Received NOA, What Next?

1) When my wife interviewed for her visa, I asked the consulate if need to do both English and Chinese versions of forms, or if my wife is competent in English to do just the English version, the consular officer indicated is fine to do just the English form if comfortable. My wife filled out both English and Chinese versions of the OF-169, later forms used for interview we did just the English forms.

2) Yes, you can get transcripts for past years from IRS.GOV http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript They will mail to a US address, I would have it mailed to someone you trust, and then have them scan and email it to you, and then you can print it out to attach to your I-864.

Received my 2010 return from my tax preparer. So that problem is solved.

My wife's question is now should we mail her information and her daughter's information in separate envelopes or the same envelope? My belief is the same envelope to receive the interviews on the same day. My idea was to mail them together and have their passport bio page attached to each in order to reduce confusion.

On the OF-169 Original Documents

If you are the beneficiary of a family-based immigrant visa petition, you must be prepared to present the originals of all civil documents that establish your claimed relationship to the petitioner. If your sibling, child or parent filed your petition, you must present the birth certificate of the petitioner. If a stepparent is petitioning you, present evidence of your relationship with the stepparent or evidence of the current relationship between your stepparent and birth parent. Additional evidence of a relationship typically includes, but is not limited to, family photographs and household registration. Bring with you photographs that establish your relationship to the petitioner before the petitioner immigrated to the United States.

What exactly are they wanting to see family photos, my birth certificate? Not sure what they want here. This would pertain to my Stepdaughter, correct?

In this case step daughter's visa will be based on her relationship to her mother, and to you. Her birth cert establishes her relationship to her mother and your marriage cert to her mother establishes her relationship to you. The only reason a US Citizen were to provide their own birth cert is to establish that they are a US Citizen if born in the USA it would have no information connecting US Citizen parent to a step child.

So for step daughter provide:

• Step daughter's birth cert, and;
  • Your marriage cert.

Yes, send both OF-169 and DS-230 together to consulate in same envelope to keep then tied together, this should ensure interviews happen same day.

Reading form OF-169 it says to send these three things back to the consulate:

• OF-169
  • DS-230
  • Photo copy of passport BIO page.

Send the whole DS-230 part 1 and part 2.

Sending just part 1 of the forem has to do with the non immigrant K-Visas.

Evidence is evidence - it's your choice whether to submit it or not. If you need to include your bank balance to go over the 125% of the Poverty Line, ask your bank how you can get a print-out of activity on the account. Our bank (CCB) has an ATM-like terminal inside the bank where you can insert your card and get a print-out for the last 365 days.

Typically you do not need to provide bank statements if you provide other income evidence such as IRS returns. Bank statements tend to be for asset evedince.

Also you are using a joint sponsor, and that will weigh more than your personal bank statements.

Lastly what they are really concerned with is what happens after they immigrate to the USA, and how they will be supported, things like USA based income that continues after you arrive in the states, US based assets, or a Joint sponsor.

Just received an email for our interview. The interview will take place on March 20th. Still waiting on the step daughters appointment. Can we get the pysical done in Shanghai or does the phsyical have to be in Guangzhou? I'm still working on I-864 stuff. Does my wife need to produce bank statements for her bank accounts?