I-864 or I-134 U.S. Domicile topic

Hello,

I am in a similar situation. I have been living here for the past four years, working as a teacher with Universities. The salary isn't very high, somewhere around $10,000 per year. I've filed my taxes stating such. I have no one else to co-sponsor me. I have my Mother, but she is retired and has no income save her pension and retirement. I've had very good jobs when I was working in the States. Seeing this, it is making me very nervous.

What should I do?

Hello,

I am in a similar situation. I have been living here for the past four years, working as a teacher with Universities. The salary isn't very high, somewhere around $10,000 per year. I've filed my taxes stating such. I have no one else to co-sponsor me. I have my Mother, but she is retired and has no income save her pension and retirement. I've had very good jobs when I was working in the States. Seeing this, it is making me very nervous.

What should I do?

You will need a joint sponsor, unless you moved back to USA and landed a job that will provide income above 125% of the poverty line, while waiting for the interview.

Also if living overseas you will need to provide evidence of a US domicile.

The consulate takes the affidavit of support seriously and has demanded joint sponsors.

Note: I-134 is for K-Visa, I-864 will be used for spouse CR-1 or IR-1 visa.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Hello,

What should I do?

You will need a joint sponsor, unless you moved back to USA and landed a job that will provide income above 125% of the poverty line, while waiting for the interview.

Also if living overseas you will need to provide evidence of a US domicile.

The consulate takes the affidavit of support seriously and has demanded joint sponsors.

Note: I-134 is for K-Visa, I-864 will be used for spouse CR-1 or IR-1 visa.

OK although I have been living in China. I have kept my residence active,I still have American bank accounts, still pay and use my credit cards, I have voted absentee and continued to pay my taxes. What would I need to show evidence of a US domicile? So if I get my Mom to co-sponsor my wife, if we both met the standards together, everything would be alright?

Thanks.

OK although I have been living in China. I have kept my residence active,I still have American bank accounts, still pay and use my credit cards, I have voted absentee and continued to pay my taxes. What would I need to show evidence of a US domicile? So if I get my Mom to co-sponsor my wife, if we both met the standards together, everything would be alright?

Thanks.

You provide a photo copy of DL showing US address, copies of bank statements showing activity and home address.

Sponsorship is not aditive, joint sponsor's I-864 needs to show enough to sponsor immigrant. However if you are a member of mother's household she may be able to use an I-864A as a member of household and add her income to yours.

The VO gave me a copy of the the domicile criteria they use:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

basically it lists these things (I'm sure it's not conclusive, but he may of been specifically speaking from a DCF viewpoint:

1. Opening a bank account

2. Transferring funds to the US

3. Making investments in the US

4. Seeking employment in the US

5. Registering children in US schools

6. Applying for a social security number; and

7. Voting in local, state, or federal elections.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39544&view=findpost&p=526766

The PDF link the VO gave me is still active so you can download it if you want. I found it to be quite helpful.