Do I need email DS-3020 to NVCINQUIRY@state.gov or NVCGuangzhou@state.

Once I got the GUZ case number I went online and paid the AOS and IV fees. Then, I wrote the DS-3032 email for my wife and sent it to her, where she simply 'forwarded' it to the NVC requesting that we be allowed to OPTIN to the electronic processing.

Once the AOS and IV fees were showing as PAID I printed copies of the payment notices with the barcodes, and also scanned them into my computer as PDF files. I then started calling the NVC to see if we were assigned the new GZO number.

After about a week I called again and the operator gave me the new GZO number over the phone. She then must have authorized the email notification from the NVC because I then received the GZO email notice in my email about 15 minutes after I spoke with her.

Once I had the GZO number, I went to the State Dept website that specifies which documents get sent to the NVC for the AOS package and also which civil documents are sent. There are 2 different catagories.

I had to convert all the document files from JPEG to PDF, which I did and then emailed them as compressed files to the NVC this past weekend. Now, I am waiting for an email confirmation from them saying that all the files were received and if there is anything else they need me to send to them.

I didn't have any problems with them accepting our email request to OPTIN to the electronic processing or giving us the GZO number, even though we have an attorney on record. And as far as I know at this moment, I didn't have any issues with them accepting the documents that I emailed to them even though there is an attorney on record.

One thing though, when I first started calling the NVC to get the GUZ number, on my first call the operator verified our contact info including email. I did NOT tell her that we had an attorney of record involved in the case-another CFL member who also went through the electronic process told me that IF you tell the NVC operator there is an attorney on record and give their contact info, then they will NOT accept anything unless it is emailed from the attorney, unless you remove the attorney from your case.

Interesting...proves things are really by the seat of the pants...I never told NVC I had an attorney. When I emailed to OPTIN the reply said their records indicated that I had an attorney and all communication on my case would have to be through them unless I removed them from my case.

Once I got the GUZ case number I went online and paid the AOS and IV fees. Then, I wrote the DS-3032 email for my wife and sent it to her, where she simply 'forwarded' it to the NVC requesting that we be allowed to OPTIN to the electronic processing.

Once the AOS and IV fees were showing as PAID I printed copies of the payment notices with the barcodes, and also scanned them into my computer as PDF files. I then started calling the NVC to see if we were assigned the new GZO number.

After about a week I called again and the operator gave me the new GZO number over the phone. She then must have authorized the email notification from the NVC because I then received the GZO email notice in my email about 15 minutes after I spoke with her.

Once I had the GZO number, I went to the State Dept website that specifies which documents get sent to the NVC for the AOS package and also which civil documents are sent. There are 2 different catagories.

I had to convert all the document files from JPEG to PDF, which I did and then emailed them as compressed files to the NVC this past weekend. Now, I am waiting for an email confirmation from them saying that all the files were received and if there is anything else they need me to send to them.

I didn't have any problems with them accepting our email request to OPTIN to the electronic processing or giving us the GZO number, even though we have an attorney on record. And as far as I know at this moment, I didn't have any issues with them accepting the documents that I emailed to them even though there is an attorney on record.

One thing though, when I first started calling the NVC to get the GUZ number, on my first call the operator verified our contact info including email. I did NOT tell her that we had an attorney of record involved in the case-another CFL member who also went through the electronic process told me that IF you tell the NVC operator there is an attorney on record and give their contact info, then they will NOT accept anything unless it is emailed from the attorney, unless you remove the attorney from your case.

Did you fill out the forms, save, print, sign and then scan or do you send them the filled out PDF forms without signature?

It is unclear to me if they want the forms signed or not. When I OPT-IN to electronic processing I did not sign the DS-3032 but just sent in the filled out PDF form.

Did you fill out the forms, save, print, sign and then scan or do you send them the filled out PDF forms without signature?

It is unclear to me if they want the forms signed or not. When I OPT-IN to electronic processing I did not sign the DS-3032 but just sent in the filled out PDF form.

From an NVC operator

NVC wants the OPTIN email with the attached DS-3032.pdf signed by the applicant (beneficiary) but, later the original signed will do.

They are apparently still in a state of confusion, however, and accepting the unsigned form.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

What about the I-864 and DS-230 forms - do you have to sign and then scan them or just email the filled out forms?

They are somewhat vague on exactly what to do there - the paper forms ultimately will be submitted at the interview.

But the form DOES call for a signature, so it might be best to print it, sign it, scan it, and convert to pdf to email now. I think some of the HP scanner drivers will save as a pdf, or check out the CutePDF program http://www.cutepdf.com/ freeware or Pro version for $49.

I would be sure to call up anything you submit in Adobe Acrobat reader to be sure it will work.

This step does not seem very well thought out at their end - they don't give specific directions, or tell you how to convert to pdf. So for now, I think everybody's just winging it.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This is why I cant explain to David how it works. I am going through the process now but it seems that "anything goes". Here is my process so far:

(1) Once I got the GUZ NVC case number I wrote the opt-in email per the instructions and provided my email and my wife's email address. I filled out the DS-3032 and signed it (for my wife). I did not attach a barcode because I did not have one (and still am unclear on where/how you get one). No where do the instructions say the emails have to come from the beneficiary but since the old system required the DS-3032 to come from the beneficiary I assume the same is true. I am also sure many people did not follow this requirement.

(2) NVCGuz replied back that I had an attorney on record and neither I nor my wife were authorized to correspond with them.

(3) My attorney said if they applied for electronic processing then they would have to scan all the forms, blah blah...so I wrote NVCInquiry an email and removed the attorney from my CR-1 case

(4) A week later I got back the email from NVCGuz with the new NVC GZO number and telling me to direct all correspondence to the NVCGuz email address. It confirmed I was now in electronic processing and told me an AOS Invoice and IV Invoice had already been mailed out.

(5) Got copies of the invoices from my attorney and then went on-line to make the payments.

This is as far as I got. For most people 2/3 should not be needed. After confirmation of Opt-In one should get the AOS/IV invoice mailed to them.

Hope this helps David.

Yes - they seem to be pretty loose with the sequence of events, and the "from the beneficiary" idea, which has been somewhat reliably confirmed.

The only hint they give to this is when they talk about the DS-3032 as being something that "you" attach to the OPT-IN email

What I've heard is that once you have been OPT'ed IN to the electronic processing, you will receive an email containing your GZO number and directions about what to do next. Each step will then get a response telling you what to do next.

The kicker is waiting for the response, and not getting accurate information from the operators, who make the assumption that you are a paper customer.

The GZO number is different from the original GUZ number (the numbers are different, not just the prefix)

The only difference in the case numbers for us was: the prefix of GUZ vs GZO, and the last three numbers. The number of 2009 following the prefix (GZO) was the same, then the next three numbers were the same also. The very last three were different, as I assume these are Guangzhou's numbers for the electronic processing cases.

The only difference in the case numbers for us was: the prefix of GUZ vs GZO, and the last three numbers. The number of 2009 following the prefix (GZO) was the same, then the next three numbers were the same also. The very last three were different, as I assume these are Guangzhou's numbers for the electronic processing cases.

Of course, the 2009 is the year, the next three digits are a grouping code

What about the I-864 and DS-230 forms - do you have to sign and then scan them or just email the filled out forms?

I printed out the forms that needed to be signed, signed them, and then scanned them back into a saved file. It was the saved files with the signatures which I emailed to the NVC.

In the Army it was always ok to write "Original Signed" into the signature block but were prepared to present the original signature at a later date. I don't know if the NVC or the rest of the government will abide by that, and I wasn't going to take the chance.

I think the electronic processing is so new that nobody really has a grip on the exact procedures. It all depends on the luck of the draw on whom you get as an NVC operator, and possibly an NVC caseworker also.

The GUZ interview process is where it really matters-whatever you sent the NVC just be sure that the originals are present at the interview.

Edited by splinterman (see edit history)

I printed out the forms that needed to be signed, signed them, and then scanned them back into a saved file. It was the saved files with the signatures which I emailed to the NVC.

In the Army it was always ok to write "Original Signed" into the signature block but were prepared to present the original signature at a later date. I don't know if the NVC or the rest of the government will abide by that, and I wasn't going to take the chance.

I think the electronic processing is so new that nobody really has a grip on the exact procedures. It all depends on the luck of the draw on whom you get as an NVC operator, and possibly an NVC caseworker also.

The GUZ interview process is where it really matters-whatever you sent the NVC just be sure that the originals are present at the interview.

How did you organize applicant's documents and petitioner's documents? Did you scan and combine ALL applicant's docuemnts in to ONE PDF file or keep each individual document as one file and then zip ALL files into one zipped file and send to NVCGuangzhou@state.gov?

Another question: Did you put a check list or cover sheet in the front of all documents so that the VO will know what documents in the file?

Thanks a lot!

How did you organize applicant's documents and petitioner's documents? Did you scan and combine ALL applicant's docuemnts in to ONE PDF file or keep each individual document as one file and then zip ALL files into one zipped file and send to NVCGuangzhou@state.gov?

Another question: Did you put a check list or cover sheet in the front of all documents so that the VO will know what documents in the file?

Thanks a lot!

All documents pertaining to myself, the Petitioner, were scanned and sent in a couple compressed files which were identified in the body of the email message as "Petitioner Documents".

All beneficiary documents were identified as such in the body of the emails that contained documents pertaining to my wife, and were sent to the NVC that way.

Yes, I drew up a cover sheet/checklist that I put right on top of the I-864 documents, tax return copies, IRS transcripts, etc. and tabbed each exhibit for quick/easy reference for my wife when she is asked by the VO to present them. I also enclosed the barcoded forms and receipts for the AOS and IV fee payments along with all the financial-related documents.

When I go to China before my wife's interview, I will have expandable/tabbed folders to put all of our documents in and have checklists showing what is in each folder so she can find the documents quickly. I'll organize everything for her before the interview and make sure she knows what she has and where it is.

I am snail-mailing the hard copies of the I-864 and related papers to my wife, already organized and tabbed. She can look them over and familiarize while we wait for our interview date to be set.

Edited by splinterman (see edit history)

Thanks a lot!

All documents pertaining to myself, the Petitioner, were scanned and sent in a couple compressed files which were identified in the body of the email message as "Petitioner Documents".

All beneficiary documents were identified as such in the body of the emails that contained documents pertaining to my wife, and were sent to the NVC that way.

Yes, I drew up a cover sheet/checklist that I put right on top of the I-864 documents, tax return copies, IRS transcripts, etc. and tabbed each exhibit for quick/easy reference for my wife when she is asked by the VO to present them. I also enclosed the barcoded forms and receipts for the AOS and IV fee payments along with all the financial-related documents.

When I go to China before my wife's interview, I will have expandable/tabbed folders to put all of our documents in and have checklists showing what is in each folder so she can find the documents quickly. I'll organize everything for her before the interview and make sure she knows what she has and where it is.

I am snail-mailing the hard copies of the I-864 and related papers to my wife, already organized and tabbed. She can look them over and familiarize while we wait for our interview date to be set.

Hello splinterman,

Thank you so much for your very clear explanation!

Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

Hello splinterman,

Thank you so much for your very clear explanation!

Good luck!

You're most welcome, Hailong, and I wish you the best of luck!