East Meets West For The First Time, Pt 1

I'm leaving on a jetplane! I've only got a few loose ends to wrap up and I'll be ready to go.

Unfortunately I won't be getting my notarized, verified, authenticated marriage documents from Chicago before I leave. :( Not to worry too much though, Mom will fax them to ShuPing's sister and then UPS the originals. It will only be a problem if Harbin tells us the fax is not good enough, then we'll have to wait to get the official marriage license until we're headed back to Beijing. Yes, I do have them translated and I'll take that with me.

I've gotten quite a few extremely useful tips from you guys in the past few weeks. Xie xie ni. Wetnaps for the bathroom, long johns and snow boots for the cold, presents for the in-laws. I'm leaving the hotel arrangements to ShuPing, buying a translator when I get there and getting cash instead of using credit cards.

Does anyone have any last minute advice before I go?

I'm leaving on a jetplane!  I've only got a few loose ends to wrap up and I'll be ready to go.

Unfortunately I won't be getting my notarized, verified, authenticated marriage documents from Chicago before I leave. :) Not to worry too much though, Mom will fax them to ShuPing's sister and then UPS the originals.  It will only be a problem if Harbin tells us the fax is not good enough, then we'll have to wait to get the official marriage license until we're headed back to Beijing.  Yes, I do have them translated and I'll take that with me.

I've gotten quite a few extremely useful tips from you guys in the past few weeks.  Xie xie ni.  Wetnaps for the bathroom, long johns and snow boots for the cold, presents for the in-laws.  I'm leaving the hotel arrangements to ShuPing, buying a translator when I get there and getting cash instead of using credit cards.

A few things. Fax most likely will not be good. Ask about DHL instead of FedEX. It may be faster and gets to where you are.

Buy, a few cartons of "555" brand cigaretts in the duty free shop and one carton of those long slim lady's cigarrets. You will find them very popular dealing with her friends and you will need them at the wedding. Candy and cigaretts are handed out to any one who happen to passby, including guests.

Timberland boot should handle the cold. If needed, don't use paper. In the Northeast, they have this special dried grass and it is extremely effective against the cold. Ask your finace to get you some in case it is needed.

Wear your coat inside out at least on one day when you are up north and while doing so ask for some window papers to put in your pocket for good luck. Best do it when you have those special grass in your boots. It just adds so many points to show your respect and understanding of the local custom.

Pack some safty gloves. The local ones rip easily.

I'm leaving on a jetplane!  I've only got a few loose ends to wrap up and I'll be ready to go.

Unfortunately I won't be getting my notarized, verified, authenticated marriage documents from Chicago before I leave. :o Not to worry too much though, Mom will fax them to ShuPing's sister and then UPS the originals.  It will only be a problem if Harbin tells us the fax is not good enough, then we'll have to wait to get the official marriage license until we're headed back to Beijing.  Yes, I do have them translated and I'll take that with me.

I've gotten quite a few extremely useful tips from you guys in the past few weeks.  Xie xie ni.  Wetnaps for the bathroom, long johns and snow boots for the cold, presents for the in-laws.  I'm leaving the hotel arrangements to ShuPing, buying a translator when I get there and getting cash instead of using credit cards.

la po is wife in Chinese

try this

may lee la po

beautiful wife

You will be a hero

I leave Saturday.

Mike

Mark,

Just curious,

Your Photo, av-566.jpg appears to be a Mark & ShuPing photo....

But, you often act like the two of you haven't met yet.....

Is it just a Mark & Old Girlfriend Photo? Cut & Paste?

Anyway, best wishes for your trip........

Hmmmm, some people have suggested packing TP on a few trips..... :D .... Perhaps a couple of rolls.... :o

----- Clifford -----

Clifford, you are very astute. No, ShuPing and I have never met. The pic is a cut and paste job. When I come back, it'll be the real deal.

I've got candy, buying cigarettes and some booze. I've got Timberline rip offs, but maybe a little grass sticking out of them would do the trick.

Cross your fingers for me that the faxes work, otherwise it could be a long trip. ShuPing insists that we can not sleep together until we are married, the wedding is set for Dec 24, though we had hoped to get the license on the 16th or 17th.

May lee LaoPo! Got it!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Clifford, you are very astute.  No, ShuPing and I have never met.  The pic is a cut and paste job.  When I come back, it'll be the real deal.

Damn, Clifford. How do you notice these things? I can barely make out the number of eyes on each face in all of these tiny pictures. :P

Jerry

Clifford, you are very astute.  No, ShuPing and I have never met.  The pic is a cut and paste job.  When I come back, it'll be the real deal.

Damn, Clifford. How do you notice these things? I can barely make out the number of eyes on each face in all of these tiny pictures. :D

Jerry

Jerry,

Let's see,

Your beautiful Fiancee has 2 eyes....

Plus your 1 eye (cyclops).... That makes 3, right?

:P

Mark's Cut and paste job is very convincing. I think we will have to post a poll, which one is "real", and which one is "fake", or were both people pasted into a new image.

Mark,

Are you sure you don't have a basement passport printing operation.... Just print out a blue one for ShuPing.... And you are all done!!!!!!! :P (oh, don't answer that one :))

----- CK -------

Gee....this should have opened the do to many Top !0 lists. I can't believe you didn't get the number one suggestion for a successful, enjoyful trip. Geez....CFL really let you down on this one. Let me be the one who really shows I care by providing you the one piece of advice I wished I would have followed:

CONDOMS!!!!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/alles_moegliche/mixed-smiley-023.gif