Need some opinions

Im in a bind my friends. My SO's interview day is on the 22nd of DEC, but the plane tickets for me to get to GUZ are extremely high during the holidays? Im trying to figure out if i should ask the consulate to push back the interview or just take a big hit on my bank account? If i can reschedule does it normally take a extremely long time to get another interview date?

Im in a bind my friends. My SO's interview day is on the 22nd of DEC, but the plane tickets for me to get to GUZ are extremely high during the holidays? Im trying to figure out if i should ask the consulate to push back the interview or just take a big hit on my bank account? If i can reschedule does it normally take a extremely long time to get another interview date?

From what I have heard I believe that rescheduling will cost you about 1 to 2 months. I know what you mean about ticket prices, I have been checking as well. They go up on the 21 of Dec and do not go back down until Jan 14. I have been looking on flychina.com they seem to have the best prices around.

Robert

From what I have heard I believe that rescheduling will cost you about 1 to 2 months. I know what you mean about ticket prices, I have been checking as well. They go up on the 21 of Dec and do not go back down until Jan 14. I have been looking on flychina.com they seem to have the best prices around.

Robert

Check flying to Hong Kong. You can catch a bus or a train to Guangzhou. Good Luck at the interview.

I will only say this........

You being there for the interview is very important.

Really? I can see people jumping in and say "Well you should be there for her!" Yeah, that'd be nice, but that's on a relationship-by-relationship basis. My wife was stoked that I could go with her, but she'd tell you she'd be fine by herself, and knowing my wife, she would of been.

Will the consulate officers dock her a few points for you not being there? Doubt it. You're in the States, man! For me, being in China with my wife, well, then, it may be a different ballgame - but I'm not even sure of that.

I have to believe that the consulate understands all of this. It comes down to doing what you can do. That's it.

If you can make it, then I agree that you should try. It will be nice for Yi Han to have you there, but if you can't because of finances or employment issues, then don't fret over it (I'm not saying you are). IF it were me, I WOULD NOT reschedule her appointment. To me, that's just inviting potential office mishaps and prolonged anxiety.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

I wouldn't reschedule. It could delay your visa for months and make the consulate wonder why.

I believe it is important to go to the interview if possible but it certainly isn't an automatic dis qualifier. I can only tell you my own experience. I decided I would rather save the money and vacation time for a honeymoon than go to the interview. When my wife got to Guangzhou she was alone, scared, nervous and unsure of herself. If I had been there I could have given her emotional support and encouragement. I wasn't there for her when she needed me and I still feel guilty about that 5 1/2 years later. One thing almost everyone agrees on, confidence helps. If you think being there will give her that then it would be wise to go.

Really? I can see people jumping in and say "Well you should be there for her!" Yeah, that'd be nice, but that's on a relationship-by-relationship basis. My wife was stoked that I could go with her, but she'd tell you she'd be fine by herself, and knowing my wife, she would of been.

Will the consulate officers dock her a few points for you not being there? Doubt it. You're in the States, man! For me, being in China with my wife, well, then, it may be a different ballgame - but I'm not even sure of that.

I have to believe that the consulate understands all of this. It comes down to doing what you can do. That's it.

If you can make it, then I agree that you should try. It will be nice for Yi Han to have you there, but if you can't because of finances or employment issues, then don't fret over it (I'm not saying you are). IF it were me, I WOULD NOT reschedule her appointment. To me, that's just inviting potential office mishaps and prolonged anxiety.

I disagree with this based ONLY on my experience and hence the statement that you being there is very important.

I WOULD NOT reschedule her appointment. To me, that's just inviting potential office mishaps and prolonged anxiety

I agree with Kyle on this

Just playing devil's advocate here.

What will be the reason that you give to the consulate, if you were asked? If you say something to the effect of "trying to save money", wouldn't that be a red flag to them that you may be having financial issues? As the interview is a very important part of the process, since everything you've worked so hard for literally boils down to that moment, my advice is not to mess around with it.

By the way, do you live near any chinatown or places with chinese travel agencies? I've found those to have the best prices. Typically, these agencies have arrangements to block out large number of seats on most flights to HK or major cities in China. I've never seen any website match their prices. Alternatively, you can google for chinese travel agencies in NY,NY or SF,CA, etc. and call them for a quote. You should be able to pay for everything over the phone with a credit card, since most of them issue etickets anyway.

If you have enough vacation, leave earlier. I believe the prices are still very reasonable during early December. Call and check it out.

By the way, if you need a chinese visa to enter the mainland, most of these travel agencies can turn it around for you too (at least the ones by me do.) They only surcharge you $10 for the privilege, although the turn around time is about 2 weeks. It beats doing it yourself, or giving some visa outfits a big payday.

I would echo people who say not to reschedule. If you cannot make it, you cannot make it. Another point to note is that if you do reschedule, it may be close to the Chinese New Year. Trust me, you do not want to be traveling at that time within China (if your wife is not from Guangzhou she will be using train/plane to get there). When we traveled a week before Chinese New Year, I had a panic attack because there were just so many people in the train...couldn't even walk to the bathroom. So for that reason, as well, I would not want to risk rescheduling it and getting a date very close to Chinese New Year.

Just by looking at your timeline, I would say you have a fairly strong case because you met while working together and waited almost a year before you filed. Of course I cannot say anything for sure, no one can, but if you have everything prepared for her, she should be fine at the interview alone if you should choose not to go.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes!

I would like to offer a different perspective.......examine your conscience. Sure it will be expensive but you can always get more money but you can't go back after it is done.

I did not go to my wife's first interview and she was denied. My being there might have not made a difference it the outcome but it sure would have given my wife someone to blame in person. :D :D And I am sure she would have come at me with mops in both hands! :D

I was there for the second interview and it gave her the emotional support she really needed. She was confident and passed.

Only you can make that decision. Good luck!!

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

I would like to offer a different prospective.......examine your conscience. Sure it will be expensive but you can always get more money but you can't go back after it is done.

I did not go to my wife's first interview and she was denied. My being there might have not made a difference it the outcome but it sure would have given my wife someone to blame in person. :D :D And I am sure she would have come at me with mops in both hands! :D

I was there for the second interview and it gave her the emotional support she really needed. She was confident and passed.

I like and agree with your perspective. I know that me being there for my hubby was more important to him than the outcome.

I agree that if you can afford to do it, even if it means having to pinch pennies for a few months, it would probably mean a lot to her. On the other hand, I am sure she would understand and respect your decision if you choose to stay stateside.

I would like to offer a different perspective.......examine your conscience. Sure it will be expensive but you can always get more money but you can't go back after it is done.

I did not go to my wife's first interview and she was denied. My being there might have not made a difference it the outcome but it sure would have given my wife someone to blame in person. :huh: :lol: And I am sure she would have come at me with mops in both hands! :blink:

I like and agree with your perspective. I know that me being there for my hubby was more important to him than the outcome.

I agree that if you can afford to do it, even if it means having to pinch pennies for a few months, it would probably mean a lot to her. On the other hand, I am sure she would understand and respect your decision if you choose to stay stateside.

My wife understood and respected my decision not to come. But after the denial I sure heard about how bad a decision I made. :ph34r:

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

your experience is totally different from others , you are DCF living in china has nothing in common with other visas, apart from you say not important to be there , but you were for ACS,ACH and interview CORRECT ?