a question about CCP

My fiancee got a blue slip (as expected) due to being a member of the CCP. Everything else in the interview was no problem at all. She interviewed on May 18th. She had the CCP explanation ready to turn in, and the interviewer was impressed she had already prepared it. (Thanks CFL for the heads up!!)

On the blue slip it says:

"Your case requires additional processing. We will contact you by mail to inform you of our decision when we finish the processing. You may want to contact us every few months to check your case's status. You may email,fax or send a letter to the consulate at......."

My question is whether we really should wait a few months to follow up with the consulate while we're waiting for the CCP issue to be processed, or do we just wait patiently and quietly until August if we don't hear something. Is there any downside to contacting them early as long as we don't pester them?

Thanks!

(Side note -- Many people at the hotel my fiancee stayed at told her she should lie about the CCP -- The thought had crossed our minds when we first became aware of the CCP issue. How could the U.S. ever find out who is in the CCP? However, lying about it is grounds for getting permanently kicked out the U.S. if they ever find out. It might be a small risk that the U.S. could find out...but for those of you thinking of lying about the CCP membership -- everyone can overcome it with a standard explanation, and it only takes a few months. Isn't that worth the peace of mind that you don't have a lie in the U.S. that can get you kicked out permanently??)

My fiancee got a blue slip (as expected) due to being a member of the CCP. Everything else in the interview was no problem at all. She interviewed on May 18th. She had the CCP explanation ready to turn in, and the interviewer was impressed she had already prepared it. (Thanks CFL for the heads up!!)

"Your case requires additional processing. We will contact you by mail to inform you of our decision when we finish the processing. You may want to contact us every few months to check your case's status. You may email,fax or send a letter to the consulate at......."

My question is whether we really should wait a few months to follow up with the consulate while we're waiting for the CCP issue to be processed, or do we just wait patiently and quietly until August if we don't hear something. Is there any downside to contacting them early as long as we don't pester them?

Thanks!

(Side note -- Many people at the hotel my fiancee stayed at told her she should lie about the CCP -- The thought had crossed our minds when we first became aware of the CCP issue. How could the U.S. ever find out who is in the CCP? However, lying about it is grounds for getting permanently kicked out the U.S. if they ever find out. It might be a small risk that the U.S. could find out...but for those of you thinking of lying about the CCP membership -- everyone can overcome it with a standard explanation, and it only takes a few months. Isn't that worth the peace of mind that you don't have a lie in the U.S. that can get you kicked out permanently??)

I would give it 2 months, then email consulate for status, this is not a problem.

As for lying about this, you did the correct thing, a couple months extra processing time is better than being dishonest and having this hanging over you for life.

So my wife talked to my lawyer about her CCP membership and the lawyer said since my wife has never been active nor held a government job "She will get pink." I am now trying to temper her expectations saying we likely will get blue and it will take a few more months. We will have a statement ready for the interview. The most important thing is I don't want my wife coming out of that interview thinking she did something wrong if (when) we get blue.

Is there any chance they will approve us the day of the interview?

And I am starting to understand why so many people are negative on lawyers even though she was a big help early in this process.

Of course there is a chance she get approved; and a chance she won't. You should be prepared for what your circumstance brings to the table: Have a explanation letter ready.

As for lawyers, I have seen two general issues:

1. Time. Few save time and many cause delays since, to be fair, your not the only client their small, low paid helpers are probably pushing files around the office. For years we have seen complaints about lawyers causing problems in the paperwork. Generally we say, nobody cares about your paperwork like you do and you'll do a better job in most cases.

2. GUZ. Few don't really know that GUZ processes with a different mentality and denying at a much higher rate. So, most don't know these reasons or how to prepare for them. And some lawyers might advise the K3 since it means more money and it's easier for them; again, taking the easy way around GUZ is not always a good thing if you understand it.

--For me, it took 57 days. I was just "patiently and quietly" waiting. I thought if no message from Guangzhou by two months since my interview, we would start to bugg Guangzhou or other departments. Luckily it came out less than two months.

--Yes, I heard such recommentation else well. But I never consider it as a right option. Although we would not know how US does it job, we know what we are doing. Being honest is the best thing.

So my wife talked to my lawyer about her CCP membership and the lawyer said since my wife has never been active nor held a government job "She will get pink." I am now trying to temper her expectations saying we likely will get blue and it will take a few more months. We will have a statement ready for the interview. The most important thing is I don't want my wife coming out of that interview thinking she did something wrong if (when) we get blue.

Is there any chance they will approve us the day of the interview?

And I am starting to understand why so many people are negative on lawyers even though she was a big help early in this process.

I think the lawyer means that "She will get pink eventually". I heard few people did get pink at interview. So it really depends.

If blue, Guangzhou will let her know the reason (because of CCP), anything else is all right. No need for her to feel that way. I remember you guys plan to return US next January. Everything will be worked out soon.

If though, I still wish pink on her interview!!

What are the benefits of joining CCP ???

Is it required ? What cases are they required ?

Can foreigners join to ? What benefits ?

Being invited into CCP while in college is an honor and its essentially like being part of a prestigious professional organization here in the states. So, it helps you get better jobs, promotions, leadership positions. You are required to pay dues, attend and help coordinate regular meetings and be assigned to any other odd jobs they have you do (no, not like mafia jobs ;) ). It's not a good idea to quit as it will raise many questions about your patriotism and whether you are lining yourself up to be a protester or something. It may even jeapordize your job and put you on a watch list.

There have been some known in-US Chinese spy rings that have been uncovered so there is a list the U.S. has of known spies so if you are a CCP member its just a second check they want to do to make sure they are not on the spy list. There is a growing problem with the PRC recruiting in-country Chinese for spying activities and the U.S. doesn't want them help planting anyone here through the immigration channel, hence the extra security check. Don't think of it as so much of a witch hunt due to ideaology but more of security profiling.

I am sure foreigners could join but many questions would be asked and you would be watched closely I imagine. You also have to be invited and voted in at the local assembly but "votes" in the CCP are a sham, essentially a higher level person makes the nomination and everyone is expected to go along with it.

Lee

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Hi my friends. As my fiancee and I prepare for our P3 and P4 activities, we are also trying to be as prepared as possible for the CCP part that we are facing since she is a member. From what I have read, my fiancee needs to write a statement in Chinese and English explaining why she was a member AND provide a resume of her work history. Is there anything else? Does anyone have samples of the docs you prepared that you wouldn't mind sharing with me? We want to prepare for the CCP part, as with everything else, as thoroughly as possible. Thanks all

This came up in a different topic thread when I asked about form GNI-2. DNoblett said the position my fiancee held for several years was not a big deal. She was in a secretary role for the small teaching group at the college she works. He said is was similar to someone holding a secretary type position in a workers union in the US. So should be overcome in the same way normal rank and file members overcome as long as we are honest about everything.

• 5 months later...

My wife is a rank and file CCP member. Our interview is next week and I've prepared the necessary letters based on Candle for Love posts and was just wondering if someone could take a look and let me know if everything looks good. Please let me know!

Good Luck. The same day my wife interviewed in June 2011 we met a couple where the wife was a manager(director) for a state-owned company. It took 3 months for my wife's CCP clearance to go through. Her clearance took to January 2012 (7 months). I think my friend's wife would be considered something more than rank-and-file even though she was a member for employment purposes only. My wife just joined in college when she was asked.