I think we're ready - I-130 DCF Beijing

I got your email - I'll post the images here shortly - the main point they make, as we've seen elsewhere, is that you need "a valid Chinese 'Foreigner Residence Permit', 'Z' work visa, 'X' student visa, or other long-term official authorization permitting you to live in China. . . . Absent evidence of residence in China, such as your valid Chinese 'Foreigner Residence Permit', this office will not adjudicate an immediate relative petition, and jurisdiction rests with the office where you have legal residence."

As we've also seen elsewhere, no mention is made of a six month requirement.

I placed them all (5 pages) here - http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/625-beijing-uscis-i-130/ for anyone to look at, re-locate, and/or pin.

They claim to have jurisdiction over Beijing, Shanghai, and Tianjin, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Jilin, Liaoning, Shanxi, and NEI Mongol. "The USCIS Guangzhou Field Office has jurisdiction over the remainder of China." Hopefully, they have that sorted out between the two offices.

• 1 month later...

As an update to this post:

Yesterday I came home and was surprised to find a letter from the embassy here in Beijing. As feared the China Post delayed the arrival of the letter by almost two weeks. The envelope had a time stamp of Oct. 18th - we only received it yesterday (Nov. 6th). I was a little surprised that there was no other communication from the embassy as I had filled out the form requesting an email.

The letter stated that the application had been approved and that the petition has been forwarded to Guangzhou. It also stated that we won't be getting any of our original documents back (photos).

A couple of questions:

The Beijing embassy stated in the letter that they were officially done with our application/petition and that everything would now be handled through Guangzhou. The letter said that the Guangzhou consulate will be notifying the "beneficiary" with the next steps. How will they do that? Will it be another letter that we have to watch out for? Will there be any notification that a letter has been sent out?

You were dealing with a USCIS field office in Beijing, they approved and handed it off to the Department of State, which handles all immigrant visa interviews at the consulate in Guangzhou.

From what I have been seeing Guangzhou is now doing everything via email. I would contact GUZ via their webpage, and verify they have the case, and that they have correct contact email, in your contact with them note (Petitioner, Beneficiary names and DoB, the Case # on the USCIS letter, and proper email address. http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html

Next step will be "P3" See here: http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/forms_and_packets.htm

You were dealing with a USCIS field office in Beijing, they approved and handed it off to the Department of State, which handles all immigrant visa interviews at the consulate in Guangzhou.

From what I have been seeing Guangzhou is now doing everything via email. I would contact GUZ via their webpage, and verify they have the case, and that they have correct contact email, in your contact with them note (Petitioner, Beneficiary names and DoB, the Case # on the USCIS letter, and proper email address. http://guangzhou.use...t-question.html

Next step will be "P3" See here: http://guangzhou.use...and_packets.htm

Thanks, Dan. I did go to the GZ site after I made my last post and emailed them.

They have a web form with a few required fields one of them being the case number. On the letter indicating that the petition was approved which we received yesterday the case number is the only field that's left blank - so I wasn't able to provide that when I contacted them. I gave them my name/email/phone number, my wife's name (pinyin), and her DOB etc. though.

Having to deal with the China Post is certainly less than optimal. It'd be nice if there was a way to request DHL or some other courier to handle the documents, at our cost, so that the packets and such would just get delivered to our door.

I received an email reply from GUZ stating that the petition was received by them and that a P3 packet was sent via EMS courier mail.

A couple of questions:

Since we haven't received the P3 packet yet, and the email from GUZ says it'd be OK, I'm thinking about downloading the forms. However I'm a little uncertain as to what we're sending to GUZ to complete the P3.

Is it:

One DS-230 form and

One OF-169 form and

One I-864 form?

Concerning the I-864. Since we have a co-sponsor will we be sending a copy of the I-864 form that our sponsor filled out and the tax returns that accompany it or will just the one that I'm filling out suffice?

Another question - our co-sponsor wrote the address that we are intending to move to once we relocate to the United States instead of the address that we currently live at in China. As I fill out the I-864 should I use the address that our co-sponsor used or the address that we currently live at?

Read OF-169 instructions, it tells you what to gather for interview and what to mail back to GUZ, OF-169 should tell you to send them only the OF-169 and DS-230, and nothing else.

You will bring the I-864 to the interview, along with the other docs specified in OF-169, such as marriage cert, any divorce certs, police cert, birth cert, etc.

I-864 Part 2 should show beneficiary current address, in China, since not yet moved to the USA

I-864 Part 4 12 should show Sponsor's address, in your case probably the china address, 13 I would list US Domicile address.

As for Country of domicile, this needs to be USA, and attach evidence of this domicile.

So just to make sure I've got this right - the OF-169 form is simply checking a few boxes and filling out the bottom (signatures etc.)? That, along with completed form DS-230, along with a photocopy of my wife's passport's bio page will be sent to GUZ - after which they will issue an interview date?

Another potential issue - OF-169 asks for the case number. We have not been made aware of any case number in any of the correspondence we've had with either consulate. Is this something I should be emailing GUZ about?

Typically when filed in the states NVC assigns a case number starting with GUZ or GZO since you filed in China and MVC was not involved you don't have a number, you can leave that line blank.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this thread. We will be applying via Beijing, and I've been curious to see the wait times. Our plan had been to start in February/March so to have about a year of lead time before our expected return to the States, but I'm wondering now if that may actually be starting too soon…we aren't planning to go back until July/August 2014.

Again, thanks for starting this thread and keeping it updated! Good luck with the whole process!

Thanks for posting this thread. We will be applying via Beijing, and I've been curious to see the wait times. Our plan had been to start in February/March so to have about a year of lead time before our expected return to the States, but I'm wondering now if that may actually be starting too soon…we aren't planning to go back until July/August 2014.

Again, thanks for starting this thread and keeping it updated! Good luck with the whole process!

When DCF, the process is very fast, typically from filing to interview can be 4 months, with an issued visa valid 6 months.

You could file now, and then delay responding to P-3 (OF-169/DS-230) sent out from consulate till you are ready for interview and coming to the USA. The consulate should hold case for upwards of a year for your response to the P-3. Best thing to do when getting P3 is to email consulate and indicate your delay, and then time the return of P-3 to set interview perhaps a month or two before your intended travel date. P-3 response to interview tends to be a month.

When we DCF'd we got a case number, I think it came with P3. If you didn't get one I might email the link on the GUZ website and ask.

I ended up emailing GUZ for my wife's case number before we received the P3 packet which also had it. I had downloaded the forms before receiving the P3 packet and was filling them out - one of the questions required the beneficiary's case number - which we hadn't gotten yet. GUZ was able to reply to my email with it.

When I directly filed at the Beijing embassy I was told that we'd hear back from the Dept. of Homeland Security within 90 days. The petition was approved a short 3 weeks after we filed - I think the 90 days is just the official line that the workers are instructed to say. We just sent the P3 packet to GUZ today - I'll update here when we receive the interview date.

When DCF, the process is very fast, typically from filing to interview can be 4 months, with an issued visa valid 6 months.

You could file now, and then delay responding to P-3 (OF-169/DS-230) sent out from consulate till you are ready for interview and coming to the USA. The consulate should hold case for upwards of a year for your response to the P-3. Best thing to do when getting P3 is to email consulate and indicate your delay, and then time the return of P-3 to set interview perhaps a month or two before your intended travel date. P-3 response to interview tends to be a month.

Very good to know, thanks. I'll start our own thread when the time comes. My wife is a Party member, so I am anticipating that will slow the process by a few months.
When I directly filed at the Beijing embassy I was told that we'd hear back from the Dept. of Homeland Security within 90 days. The petition was approved a short 3 weeks after we filed - I think the 90 days is just the official line that the workers are instructed to say. We just sent the P3 packet to GUZ today - I'll update here when we receive the interview date.

That's great that it was so fast for you! Good luck!