Spring Festival 2013 Destination: Xiamen!

Slogging through the thousands of pics we took on the vacation, a very great vacation! So many pics that we decided to put them in galleries by day... here's the first day:

http://ralphwallace.com/wei101/albums/Jan22-23-2013-Xiamen-Vacation/

Day 1 we traveled late at night to south Xiamen and woke to start a day of sightseeing while shopping. We tramped the very cool hotel neighborhood and then hit the downtown shopping strip... eating all the way.

Our hotel:

http://ralphwallace.com/wei101/albums/Jan22-23-2013-Xiamen-Vacation/slides/03.JPG

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

I followed the link to your gallery. Really nice photos and like tsap said, looks like you guys had a ball. We lived in Shantou, which is not too far south of Xiamen. Went up there for several visits and loved the place, especially the island area (I forgot the name).

Almost forgot, the hotel neighborhood restaurant we ate at afterwards (see the gallery) brought my girl's dishes and I waited for mine... and waited, we asked when they would come. They said soon... bottom line is THEY NEVER CAME! And it was only a simple vegetable dish. We left complaining loudly and all they did was laugh. Some of these tourist places have a captive audience they don't always care about very much, apparently.

BTW you can open the gallery front page and just mouse-over the thumbnails to get the comments if you don't want to play the entire slide show.

• 1 year later...

Just arrived in Xiamen this morning for a 5 day business trip.

First impressions, glad I packed my shorts! Had a big bowl of local Fujian style noodles from a small place by my hotel, absolutely loved it - I guess kind of like Yunan "mi xian," but definitely with its own unique twist. Not as modern of a city as I would have expected (or maybe that's just cause I've been here 3 hours and haven't been to any other parts of the city yet), but it definitely has a nice charm to it - kind of almost what I guess Taiwan would be like.

Anyways, going to be busy for the next few days, but just wondering if anybody has any off the beaten path Xiamen suggestions for places to go or things to do....? Thanks!