Translations and Document Intake

I had ordered some 8 x 10's of our best photos from Kodak which were very cheap and mailed them to my wife. She placed the photos on the top of her packet so when she went for her interview the VO would see them first thing. Now that you hand in the documents the day before I'm not sure that this would work unless you could take them in on the day of the interview.

So my wife got our pictures printed. Most people seem to have said that when the VO looks through the pictures, he/she only flips through 3 or 4. I suppose the smart thing to do then would be to choose those first few wisely.

Xiaozhu, you mentioned self translation - I think we were going to do that for our optional documents. All of the important stuff has been translated already. Translation in Guangzhou is still a strange thing for me, especially for DCF. They have plenty of staff that understands Chinese. Why is it so critical to get everything translated?

Beachey, are you suggesting to include all of the previous packet applications as well? As in, should we reprint out our i-130, DS-230, etc....?

Just a little over a week!!!

Oh, one question. The company I work for has an American office, and they've mentioned that they would like to renew my contract even after we touch down in America. This would mean that my income in China right now could count, right? This being the case, what can I do to let Guangzhou know this? I had already assumed I should get a company letterhead with a statement from my employer. Is there anything else I should do in addition to this?

What I've decided to do with the picture thing is a two prong attack. A printed document with inline or such comments with most of the best lovey dovey type of pictures and family pictures and she will take the already printed stack of pictures containing the universe. That way the VO has a set of good pictures in hand with the i130 and more I desired and asked for. It may go without saying that Sue will also have a complete duplicate of the i130 package plus an assortment of blank and semi blank forms in case she has to whip out a hit copy of something they don't like for some reason.

Beachey, are you suggesting to include all of the previous packet applications as well? As in, should we reprint out our i-130, DS-230, etc....?

Yes, I would do your best to have a copy of everything you have already submitted. Do I think they will ask for the I-130 petition again? Highly doubtful. They asked my wife for the DS-230 even though I sent it in with the P3 as required. If I hadn't included an extra copy, I am not sure what would have happened. What of yours might they not have or not be able to find? Think of this as a job interview, do you being extra copies of your resume? The more organized you are and the easier you make the VO's job is to your benefit.

While the VO's are only supposed to be making a decision based upon the hard evidence, I am sure they are using non-verbal clues to form an impression. Is your wife confident, organized and well-prepared or does it appear like she has something to hide or fear?

Oh, one question. The company I work for has an American office, and they've mentioned that they would like to renew my contract even after we touch down in America. This would mean that my income in China right now could count, right? This being the case, what can I do to let Guangzhou know this? I had already assumed I should get a company letterhead with a statement from my employer. Is there anything else I should do in addition to this?

Have your wife bring the letter. They likely will ask a question of where you are going to live in America or what job you will do. At that point, she can offer the VO the letter.

I think you said your father was your co-sponsor. Assuming he is well over the minimum, I think I would not try to include your Chinese income. Where this helps is that it establishes an intent to reestablish domicile in the US.

So Tata went to the hospital and got her stuff! Now, we're just getting all our documents and stuff collected and organized. We go to Guangzhou in one week! I had a question about document intake. I've read several people's accounts about how they pick and choose which documents they accept on the day before the interview. If I bring a folder, would they take the folder or just the papers?

Also, I've seen several incidents where they didn't take the Sponsor's employment letter. In my case, this is somewhat of a problem. I'm filing DCF and will actually be keeping my job after we move to the States. Therefore, my salary should be legitimately accounted for. I'm bringing a contract and a signed letter of employment to prove this. I'm just afraid they won't accept it on the basis of assumption.

So two questions I suppose:

1) At Document Intake, do they take the folder?

2) Any suggestions about getting the employment letter across? Perhaps at the interview if it matters?

So two questions I suppose:

1) At Document Intake, do they take the folder?

2) Any suggestions about getting the employment letter across? Perhaps at the interview if it matters?

1. The folders are for organizational purposes, in general they ask for what they want.

2. You could enter the annual salary offered in Line 23 of the I-864 using the employment letter as proof. However, I would not count on them accepting that as sufficient income so I would still plan on submitting your co-sponsor's I-864.

And in general, if you have followed the advice from Candle all along, RELAX, you should be fine.