Beijing more pollution free. The problem with that is the building complex manager where they live has reduced the temperature in everybody's homes from 55 to 50 degrees now and they have to make up the difference with electric heaters.

So they are actually making an effort to reduce the pollution. At least in Beijing anyway. Of course it is coming at a price. I don't know if they are putting restrictions on the big manufacturers. Probably not. . . .

I think the plan is to reduce the rate of INCREASE in coal usage through 2020, at which point they can BEGIN to reduce their actual coal usage.

China Cancels 103 Coal Plants, Mindful of Smog and Wasted Capacity

China is canceling plans to build more than 100 coal-fired power plants, seeking to rein in runaway, wasteful investment in the sector while moving the country away from one of the dirtiest forms of electricity generation, the government announced in a directive made public this week.
The announcement, made by China’s National Energy Administration, cancels 103 projects that were planned or under construction, eliminating 120 gigawatts of future coal-fired capacity. That includes dozens of projects in 13 provinces, mostly in China’s coal-rich north and west, on which construction had already begun. Those projects alone would have had a combined output of 54 gigawatts, more than the entire coal-fired capacity of Germany, according to figures compiled by Greenpeace.
The cancellations make it likelier that China will meet its goal of limiting its total coal-fired power generation capacity to 1,100 gigawatts by 2020. That huge figure, three times the total coal-fired capacity in the United States, is far more than China needs. Its coal plants now run at about half of capacity, and new sources of power, like wind, solar and nuclear, are coming online at a fast clip.

• Like 1

So they are actually making an effort to reduce the pollution. At least in Beijing anyway. Of course it is coming at a price. I don't know if they are putting restrictions on the big manufacturers. Probably not. . . .

I think the plan is to reduce the rate of INCREASE in coal usage through 2020, at which point they can BEGIN to reduce their actual coal usage.

China Cancels 103 Coal Plants, Mindful of Smog and Wasted Capacity

China is canceling plans to build more than 100 coal-fired power plants, seeking to rein in runaway, wasteful investment in the sector while moving the country away from one of the dirtiest forms of electricity generation, the government announced in a directive made public this week.
The announcement, made by China’s National Energy Administration, cancels 103 projects that were planned or under construction, eliminating 120 gigawatts of future coal-fired capacity. That includes dozens of projects in 13 provinces, mostly in China’s coal-rich north and west, on which construction had already begun. Those projects alone would have had a combined output of 54 gigawatts, more than the entire coal-fired capacity of Germany, according to figures compiled by Greenpeace.
The cancellations make it likelier that China will meet its goal of limiting its total coal-fired power generation capacity to 1,100 gigawatts by 2020. That huge figure, three times the total coal-fired capacity in the United States, is far more than China needs. Its coal plants now run at about half of capacity, and new sources of power, like wind, solar and nuclear, are coming online at a fast clip.

I do hope that they stick to this plan. I do not think that the Trump administration will adhere to the emission control's agreed upon at the Paris summit according to what he has said but that remains to be seen. So do you think that China will ensue Trumps lead regardless of what they have said if Trump refuses to abide by the resolution?