China Tries a New Tack to Go Solar

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/business...tml?ref=science

As it moves rapidly to become the world¡¯s leader in nuclear power, wind energy and photovoltaic solar panels, China is taking tentative steps to master another alternative energy industry: using mirrors to capture sunlight, produce steam and generate electricity.

So-called concentrating solar power uses hundreds of thousands of mirrors to turn water into steam. The steam turns a conventional turbine similar to those in coal-fired power plants. The technology, which is potentially cheaper than most types of renewable power, has captivated many engineers and financiers in the last two years, with an abrupt surge in new patents and plans for large power operations in Europe and the United States.

This year may be China¡¯s turn. China is starting to build its own concentrating solar power plants, More.......

I wonder what is the most efficient green energy that can be used by individuals. I bought a house for my in-laws in Nanning. One concern is the on going engergy cost. Heating and hot water in the winter can be a lot of money for them (and the envirnment). Cooling should be of a lesser concern as it is by the river and has very good ventilation. Any suggestions? Been thinking about solar and not sure how much it would cost me. It is a three-story house (300+ Sm).

There is a 60 sq. m balcony that can be enclosed and turned into a greenroom (orchid and tropical garden). Wonder if that helps with the heating partially.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/business...tml?ref=science

As it moves rapidly to become the world’s leader in nuclear power, wind energy and photovoltaic solar panels, China is taking tentative steps to master another alternative energy industry: using mirrors to capture sunlight, produce steam and generate electricity.

So-called concentrating solar power uses hundreds of thousands of mirrors to turn water into steam. The steam turns a conventional turbine similar to those in coal-fired power plants. The technology, which is potentially cheaper than most types of renewable power, has captivated many engineers and financiers in the last two years, with an abrupt surge in new patents and plans for large power operations in Europe and the United States.

This year may be China’s turn. China is starting to build its own concentrating solar power plants, More.......

I wonder what the amount of "pollution" will do to the efficiency of this mirror-model?

I've been working on "conceptually" building a new-home here in Hawaii that is "energy neutral" or at least close to "I don't have to pay the utility companies here in Hawaii". I will tell you even in Hawaii, it is not an easy thing to accomplish. You'd think a place with tons of wind and sun and that imported 100% of it's energy in the form of crude oil would be a "powerhouse" in the alternative energy department. For all it's rhetoric it is basically in the stone age!

We've been house hunting due to our "INCREASED and INCREASING" family size and want to give up the condo and go to a single family dwelling. Without going into the details - it is near impossible to find any house in Hawaii that has incorporated even a modicum of energy saving ideas, energy generation methods, or even a passing thought to reduction of costs paid to oil and utility companies. It is appalling!

Oh, yes we have state tax savings for all the bells and whistles, we have a new law as of this Jan that one must install a solar water heater in all new home construction unless (the list is long with exceptions) but almost no one takes on the initial cost.

Hawaii has the highest cost per KWH of any place in the nation - and it is sinful what is going on here.

I don't make myself out to be an enivornmentalist (with 20 diapers a day into the garbage I couldn't even come close to that claim) but I just don't understand at least at a basic "untility and oil import level" total solar or a total push for alternative forms of energy aren't mandated in places, like Hawaii, that are conducieve to it's use.

As an aside, in Hawaii - we also have a law that the utility company must buy your "excess" electricity that you generate. It sort of "spins the meter" backwards when you outproduce your need. Of course there is a big effort to replace all meters with "digital meters" so they can charge customers MORE for electricity in the 5 PM - 10 PM and Sat-Sun --- of course when demand is greatest and people "actually USE the electricity". All the reason to put in a battery system along with your photovoltaic - so that you can battery draw first - during the peak useage hours - and avoid the charges. BTW - some of the utility bills in the 4000-6000 sq foot homes near Diamond Head (it's hot there with less wind) run $1000-2000 a month - depending on AC settings!

Any CFL'ers have personal experience that they may want to share with photovoltaic, battery storage, and off-grid/reverse grid electical setups for homes?

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)