Thinking to go back to China for Chinese new year

I am thinking to go back to China on January 20th ,but it seems the flights are super expensive during that time ,if anyone knows how to get cheaper price for the roundtrip ticket?????

In the past I traveled to China during that time, seems to get better pricing in the period around 30 days prior to travel date.

May I ask u how much u paid for that ?????

This was about 5 years ago $827 or so, for RT. Thu, Feb 15, 2007 returned Thu, Mar 08, 2007, Booking date 1/9/07.

Mid week tends to be the sweet spot.

Booked this directly on United.Com

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I will add, my Feb 15 flight got canceled due to weather, so I actually flew to China, ON Chinese New Year's day, and that flight Chicago to Shanghai was about 25% full due to some connections being snowed in, had room to lay down in the seats.

The week in front of Chinese new year's is when almost everyone wants to travel back to China to be with family and the airlines know it, so not always much for better prices.

30 days ahead of is a good time to start looking and I sometimes start 6-8 weeks ahead. The best prices seem to be on sale on wednesday's through thursday's and I have found the best times to fly are on tuesday's through thursday's.

Good Luck

www.farecompare.com is the easiest way I've found to find the cheapest prices.

Generally, you will get the best price somewhere between 30 and 60 days out from your day of travel. For the most part, it is cheaper to fly on Tues-Thurs rather than Fri-Mon, and Friday and Monday are usually the most expensive due to business travelers, and weekends more expensive due to people adjusting around work.

Fare Compare will let you see the prices for each day of the week. I think you have to put in "my dates are flexible" or something...can't remember. Play with it for an hour or two to learn all the quirks.

Also, play around w/ different airports. One year it was $200 cheaper for my wife to fly out of Dallas on American. 2 years later, it was cheaper to fly out of Houston on Continental. Maybe the same thing for flying into Beijing vs Tianjin or or Chengdu vs Chongqing. [shrug]