Affidavit from friends and family

Evidence is what it is, which is often not is what is "required", or what other people have submitted.

Item J under What Documents Do you Need to Prove Family Relationships? says

Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union

So, yes, letters are helpful, especially when they are written as the personal knowledge of the person writing them, NOT necessarily by some form provided by you or in a language they do not understand.

It is up to you to decide which letters provide the best picture of the true nature of your relationship, AND whether ones carrying notarization would be more effective.

Notarization or not? I would make that a practical consideration of which CAN easily be "notarized" - remember that an American notary will notarize the signature, while a Chinese notarial official will make a statement as to the "facts" presented.

I think most people do not bother with the notarization of these documents in China.

Letters from your family in the U.S. who have not met your wife can be helpful as showing support for your marriage. An emailed pdf copy should do just fine, or they can send via EMS (USPS Express Mail International) or other service, such as FedEX, or UPS). Be sure to include a full address label using Chinese characters.

Okay, thank you for the quick response and for clarifying things. I think I'll skip the notarization then, and just have people write them from the heart. I don't see much point in notarizing then, if I have both languages as well as their ID and contact info. I felt from the beginning that notarizing did no more than say, "This is this person's ID", nothing in terms of making it more reliable proof of our relationship.

Would you recommend my parents sending separate letters? And in terms of wording, is there anything legal sounding that should be included? I'll have all their contact info included. I'm imagining them sort of following this format. Any suggestions?

"To Whom it May Concern:

This letter is written as a testament to the marriage and relationship of (names here).

My relationship with them is...

I came to know of their relationship (when and how)...

Their relationship is....I support them...other personal stuff.

I personally attest to all that I have written as being true and factual, and hope that it can be used as evidence of the validity and truthfulness of (names here) relationship.

Name printed

Signature

ID number

Phone

Address"

Then I would include copies of their ID card or passport. Any thoughts? I'm particularly curious about who to address it to. I don't see a point in adding things like for "the application of a green card...", because I think that's assumed, and the point is only to give evidence of our relationship. Would that be correct? Thanks again!

Okay, thank you for the quick response and for clarifying things. I think I'll skip the notarization then, and just have people write them from the heart. I don't see much point in notarizing then, if I have both languages as well as their ID and contact info. I felt from the beginning that notarizing did no more than say, "This is this person's ID", nothing in terms of making it more reliable proof of our relationship.

Would you recommend my parents sending separate letters? And in terms of wording, is there anything legal sounding that should be included? I'll have all their contact info included. I'm imagining them sort of following this format. Any suggestions?

"To Whom it May Concern:

This letter is written as a testament to the marriage and relationship of (names here).

My relationship with them is...

I came to know of their relationship (when and how)...

Their relationship is....I support them...other personal stuff.

I personally attest to all that I have written as being true and factual, and hope that it can be used as evidence of the validity and truthfulness of (names here) relationship.

Name printed

Signature

ID number

Phone

Address"

Then I would include copies of their ID card or passport. Any thoughts? I'm particularly curious about who to address it to. I don't see a point in adding things like for "the application of a green card...", because I think that's assumed, and the point is only to give evidence of our relationship. Would that be correct? Thanks again!

Why not, like you say, "just have people write them from the heart"?

Evidence is evidence. Keep an eye out to the picture you are presenting with your evidence.