Special home appliances

dnoblett

Put a Corn Burner in our home....is actually a fireplace insert that vents out the side of what was the old chimney (tore the old chimney down and sealed it off and roofed over where it once was) and now have a fireplace that actually adds heat to the home....of course to do this, must need a reliable source of corn....got ours locally after seeing them at a farm expo show

Not sure what a corn burner is... (cobs perhaps?)

Didn't see this thread when if first came through, but as to soy milk-----just remember, that because its white---doesn't mean is has enough calcium-----------shown to be essential (with vitamin D) for bone health.

Commercial Soy Milk almost always is fortified with both calcium along with V-D...

Not sure what a corn burner is... (cobs perhaps?)

Didn't see this thread when if first came through, but as to soy milk-----just remember, that because its white---doesn't mean is has enough calcium-----------shown to be essential (with vitamin D) for bone health.

Commercial Soy Milk almost always is fortified with both calcium along with V-D...

corn burner...only burns shelled corn, no cobs....for those who have steady access to clean shelled corn, is a good supplemental source of heat for the home during the winter months....puts out (I think) 40,000btu

• 3 months later...

We purchased a Tatung 1500 watt induction cooker to use when preparing hot pot meals. We have had it about two months now and it has performed very well. My wife became interested in it when we saw one for sale in El Paso. After doing some investigation I purchased one online for a cheaper price ($89 vs $110 plus free shipping).

The only draw back is that you have to have a ferrous pot or pan to use it. It does come with its own pot and luckily we have two other pots which are either iron or stainless steal.

It is a single burner table top model. It heats up the pots very quickly and seems to be cost effective. My wife uses it to cook other foods on occasion as she feels that it releases less heat in the kitchen.

Based on what we have seen so far I am considering buying a stove with an induction cook top if the gas stove we have ever gives up the ghost. They are a bit pricey right now but hopefully they will go down plus there might be some overall energy savings as well.

• 3 months later...
Guest GunSlinger

I don't really care that much about the soy milk other than it makes my wife happy but the pressure cooker makes the best ribs I have ever eaten.

I don't really care that much about the soy milk other than it makes my wife happy but the pressure cooker makes the best ribs I have ever eaten.

I make the best ribs that you have never eaten, I know its a pretty bold statement but it's true :lol:

I hope you make enough for everybody.

• 1 month later...

Before we cam to USA I bought an outlet, the kind that takes all the different chinese plugs, my wife looked at me like I was crazy ( she said she knew it before I told her)---'why do you want that", when we got home i hooked it to a special cord that plugs into my 220 compressor outlet so she could charge her camera ---wife happy, tells new friend, new friend gives her clothes presser that was brought from china, never used because they could not plug it in, another new friend gives her soy milk maker they brought here but could not use ---it runs a little faster on 60 cycles but has lasted 2 years so far, the bug swatters have died, but I think that was from her habit of frying the bugs to a crisp after they were dead.

You have to get the mounting box, they don't match up to any of the usa boxes, the outlet I got has built in child protection doors that cover the openings.

I don't know about all the appliances, I checked to be sure that neither prong was grounded to anything metal - china is 220 to neutral, us is 110 to neutral--both wires of 220 are 110 to neutral(ground)

• 2 years later...

I was reading this, and think I might try a soy milk maker.

Currently I buy our soy milk from costco, but its about $1.30 a quart, and we go though about a quart a day.

Problem is, I was trying to compute the cost and I can't figure out where to buy soy beans.

Ideas, hints?

Saw this catalog today when having lunch with my wife. Seems a good source for supplements, beauty supplies, and appliances.

http://www.hsuginseng.com/

I've been thinking about this and realize living within and among the largest US Chinese community, we have available just about everything and anything you'd want or get in China.

Leiqin goes to the Chinese herbalist ~ once a month to buy her special herbs and medicines. Stores here have Wisconsin and Korean ginsing by the barrel.

Point is, if anyone wants to send us a list of things you need that you must have and can't find where you live, send me a PM (in Chinese OK) and we'll purchase and mail it to you... prepaid (within reason).

Or PM me with your phone number and I'll have Leiqin call and talk to your wife about her needs.

Edited by DennisLeiqin (see edit history)

Currently I buy our soy milk from costco, but its about $1.30 a quart, and we go though about a quart a day.

Problem is, I was trying to compute the cost and I can't figure out where to buy soy beans.

Ideas, hints?

Try the an asian market. Even your local grocery store should have them, they tend to be dried probably with rice, or other types of dried beans.

http://candleforlove...ood-stores-etc/

My wife buys all types of soybeans there.

Ideas, hints?

I bought a soy milk make a little while back and I love it!!! We get our beans at the Asian grocery stores with the cheapest being about 3.99 for 5 pounds.

Any natural food store and many super markets have soy beans. We buy them at an Asian market for about 78 cents per pound. We bought a soy milk machine on eBay about a year and a half ago for 35 dollars. After I found out I have diabetes I quit drinking milk because it has about 11 Gs of natural sugars per serving. Now I drink soy milk instead. A little artificial sweetener and some sugar free hazelnut creamer makes it taste pretty good.