My wife is convinced that all citys can provide a criminal back ground check and white book. Clearly your opinion and her differ greatly.

If the state department has specifics why don't they state details?

When we got married in nanjing we had to go to an office for foreigners. They said at the time the US gov will want two white books. Birth certificate and marriage certificate, thus they sold us them. Maybe they will know more about the criminal white book. I will give them a call.

If I remember correctly, this is what my wife and I originally thought. It turned out that we had to get her certificate from the place of her hukou (Nanyang). We just had her brother (who still lives in Nanyang) request them and mail them to us in Beijing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also, this mistake is not so much about not understanding hukou household registration system but rather expecting the general info on US government websites to apply to China, which it often doesn¡¯t. I believe the general guideline is for a police certificate from every city resided in for at least six months since age 16. But for China, there is only one certificate covering the whole country, and that¡¯s obtained in the place of a person's hukou.

It's possible that the OP's wife was working off of this general information.

Does anyone have a copy of the police report submitted to guangzhou? I am not to clear on what the police should say in their report.

This is what my wife had. The first part may not be used consistently throughout China, but it may give you an idea for what to look for. The first few (2 sheets) sheets were what my wife took to the PSB to get filled out. Afterward, she took them to get them processed for a white book. You will take the documents completed by the PSB to the same place you'll get your wedding certificate and her birth certificate translated and notarized. She got the forms to be filled out by the PSB at the office that does the translating and notarizing. Personal information has been redacted:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/kyleinwuhan/Capture1.png

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/kyleinwuhan/Capture2.png

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/kyleinwuhan/Capture3.png

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/kyleinwuhan/Capture4.png

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/kyleinwuhan/Capture5.png

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/kyleinwuhan/Capture6.png

The documents were done in Wuhan, which is the city listed in her Hukou. Police translated and notarized certificates (white book) are valid for one year.

Oh, im sorry- i meant Zhengming!

had a late night....

So this is standard procedure then?

Still not recognizing the term - I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to direct your attention to the hukou, while still allowing that you MAY know what you're doing, while the rest of us DON'T know what you're doing.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Sorry i would use chinese if the computer game me anything more than the 5-bi right now...

zheng ming- its the very first word on the pictures kyle posted!

I get the feeling that the people here in zhengzhou dont do this very often, and may not know what they're doing themselves. So, kyle, your wife never ran around getting zhengmings before she could get the actual gongzhengshu then?

Maybe they're just lazy....

·Ç³£¸ÐлÄãµÄÐÅÏ¢£¬µ«ÊÇÇëÎÊѧÀú£¬¾­Àú£¬¹¤×÷£¬ÊÕÈë¡£¶¼±ØÐ빫֤Â𣿴óʹ¹Ý¸øµÄ×ÊÁÏûÓÐÒªÇó¹«Ö¤ÕâЩ¡£ÊDz»ÊǶ¼ÊDZØÐëµÄ£¿

·Ç³£¸ÐлÄãµÄÐÅÏ¢£¬µ«ÊÇÇëÎÊѧÀú£¬¾­Àú£¬¹¤×÷£¬ÊÕÈë¡£¶¼±ØÐ빫֤Â𣿴óʹ¹Ý¸øµÄ×ÊÁÏûÓÐÒªÇó¹«Ö¤ÕâЩ¡£ÊDz»ÊǶ¼ÊDZØÐëµÄ£¿

Yes - the notarial documents (police report, marriage certificate, birth records only) are required.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Sorry i would use chinese if the computer game me anything more than the 5-bi right now...

I get the feeling that the people here in zhengzhou dont do this very often, and may not know what they're doing themselves. So, kyle, your wife never ran around getting zhengmings before she could get the actual gongzhengshu then?

Sounds like you're posting some details that we've never focused on before. Most of us simply tell our wives to go to the "gong zheng shu" (if they even need to know that) to get the documents. Let us know how it turns out.

Lots of things can be assumed to be easy from 30,000 feet, but when you are on the ground doing the work things are different. I think lots of men her just told their wives what to do. They never ran around and did the stuff themselves in China.

Even then how many American's know the difference between notarized, certified and authenticated. Much less how to get it done. My guess is if I asked for an American to get a new notarized, certified and authenticated police record for China they wouldn't know where to start. Much less the content expected by the Chinese government.

However the pictures of the police report Kyle were extremely extremely helpful!!!

thank you! I know have confidence I will get everything right in a timely mannor.

thanks!

Lots of things can be assumed to be easy from 30,000 feet, but when you are on the ground doing the work things are different. I think lots of men her just told their wives what to do. They never ran around and did the stuff themselves in China.

Even then how many American's know the difference between notarized, certified and authenticated. Much less how to get it done. My guess is if I asked for an American to get a new notarized, certified and authenticated police record for China they wouldn't know where to start. Much less the content expected by the Chinese government.

However the pictures of the police report Kyle were extremely extremely helpful!!!

thank you! I know have confidence I will get everything right in a timely mannor.

thanks!

Perhaps you could help out us 30,000 ft. overhead folk by telling us what legwork is required?

Yes, pretty much every one of our wives has done that work themselves. No apologies here!

Although some men (and don't forget the American women) may do exactly that, I doubt many assume anything during the non-immigrant or immigrant process with Guangzhou. Too much is at stake. You don't have to physically be in China to do research and find out the proper information/procedure. You can still help even if you can't be there in person. The internet is a wonderful thing - besides, I'm sure the American is doing what they can on their end to make sure the process goes smoothly.

I was in China during the whole process. What we did together, is what I described in my previous post. I mentioned this in another thread:

Your notarized/translated documents will all be done by the same office. My wife had her police report, our marriage license, and her birth certificate all done at the our city's notary office which is authorized to do notarizations for foreign consulates. If your wife does a search for "your city, notary, foreign" in Chinese, for example we did this search "武汉公证涉外"

Our city, Wuhan: 武汉

Notary: 公证 gong1zheng4

Foreign: 涉外 she4wai4

The name of the office is probably (your city) gong1zheng4chu4 - (your city)公证处

Yes, all of these will be in a white book. You will need photos for all of these, but the requirements are different in different places. I'm sure once you find the proper office's website, you'll find what they require.

Make sure you go to the above office in your city (Hukou). Do not go to an alternative notary service, as there are many of them out there. Unfortunately not all services are created equal in the eyes of the Chinese government - thus, not all are qualified for foreign affairs. You're looking for at least a city level notary.

Do an Internet search for your designated city + the above information in Chinese (汉字) to get contact information. It isn't all that difficult to get all of these documents translated and notarized - it can be expensive though. My wife and I did this together and it took about one week from the time we dropped off the documents at the notary office till the time we picked them up. The police report forms, again, were given to us by the translating/notarizing office - not the PSB station. We simply took them to the PSB to get them filled out, and then returned them to the notary office for processing.

EDIT:

Also, be sure to go over the white books carefully. They misspelled my last name and had to do them over. They were somewhat embarrassed by this, and I think they were able to process them a little more quickly the second time around. They did not charge us to redo the translations because this was due to their carelessness.

Good luck!

So, kyle, your wife never ran around getting zhengmings before she could get the actual gongzhengshu then?

My last post on this thread (hopefully):

No my wife didn't have any problems getting this done - it's a fairly straightforward process.

1. Go to your notary/translating office (see above).

2. Ask them for the police report sheets (first two pictures - see above - 证明).

3. Fill out the sheets - wife filled these out on her own.

4. Take them to the PSB to get them stamped.

5. Return the documents to the Notary/translating office to get a white book - 公证书. Processing will take a week or so.

Do an Internet search to find the right office - see my previous post and call them. For all the things you need to prepare for your trip to Guangzhou, the white books should be among the easier - more straightforward tasks to accomplish.

Good luck!

In my previous post, I stated that the PSB filled out the documents - that's actually not what happened. She and I filled them out and went together to the PSB. They just stamped them and gave them back - my presence at the PSB office wasn't necessary.