Living in China and Confused

I had to take both divorce decrees, with the state seal on them showing they were on file in what ever court, to the USA Beijing Embassy and get a certification of being single, along with her peperwork, and take it to the marriage registration office run by chinese in order to get married in China. Actually your get registered and that is it. No cerimony and no questions, they just give you your books and that is ti.

Or you can get those certified through your state, stateside. I think you both have to apear at embassy. Been a long time but there are websites explaining.

so, just as how the chinese half of the relationship needs to get her booklets from her local offices, in order to get married in china, US citizens need to go to the US embassy and obtain certificates of being single??

thanks in advance for any clarification!

Yes, the Chinese authorities need evidence that you are free and able to marry, this requires an affidavit of being single. Can be done at any of the US Consulates in China.

Posted about that earlier in this thread. Post #8

I had to take both divorce decrees, with the state seal on them showing they were on file in what ever court, to the USA Beijing Embassy and get a certification of being single, along with her peperwork, and take it to the marriage registration office run by chinese in order to get married in China. Actually your get registered and that is it. No cerimony and no questions, they just give you your books and that is ti.

Or you can get those certified through your state, stateside. I think you both have to apear at embassy. Been a long time but there are websites explaining.

so, just as how the chinese half of the relationship needs to get her booklets from her local offices, in order to get married in china, US citizens need to go to the US embassy and obtain certificates of being single??

thanks in advance for any clarification!

Yes, the Chinese authorities need evidence that you are free and able to marry, this requires an affidavit of being single. Can be done at any of the US Consulates in China.

Posted about that earlier in this thread. Post #8

Duly noted. Thanks, Dan!

• 1 month later...

Here is where I stand now. My wife and I were married last Monday. We have our little red books and we are in the process of procuring an English Translation.

I have also returned from the US with the documentation of my previous divorces.

I'm now going to start working on the visa paper work.

Here is where I stand now. My wife and I were married last Monday. We have our little red books and we are in the process of procuring an English Translation.

I have also returned from the US with the documentation of my previous divorces.

I'm now going to start working on the visa paper work.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful visa process. :victory:

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently working on the I-130 for my wife and her daughter. I have copies of the marriage license that have been translated into English. I was wondering if their birth certificates, divorce decrees and other documents in Chinese need to be translated into English also? Also since I am a resident of Shandong province I was wondering where I need to file Beijing or Guangzhou?

I am currently working on the I-130 for my wife and her daughter. I have copies of the marriage license that have been translated into English. I was wondering if their birth certificates, divorce decrees and other documents in Chinese need to be translated into English also? Also since I am a resident of Shandong province I was wondering where I need to file Beijing or Guangzhou?

Yep, any document not in English needs to be translated, the notary office should provide this service.

As for where to file:

The Guangzhou Field Office has jurisdiction over the Anhui, Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hainan, Henan, Hubei, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Ningxia, Qinghai, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Xinjiang, Tibet, Yunnan, and Zhejiang. (Source.)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44547-consular-jurisdiction-where-to-go/page__view__findpost__p__586315

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I think I have the wife's information all settled. Now for my step-daughter. I need for the I-130 Pack for her.

1. Cover Letter with a table of contents

2. I-130

3. Copy of my birth certificate

4. Copy of my step-daughters birth certificate (translated)

5. Copy of my wifes divorce decree (translated)

6. pictures of me, wife and step-daughter

7. A letter from step-daughter's father giving permission for her to move the US (Translated)

Am I missing anything?

OK, I think I have the wife's information all settled. Now for my step-daughter. I need for the I-130 Pack for her.

1. Cover Letter with a table of contents

2. I-130

3. Copy of my birth certificate

4. Copy of my step-daughters birth certificate (translated)

5. Copy of my wifes divorce decree (translated)

6. pictures of me, wife and step-daughter

7. A letter from step-daughter's father giving permission for her to move the US (Translated)

Am I missing anything?

From VJ Guide:

If you are a U.S. citizen and the father or stepparent of the child or son or daughter, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:
  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • A copy of your birth certificate or U.S. passport
  • If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either:
    • your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
    • your U.S. passport

[*]A copy of the child's birth certificate showing the child's name and the names of both parents

[*]A copy of civil marriage certificate showing the names of both parents, or proof that a parent/child relationship exists or existed (if you are petitioning for a stepchild, your marriage to the child's parent must take place before the stepchild's 18th birthday)

[*]A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that establish the termination of any previous marriages entered into by you or your spouse

[*]Fathers petitioning for a child born out of wedlock must provide evidence that a parent/child relationship exists or existed. For example, the child's birth certificate displaying the father's name, evidence showing that the father and child at some point lived together, or that the father held out the child as his own, or that he has made financial contributions in support of the child, or that in general his behavior evidenced genuine concern for and interest in the child. A blood test proving paternity may also be necessary.

[*]If anyone's name has been legally changed (if it differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be submitted.

http://www.visajourn...ontent/childpet

Passport photos and G-325A are only used with spouse petition not step children.

Step parent's permission letter will be needed at visa interview not when filing petition.

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-130instr.pdf

All the petition needs is evidence of relationship and that they qualify. Later the consulate when interviewing to issue the visa will need evidence that they have no road blocks to coming to the USA that would be the divorced parent's letter.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a sample cover letter and table of contents? I seem to remember seeing a link to one a year or so ago but haven't been able to find it. Also, is the only time that I can file in person in Guangzhou is on Friday mornings during walk up hours or do I have to set an appointment?

Cover letter: http://www.visajourn..._for_I-129F.doc (Adjust the address to the consulate and from fiancee to spouse or stepchild I-130)

Sounds like walkins are the norm and the window hours are Friday from 8:30 to 10:30. You could email them at CIS-Guangzhou.Inquiries@dhs.gov and ask about a appointment.

http://www.uscis.gov...000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Still gathering documents together for the wife. I've also been working on the table of contents for the I-130. Does this look alright and am I leaving anything out?

Contents include:

• Payment in the amount of $ 420.00
  • Form I-130
  • G-325A and passport style photo (Petitioner)
  • G-325A and passport style photo (Beneficiary)
  • Birth certificate/US Passport (Petitioner)
  • Birth certificate of Spouse (Translated)
  • Marriage Certificate (Translated)
  • Copy of Petitioners Divorce Documents (Marriage 1)
  • Copy of Petitioners Divorce Documents (Marriage 2)
  • Copy of Spouse Divorce Documents (Marriage 1 Translated)
  • Copy of Spouse Divorce Documents (Marriage 2 Translated)

Still gathering documents together for the wife. I've also been working on the table of contents for the I-130. Does this look alright and am I leaving anything out?

Contents include:

• Payment in the amount of $ 420.00
  • Form I-130
  • G-325A and passport style photo (Petitioner)
  • G-325A and passport style photo (Beneficiary)
  • Birth certificate/US Passport (Petitioner)
  • Birth certificate of Spouse (Translated)
  • Marriage Certificate (Translated)
  • Copy of Petitioners Divorce Documents (Marriage 1)
  • Copy of Petitioners Divorce Documents (Marriage 2)
  • Copy of Spouse Divorce Documents (Marriage 1 Translated)
  • Copy of Spouse Divorce Documents (Marriage 2 Translated)

Which I-130 we talking about Spouse of step-child?

Spouseal Visa

Foreign birth cert is not a requirement with spouse petition, US birth OR copy of US Passport is for showing that you are a US Citizen.

Cover letter is a good thing, perhaps detailing how relationship began and some details about prior relationships.

Evidence of relationship. (Apartment lease showing both names, affidavits from friends I-130 instructions 1 (E-I) Note the OR there means E, or F, or G, or H, or I. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf