Randy W

From my little birthday gathering - all of 5 of us, including the grandson

Yes, that says "Happy Birthday" (or so they told me)

gallery_1846_633_266700.jpg

gallery_1846_633_640164.jpg

An excellent cake, with a layer of pineapple (and maybe durian?). Those are real cherries on top (okay maybe plums)

gallery_1846_633_28797.jpg

People were still setting off sky lanterns and lots of left-over fireworks around the river

gallery_1846_633_523633.jpg

I got a 1/2 pound of Cuban coffee - good, but not as good as the Yunnan coffee

gallery_1846_633_399521.jpg

The meal. We also had some skewers of lamb and grilled squash or chile pepper. These guys import their meat from somewhere out of town (not the rubbery stuff you usually get around Yulin) - they're on my list of places to visit at least once a week.

gallery_1846_633_623876.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of our traffic tickets

The sequence goes - top left and bottom right (same picture), top right, then bottom left.

There was a big pile up on the right trying to get around the scooters, and the white van in front of me wasn't going any faster. So I got into the next lane over, which was free of traffic, and zipped past. Unfortunately, it was also the left turn lane. I was ticketed for going straight from the left turn lane - ¥100. Apparently, it's okay if you wait until you're in the intersection.

gallery_1846_633_194764.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

QingMing - the Wu family has lived in Yulin for 200 years. Some of the plots out there are that old. I was told not to take any pictures of the graves. My first visit.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/653-2013-qingming/

My wife directing traffic - I guess she figured it was easier to yell at her brother, so he drove while the rest of us walked ahead as picture takers and twig benders. The road isn't as bad as it looks - I guess the soil in China is rocky enough that mud isn't a problem except where the ruts get too deep.

gallery_1846_653_403688.jpg

The trail up the mountain

gallery_1846_653_264472.jpg

gallery_1846_653_312544.jpg

• 1 month later...

poolas like that bring to mind just one thing:

Late night skinny dipping.

What's your read on that considering the "puritanical" Chinese?

It never opened last year because the construction of the buildings on the right was so close. The year before, it was only opened on three different weekends - and drew BIG crowds.

Considering a lack of filtration or purification, I doubt I'll be using it very much.

We did see a nekkid guy wandering the streets once, but nowhere near a pool.

• 3 weeks later...

At this intersection, you wait here for the light to turn green. Then proceed about 100 yards across the bridge to where the intersection actually is. At that point, there's no signal - you just proceed as if you have the right of way. They do have a new light there, though, just not hooked up yet.

gallery_1846_633_791532.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This guy didn't need any scaffolding to get the poster down - he just grabbed hold of the upper right, and the boom whisked him across from right to left

gallery_1846_662_306637.jpg

You can see some little kids playing on top of the dam

gallery_1846_662_484417.jpg