Site software costs.

As you all know the cost to run the site is user supported and voluntary, the license cost is $150 or so every 3 years, and the hosting fee is fairly low.

So any amount you all can kick into the kitty will help us all out.

Donation is by paypal, and you all can find the link on the forum home page: http://candleforlove.com/forums/ ;)

If you ever think about a different software/host there are many good (better) ones ---> http://www.jonbishop.com/2010/04/9-free-ning-alternatives-and-some-open-source-solutions/

Hostgator is the way to go and all three of my site are on this server.

Very reasonable price.

And if i remember right CFL is on hostgator.

Also From my experience the FREE sites are very slow with the number of members we have here on CFL

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yep, running on Hostgator, was easy to perform a back up prior to upgrade, and their FTP service seems to be quite quick when I uploaded the new software version.

The issue here is to move to a different platform would involve porting over the underlying database and all the content, and hoping nothing breaks in the translation this is no small feat for the common lay person. Even with IPB software the Don had a big problem moving from 2.x to 3.x

I can take a look at some of the tools suggested, but for the most part IPB has meen a strong robust board platform and is worth the nominal anual cost.

The issue here is to move to a different platform would involve porting over the underlying database and all the content, and hoping nothing breaks in the translation this is no small feat for the common lay person. Even with IPB software the Don had a big problem moving from 2.x to 3.x

I can take a look at some of the tools suggested, but for the most part IPB has meen a strong robust board platform and is worth the nominal anual cost.

What is here seems to work fine. Just giving my 2 cents. :) There are some great innovations that have come out in the past few years, outside of IPB and PHPbb that are quite nice. Actually they are remarkable.

You know what us old programmers always say - "if it anint broke, then don't fix it" - Unknown programmer

True, IPB did break the editor in this latest release, problematic quote and img tags.

Every contribution is welcome no matter how small. CFL is operated totally on member contributions. We accept no advertising and there are no paid staff. No member gains or loses privileges by the amount of their donation.

• Like 1