We are applying K1 visa, now at P3 stage. I am going to get notary documents for Birth certificate, police certificate, marital status certificate from my Hukou's Notary Office.

I wonder how many notary copies (副本) shall I get for the future uses like getting marriage license, marriage certificate, Social Security Number, Adjust of Status, Green card etc....So that I can save time in the future.

How long does the notary documents valid for Birth certificate, police certificate, marital status certificate?

Does the copies (副本) has the same effect as the original one?

Only document you will need one or two extras of is the Birth cert. And it is considered to be valid until death.

The other docs (Police and Marital status doc) you only need one copy each for the visa interview only, and is considered to be valid for one year after they are issued. Best to get them around the time you get P3 or perhaps just after I-129F has been approved.

You will also need these documents translated to English, which can be done at the notary office.

They are certified copies so are as valid as original docs.

Lastly after marriage in the states, when adjusting status. make a photo copy of the birth cert and marriage cert and send the photo copy of them to USCIS, keep the originals.

• Like 1