Can I borrow someones time machine?

I just want to jump ahead 10 months..:lol:

Also have a real question. How long will it take for a letter(bank card) to get to Nanchang China from the USA. Also has anyone used the USPS package options they have where if it fits in the box it ships for one price no matter the weight?

Robert

But for drawing money from an ATM, all she needs is the PIN, and a machine that will accept your bank card.

That was a problem we had in Yulin, that no machine there would accept the PayPal card I sent, although it worked fine in other parts of China.

I just want to jump ahead 10 months..:)

Also have a real question. How long will it take for a letter(bank card) to get to Nanchang China from the USA. Also has anyone used the USPS package options they have where if it fits in the box it ships for one price no matter the weight?

Robert

My quantum batteries need to be phased to go into superposition before the machine can be used again

I have always sent my letters and packages via USPS "registered" and all have arrived.

I have always sent my letters and packages via USPS "registered" and all have arrived.

You have had much better luck then me. Whenever sending any type of package to Hunan (Changsha) using the USPS it was a crap shoot. Anytime the package had more then just paper items inside, it never arrived. When they did arrive (Illinois to Changsha) they were always right at 3 weeks for regular mail.

Another thing I noticed while sending packages there using USPS is that whenever the envelopes or packages included stamps rather then "postage paid" stickers they never made it. I always assumed that somewhere along the line someone had a fancy for the American stamps.

Once a USPS package hits China it is no longer under the control of the USPS. At least thats what I was told when inquiring about missing items.

From my experiences, I would never send a bank card, anything of value or anything containing personal information using USPS to China. DHL was my preferred method but the cost was very high.

Bank Cards - Check oversea rates for usage. I have found the bigger banks charge around 3% per transaction while a small local bank charged 0%. I set up a specific account at the small bank to be used exclusively for transactions in China.

Flat rate boxes or envelopes - Within the states they are great and very competitive.

Good luck

But for drawing money from an ATM, all she needs is the PIN, and a machine that will accept your bank card.

That was a problem we had in Yulin, that no machine there would accept the PayPal card I sent, although it worked fine in other parts of China.

I whole-heartidly agree with Randy.

An ATM card can be a blessing and a devil in disguise. I sent one to Yin (my wife) in China way back when in 2004. She used it frugally and when she really needed it to process paperwork, ¡°mad money,¡± setting up marriage photo arrangements, making reservations for the banquets after the ceremony, etc, etc. She already knew and I emphasized this point, which it was not ¡°carte blanche.¡± When she made charges, she called me within one or two days, what she had done and/or charged, and what she did it for, etc. I this way I could keep my accounts in line and not suck up an overcharge fee. However, give your personal bank a ¡°heads-up¡± that she has this access. Otherwise, they might inadvertently close the account down, when they begin to see ¡°unexplained¡± charges from China. Now, you will have some serious explaining to do to the ¡°better-half, ¡° with issues like: ¡°No honey! I¡¯m not broke and I¡¯m playing your heart!¡± Use your imagination, and try to explain that it is the banks fault! LOL! Good F _ _ing luck on this endeavor with a Chinese woman!

BTW, a nice subtle way to check your future wife and how she handles money in your futures. If she sucks today; she probably will suck in the future, regard to financial matters in your futures. My opinion only.

This arrangement worked out very well for the both of us, and five years later we still have the same communication regard to finances.

My wife and I are Bank of America customers. She was not charged overseas fees, etc. This information is a recent as May, 2009. However, the banks service fees will charge, will vary from bank to bank. May I suggest shopping around a bit? The rates that they charge will vary. Yin¡¯s last visit to China, she wasn¡¯t charged any fees for ATM withdrawal. I raised my withdrawal limits $1,500 at a single withdrawal from China. In the US, I maintained my standard withdrawal limits. This requires a separate visit to the bank and setting this arrangement up, on your part.

The largest key logo (North Star logo) that most banks in China want to see is this the three half sails, with STAR, PlusStar. The individual ATMs will/should show what cards they accept/ or not accept. Most of my transfers were so large, that a ATMs wouldn't have worked. Therefore, I was forced to stand in line with a passport. However. I can't see where this would impact your fiancee.

After that; the bank rates are to you and the ¡°better-half.¡± I know that People¡¯s Agriculture Bank has personal ties with Bank of America. There probably is a lot more banks, and other members can chime in. This particular bank in Chengdu is the most convenient for us.

Therefore, the fees are reduced and/or the same.

Regard to your original question/topic; I opted for speed, and accuracy of delivery. I didn¡¯t want to muck around for prices, with my wife¡¯s visa paperwork, supporting documents, etc. I stayed with FEDEX, and when it wasn¡¯t time-critical I used USPS overnight, with delivery conformation. Generally, it cost me about $40 to 50 dollars a pop!

However, what is the price of a blue slip? Priceless! And only the good Lord himself knows how much grief the both of you will suffer! Just get the paperwork accurately delivered and F _ _ _ the costs. The both of you have enough crap to worry about already.

Dave

You have had much better luck then me. Whenever sending any type of package to Hunan (Changsha) using the USPS it was a crap shoot. Anytime the package had more then just paper items inside, it never arrived. When they did arrive (Illinois to Changsha) they were always right at 3 weeks for regular mail.

Another thing I noticed while sending packages there using USPS is that whenever the envelopes or packages included stamps rather then "postage paid" stickers they never made it. I always assumed that somewhere along the line someone had a fancy for the American stamps.

Once a USPS package hits China it is no longer under the control of the USPS. At least thats what I was told when inquiring about missing items.

From my experiences, I would never send a bank card, anything of value or anything containing personal information using USPS to China. DHL was my preferred method but the cost was very high.

Bank Cards - Check oversea rates for usage. I have found the bigger banks charge around 3% per transaction while a small local bank charged 0%. I set up a specific account at the small bank to be used exclusively for transactions in China.

Flat rate boxes or envelopes - Within the states they are great and very competitive.

Good luck

I use USPS to send Global Express to Hunan Province "XiangTan", and have never had any problems. I have sent gifts and important papers to her and always there in 2 weeks. I would never, however send a bank card with anyone other than Fed Ex.

Good luck with the whole Financial thing. Some are with it and some are not.

Robert

I just want to jump ahead 10 months..:)

I would let you borrow it, but my wife traded the Delorean in on a cash for clunkers deal.... :(

Anyways, when I sent things to my wife, it was usually via USPS, and it got to Wuhan within 7-10 days. Li Yin will occasionally send a package home, and they seem to get there within 2 weeks. Not too sure about other parts of China though.

As far as the bank card is concerned, my bank clearly let me know that an ATM card was non-transferrable, and that that my pin served as my signature. I just gave up fighting them about it, and did a domestic bank of China transfer (you can transfer domestically to Bank of China in New York and they will route it through China). Not the most elegant or cheapest way, but it was efficient.