Guangzhou Hotel Question

aclassic

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I have posted anything. I am planning a business trip to Guangzhou in May. The last time I went to Guangzhou (2 1/2 years ago), I stayed in a very nice apartment near the American Embassy. This time I would like to stay in a Hotel near the Embassy. Should be nice but does not have to be five star. Can anyone help.

Thanks

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I have posted anything. I am planning a business trip to Guangzhou in May. The last time I went to Guangzhou (2 1/2 years ago), I stayed in a very nice apartment near the American Embassy. This time I would like to stay in a Hotel near the Embassy. Should be nice but does not have to be five star. Can anyone help.

Thanks

Do you mean the embassy building in Sha Main or the one in Tian He (near the east train station)?

Thanks

Do you mean the embassy building in Sha Main or the one in Tian He (near the east train station)?

I think they mean TianHe, they stayed in an appartment, sounds like the Yangs.

Note the Embassy Building is in Beijing. The Consulate General is on Shamain Island, and the Hotel there is The White Swan, a pricey 5 start hotel.

I stayed once in the Riverside hotel, nice place and not too expensive. http://www.riversidehotelguangzhou.cn/

More: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...=15&iwloc=A

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Yea your right ... consulate general building in sha mian and consular office functions in tian he.

I stayed at the Tianlu International Hotel (now called Jianguo Hotel) which is 2 minutes by walk from the consular building. It is shown for reference on the map the consulate website provides for the building location. The room was large, well decorated, and very clean.

You can get a deluxe king room for 400-500 rmb/night using other websites and/or or calling the hotel directly (chinese person of course .. )

http://hotels.english.ctrip.com/Domestic/S...Date=2010-01-22

In sha mian I like to stay at the Customs Hotel. Small, quite, cheap with nice rooms.

http://hotels.english.ctrip.com/Domestic/S...Date=2010-01-22

Edited by a2784 (see edit history)

Thanks

Hi! The one near the train station

Thanks

7 Days Inn has always met my expectations on price (maybe 140RMB/night?), cleanliness (reasonably clean, never saw any insects at the 4 or 5 I've stayed at in various cities), and service (usually staffed by friendly young people, has internet).

There's one down the street from the consulate -- make a right on tianhe bei lu and follow that until the pedestrian overpass (10-15 minute walk?), where you'll be able to see the yellow building.

7 Days Inn has always met my expectations on price (maybe 140RMB/night?), cleanliness (reasonably clean, never saw any insects at the 4 or 5 I've stayed at in various cities), and service (usually staffed by friendly young people, has internet).

There's one down the street from the consulate -- make a right on tianhe bei lu and follow that until the pedestrian overpass (10-15 minute walk?), where you'll be able to see the yellow building.

Stayed in a 7 days inn in downtown Guangzhou on my way out of country on my last trip. It wasn't fancy, but clean, quiet, and functional.

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Palace Hotel near the Visa office for a week. Very nice hotel with a price ($100.00/688 rmb a night). Breakfast (western and asian style) was free and received hotel coupons for lunch/diner, drinks and laundry.

• 2 months later...

Thanks

Stayed two nights on Shamian Island in the Guangdong Victory Hotel. My wife and I stayed in the West building. It is around the corner from the main hotel. Very nice location and rooms. Right now, all of the streets are under re-construction. They are getting ready for the Asian Games. I was told that everything needed to be completed in May.

To say the least, it was an adventure walking around all the construction.

Here is the reservation info for two nights:

Hotel (Reserved) Total price: $155.72

Guangdong Victory Hotel

Business Room West Building. Requests: 1 KING BED, Non-Smoking

Check in Sat 6-Mar-10

Check out Mon 8-Mar-10

No. 53, Shamian North Street

Guangzhou, Guangdong 510130 China

86 (20) 8121 6688 Fax 86 (20) 8121 9889

if the streets on Shamian island are being rebuilt, its the 4th. time since I was first there in 1997. Then, the concrete tiles still covered the shallow, sweet smelling sewer system which was typical even in 'modern' Chinese cities...

I thought that was all solved by 1999, when they put a ton of money into buried utilities, and beautiful polished stone curbs. By 2001, it was all torn up again (selectively) with piles of dirt----filled with porcelain shards (some with interesting images) --- from at least the Ming and Chin.

So its happening again?? Anyway, mossy around and see if you can find a souvenir shard with a nice image, painted on a crock by the artisan, 200 or 400 years ago...

By 2001, it was all torn up again (selectively) with piles of dirt----filled with porcelain shards (some with interesting images) --- from at least the Ming and Chin.

So its happening again?? Anyway, mossy around and see if you can find a souvenir shard with a nice image, painted on a crock by the artisan, 200 or 400 years ago...

FYI, transporting 200 year old artifact shards out of mainland China is against their laws, and probably an extremely bad idea. I'm just sayin.

By 2001, it was all torn up again (selectively) with piles of dirt----filled with porcelain shards (some with interesting images) --- from at least the Ming and Chin.

FYI, transporting 200 year old artifact shards out of mainland China is against their laws, and probably an extremely bad idea. I'm just sayin.

Chinese don't give a damn about pottery shards. There is so much around, it would be like taking 1960's era aluminum can pull tabs out of the US. Most are Chin, and since its Ming----back in time, that is restricted, there is really no chance of breaking the law.

It would take a (Chinese) Chinese porcelain expert to determine from one shard if it were Chin, or Ming...... academic as the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin.