The process of documents hand-in and interview

Hi Xiaozhu,

I have a question regarding the interview. My husband is having his interview on July 12th with the11th being the document drop off day.

The appointment letter states to bring "any potential evidence proving the applicant(s) relationship to each other (as applicable) as well as the petitioner" to the interview. So I assumed that we can drop off all our evidence of relationship documents (phone records, chat records, email, letters, receipts of hotel stays and vacations etc... ) during the document drop off day so that the VO can look at it prior the interview.

However, I was just asking someone and they had told me that the embassy has a new policy and that they no longer accept any EORs during the document intake day. For electronic processing, I was told that they will only take in all the necessary documents (original DS 230, I-864, taxes etc...) during the document intake day and all EOR docs will be looked at during interview day.

Is this true? If so, when should we submit them? In the beginning of the interview or when they ask for it? I have 4 lbs worth of EORs and the interview is around 15 minutes. I am worried that what if the VO doesn't even look through everything and just denies my husband?

Any suggestions?

HI, just read your post. Hope your husband already received visa!!

Got blue for missing papers... But I think we will figure things out. Thanks!

• 3 years later...

My wife went prepared for the interview (CR-1) with almost a complete set of everything file for the I-130. After all, that is what some sources said she needed to do. Even though we had paid $420 when submitting the I-130, we were told we would have to pay about another 2,000 RMB for the interview, as well as for the DS-260. But we didn't have to pay that money. Furthermore, all of the duplicate documents we prepared were not wanted. They even gave back to us the pictures we gave them the first time.

We got a white paper from the interviewer, which said that her application for the CR-1 had been approved. Now we're waiting for the visa...

• 2 weeks later...

Document intake takes place on the day of the interview now, right? Like right before the interview?

I thought the process was:

1. Wait in line

2. Document intake

3. Pay the Visa fee

4. Interview

My wife went prepared for the interview (CR-1) with almost a complete set of everything file for the I-130. After all, that is what some sources said she needed to do. Even though we had paid $420 when submitting the I-130, we were told we would have to pay about another 2,000 RMB for the interview, as well as for the DS-260. But we didn't have to pay that money. Furthermore, all of the duplicate documents we prepared were not wanted. They even gave back to us the pictures we gave them the first time.

We got a white paper from the interviewer, which said that her application for the CR-1 had been approved. Now we're waiting for the visa...

Why didn't you have to pay the visa fee? Did they instruct you to pay it online or something? Did your spouse visit the cashier for anything?

Document intake takes place on the day of the interview now, right? Like right before the interview?

I thought the process was:

1. Wait in line

2. Document intake

3. Pay the Visa fee

4. Interview

Correct, this is the exact process my wife went through. I'm not sure why Kevin's wife didn't have to pay the fee.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

As we approach outr interview date, I'm reading about the "document intake".

Can folks tell me what is involved and what they ask for during this part of the process?

I expect it is the interview letter (P4), and the medical results...but I don't know what else is asked for..

Let me clarify a little. Yifang and I are preparing, practicing, and gathering all the docs we can think of right now, including all the I-130 docs, NVC package docs, relationship docs, original white books, etc. I know that the VO can ask for any of these if he/she wants to see them. We'll be ready for that.

But the "document intake"...is there a defined set of docs that they want Yifang to hand over? The reason i ask is that if I know what they are, Yifang and I can bundle them together in a package and hand them over, instead of her having to fumble through a number of folders to find them all.

There hasn't been any guidance in the interview letter, or the PDF that has the document checklist. As a matter of fact, "document intake" isn't mentioned at all, nor fingerprinting, etc. All the info I have on that has been from reading posts here.

i appreciate the info! :)

• 1 year later...

We were approved on July 1 2017 on i601 waiver. then interviewed on August 15 in GUZ. since it was more than 1 year since prior interview we needed new medical, and police updates. We also did AOS i864 but it was not necessary. only a few questions and interview was speedy. Little left to question after i130, 601A, and 601 approvals over 3 yrs.

.Process was as described by others here, from years before.

After interview the wait was lengthy to get IV immigrant visa. it was 16 days. During this time wife waited in Hyatt and Mariott hotel. quite costly but it was all day to travel to NE China, and we expected the Visa in 3 or 4 or 5 days. We had delivery to Citibank, the EMS service may take an additional 2-5 days to remote areas. that describes us. there are no lines or delay to pickup. We went there every morning at 9am. They say an email or cell phone call will alert you. True, but it may be 24 or 36 hrs. My wife was on plane to New York by the time of email. With Visa you get about 100 pages. POE NY took about 3 hrs. largely due to understaffing and 800 non US citizens arriving.

Today she is home safe after 16 months. We are married 7 yrs now, 12 years in US, and she was denied on a 601A. be careful if you exit US with approved "invitation" from DOS. if denied you may face 10 yr bar. we were lucky? at only 16 months.

thank you Dan and Randy and all who contribute. if I can help sometime I will. Tom