Real Chinese Food

OK, I'll ruin your appetites  now.  When you get away from the top end restaraunts where the foreigners are expected to eat, you pick out the dog you want negotiate a price and they knock it in the head and skin it right out on the sidewalk in front of the restaraunt.  That is going to far for me even.  German shepards are the prefered fare.

Snake I didn't try yet.  Wife is deadly afraid of them.  She takes off for the other side of the street when she sees them in the windows in GZ.  BTW, the PSB arrested a fellow with a semi load of snakes the other day.  Seems that there are some limits even in China as to how far you can push the endangered species laws.

OOOOWWWWCCCCHHHHH. Im not even going there. ;) :) :P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll ruin your appetites  now.  When you get away from the top end restaraunts where the foreigners are expected to eat, you pick out the dog you want negotiate a price and they knock it in the head and skin it right out on the sidewalk in front of the restaraunt.  That is going to far for me even.  German shepards are the prefered fare.

Snake I didn't try yet.  Wife is deadly afraid of them.  She takes off for the other side of the street when she sees them in the windows in GZ.  BTW, the PSB arrested a fellow with a semi load of snakes the other day.  Seems that there are some limits even in China as to how far you can push the endangered species laws.

I am also afraid of snakes. AAAAAA

I’ve eaten a number of unusual foods in China.

Chicken feet. Scorpions, tastes like bacon. 1000 year old egg, which I think is just some time of preserved rotten egg. Dog, which taste like bison to me, tough and stringy. And, snake, the meat, fried skin and liver. The snake liver is served in a shot of some type of alcohol and is suppose to make you more virile. I thought the snake was rather tasty. Plus, snakes have bitten me in the past. Apparently, revenge is better served hot and with rice.:D

dan

Scorpions? I wish I would have had the nerve to try some of those during my trip to Beijing. I remember a rather aggressive street vendor leaping out in my face, yelling something in Mandarin and waiving a hand of scorpions-on-a-stick. Had to tell my fiancee to tell the guy I didn't want any scorpion, but in retrospect it would definitely have been interesting to try. :D

Guest LarryQun

Has anybody tried the stirfried grasshoppers? Delicious. The bodies are kind of chewy and sweet, and the legs are crunchy (tastes like onion rings). Of course there's the centipedes in brown sauce, one of my favorites..................NOT

When I was a kid, I had a really bad cold and was completely congested. My grandmother poured a vial of powder on a spoon and fed it to me. She told me it was powdered monkey brain she bought from her last trip to China and it was very expensive. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but it instantly cleared up my system.

Now I was only a kid then, so I don't remember any details, but has anyone else heard of this sort of medicine?? :lol:

P.J.

I went to McDonalds in Nanning and thought I would play it safe and ordered a chicken sandwich. How can these nice people ruin a chinken sandwich??? HOOOOOOOTOOOOTOOOTOT!!!! They sold me three more drinks! :lol:  :lol: >Jim

Jim! my God... don't they sell spicy chicken hamburg in Mac there? oh noooooooooo ! http://digi.pchome.net/icons/5.gif