P-3 DS-230 Questions

We are DCF IR-1

DS-230

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf

Q32b - In what occupation do you intend to work in the United States?

We answered "Unknown". Although Jingjing wants to attend school, realistically, both of us are going to have to work first so we can get "on our feet". Jingjing understands this, but at this time, she doesn't know what will be available to her. Is our answer sufficient?

Q33 - Degree or Diploma

First, Jingjing calls it a degree, but it isn't a college accredited degree. The school she went to was a four year vocational nursing school that she started after junior high (age 16).

Because she did not receive an accredited degree, what should we put? She did receive a certificate stating that she finished the vocational schooling, but in no way would this schooling go toward a degree in the United States. In addition, because she skipped high school, to begin her vocational training, she doesn't have a high school degree. Once she's in America, she will get her GED, so she can later pursue college. China does not have a GED program, so if you miss the boat, so to speak, you're out of luck.

Also, concerning her schooling, how far back should we go? The school system in China is as follows:

Primary School (USA K-5)

Junior High (USA 6-9)

Senior High (USA 10-12)

Jingjing only finished primary and Junior, so should we include those as well as her vocational training?

DS-230 Part 2 Question

Q39 - Name and address of petitioner

We put our address in China. But, should I put my address in America instead? Part 2 Q43 a and b deal with receiving a SSN card. If I answer Q39 with my Chinese address, how would this work? I seem to remember reading somewhere that this isn't even an option with those filing DCF. Am I remembering correctly?

After we gain insight to these questions, we will be ready to mail back our P3.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up..._169-May.09.pdf

Also for those familiar with OF-169, do we need to check the boxes for "Original Documents" and "Resumes"?

I'm reading the "Original Documents" information as immigrating through a family member other than a spouse. If I am reading this correctly, then no, we shouldn't check it, correct? I guess the only thing that is throwing me, is that the "Original Docs" include photographs.

"Resumes" My wife will include a resume in her kitchen sink, but she has read that we shouldn't check it because it pertains to professionals, such as researchers and scholars. Thus, for the everyday "joe or jane" a resume isn't particularly needed - so we should leave it unchecked. Is her understanding correct?

Thank you for wading through all of this. Any advice and clarification you can give is greatly appreciated.

KJJ,

You should be aware that the DS-230 form that they mailed us and the ones available online have changed slightly, in terms of numbering. Therefore, take a look at your forms carefully. The new numbers for the questions you asked are #22 and #23. It's weird though, because both forms say expire 02/29/2012. In the end, I guess you could use either form, but I'd err on the side of safety.

As for your questions, I'd say occupation, just say anything as long as she backs it up in the interview. As for your second question, I infer "educational institution" to mean college or university. In your case, I would just put her nursing vocational school info and label diploma.

We did not check the resumes or original documents checklist. Original documents is for family-based visas, we are considered different under spousal.

For answer #39, we are intending to use our address in China.

Keep me updated if you find anymore information.

For answer #39, we are intending to use our address in China.

So did you guys opt to get a SSN card?

We have narrowed our questions down to one.

On the DS-230, when it asks for my (Kyle's) occupation, I do not know whether I should answer "Student" or "Consultant"

On my 2008 tax forms, my occupation is labeled as an "Consultant" but, that I entered the country on a "Student" visa.

On my submitted G325A, my employment is labeled as follows:

JAN 2008 - AUG 2009 - Consultant

JUN 2007 - Present - Student

I am leaning toward student, but, I wanted to make sure with someone first, that I'm not making a mistake. As soon as this issue is resolved, we'll be able to mail back our P3.

Thank you for your help,

You entered China as a student, I would use student.

You can check the request SSN, however if one doed not show up in the mail a few weeks after entry to the USA, you will need to go to SSA and apply for one.

China address for #39 is fine.

#10 OR #11 tells them where to mail green-card.

OK at the behest of my wife, I am reluctantly making two more questions.

1. On the DS-230, how far back should my wife go concerning her education? Is it necessary to list her junior and primary schools? Personally, I don't think it is.

2. Should we mail back both parts, one and two? The way the instructions for the DS-230 read, it sure sounds like it. This however, conflicts with what I've read in various posts and forums.

You can check the request SSN, however if one doed not show up in the mail a few weeks after entry to the USA, you will need to go to SSA and apply for one.

I agree, the SSN and green card should be mailed to address in #10. We did request a SS#, but you may not want to request one now since I believe you wanted to change her name to your last name. In that case you might want to wait until you arrive in the US and go to their offices to request name change. Either way, a SS card is free as long as it's under 10 times in total and so many in a year.

Also, I would go with student, because technically you still are a student. Of course, that depends on how much you are reporting on the I-864. If it's a lot, then I would go with consultant. I remember you were having your parents co-sponsor you though.

For education, I would just label nursing vocational school and put diploma. Don't bother with going back any further. My SO graduated from Uni, so we just put that.

I sent you a PM regarding DS-230.

I agree, the SSN and green card should be mailed to address in #10. We did request a SS#, but you may not want to request one now since I believe you wanted to change her name to your last name. In that case you might want to wait until you arrive in the US and go to their offices to request name change. Either way, a SS card is free as long as it's under 10 times in total and so many in a year.

Also, I would go with student, because technically you still are a student. Of course, that depends on how much you are reporting on the I-864. If it's a lot, then I would go with consultant. I remember you were having your parents co-sponsor you though.

For education, I would just label nursing vocational school and put diploma. Don't bother with going back any further. My SO graduated from Uni, so we just put that.

I sent you a PM regarding DS-230.

Thanks, Lee and Dan, for confirming my thought process. We appreciate the help.

OK at the behest of my wife, I am reluctantly making two more questions.

1. On the DS-230, how far back should my wife go concerning her education? Is it necessary to list her junior and primary schools? Personally, I don't think it is.

2. Should we mail back both parts, one and two? The way the instructions for the DS-230 read, it sure sounds like it. This however, conflicts with what I've read in various posts and forums.

1) We only listed College education.

2) Depends on Visa, K-Visas only use part 1, IR-Visas use part 1 and 2 so mail back both parts, I would print 2 copies, one to send to the consulate and one to carry into the consulate.

1) We only listed College education.

2) Depends on Visa, K-Visas only use part 1, IR-Visas use part 1 and 2 so mail back both parts, I would print 2 copies, one to send to the consulate and one to carry into the consulate.

This is pretty important because all over the forums people are just mentioning sending back part 1. Of course, that's also because most people are applying for K-1. However, this should definitely be noted for IR-1 and CR-1 applications. Like Dan said, I would print 2 copies and send both parts 1 and 2 to consulate no matter which one I was applying for. Just in case.

One last note, many people get confused as to what to do at the bottom of page 4 where is says "Do not write below this line" do as it says, don't sign page 4, this will be handled at the interview.

I know Kyle knows this, but it does get asked about.

KJJ,

You should be aware that the DS-230 form that they mailed us and the ones available online have changed slightly, in terms of numbering. Therefore, take a look at your forms carefully. The new numbers for the questions you asked are #22 and #23. It's weird though, because both forms say expire 02/29/2012. In the end, I guess you could use either form, but I'd err on the side of safety.

For future reference:

The physical GS-230's, GUZ is currently sending out, were revised on 02-2009.

The PDF GS-230 form on their website is newer - revised 05/2009. The DoS is also using this updated form on their website.

Lee is right, both versions expire 02/29/2012.