Reason for divorce

My SO is worried that since I have been divorced twice (american women) and thinks the VO will ask her why the divorced happened.

She wants me to write a letter to explain in my words (and better english then her trying to explain) why the divorce happened on both accounts.

Out of all the other postings I have read since I started reading this forum I have never came across this question being asked from the VO.

My SO is worried that since I have been divorced twice (american women) and thinks the VO will ask her why the divorced happened.

She wants me to write a letter to explain in my words (and better english then her trying to explain) why the divorce happened on both accounts.

Out of all the other postings I have read since I started reading this forum I have never came across this question being asked from the VO.

My wife, then a fiance, was asked these details at GUZ during the visa interview. I had completely briefed her on my 400 divorces, and based on my understanding of information that is sometimes asked for and requested - I made a spreadsheet for her with ALL information about my previous spouses, to include; SSN, phone numbers, emails, children/no children, present address etc...there was a list on VJ (somewhere) ---- I took no chances - and the Spreadsheet was in a folder that my Finance had written the label in Chinese in the event the questions got deeper than why the divorces..and what she knew off the top of her head. I had schooled her ... that if they asked any "detailed information" to whip the sheet out and say that it contained everything I and She knew about the ex's.

She was asked in detail about our Age difference (25 years) and about my previous divorces....why for each one, how long the marriage was,....and she was prepared - she offered the sheet they said what she knew was enough - and asked the last question about LOVE....a much harder question.

My suggestion is to do what your SO asks - prepare all the information - it costs you nothing - and if she needs it...she will really need it. Our documentation was contained in a "flight officer-roller bag" and I still take it to each and every encounter with any Government Agency when any aspect of "immigration" is concerned. Anal - of course -- over prepared - yes,....... sorry NO.

Best of luck she will do fine.....

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)
Guest Wuhan4me

I've not seen interview results asking WHY the petitioner was divorced, but specifically stuff along these lines:

1. you know your man is divorced, yes?

2. WHEN did he divorce ?

3. wow - he's had 3 divorces before - do you know the dates?

I see no reason to NOT mention WHY you got divorced, so that part should be easy, just give her the info.

So, iirc, you're gonna have to provide her the divorce decrees (certified copies, certified from the county courthouse that granted the divorces ) to her prior to interview day - GUZ wants to see them.

Since you've had 2 divorces, you might want to cover this either in the EOR letter, or in a seperate letter (I've read about other CFL members mention of both here at CFL ) .

You should prep her, as well, to be able to answer questions about your prior divorces - simple stuff like:

1. name of the woman

2. duration of the marriage

3. divorce decree date (which is differen than the divorce filing date )

Good Luck !

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

don't argue with her (get used to it)

Write it up. When you read your words it helps you ensure she has all the details.

If history is a sign, they will ask something, god knows what...

VO to Yan: "Were they all USC?"

Yan knew the answer only because I told her why she is such a high quality woman (not to bash American woman)

Bottom line is you never know what will help, but preparation favors the prepared.

Yan: Honey, I read something from 001.

Me: yes dear what is it.

Yan: it said . . . yadda yadda yadda . . .

Me: yes dear (thinking to myself, if it's from 001, it must be true, ha ha ha)

Yeah, I have been married 2 times and I am very good at saying "yes dear", but I don't think I will ever get over the fact that just 'cuz it's from 001 it is the final word.

Anything to make my little woman happy though :-)

don't argue with her (get used to it)

Write it up. When you read your words it helps you ensure she has all the details.

If history is a sign, they will ask something, god knows what...

VO to Yan: "Were they all USC?"

Yan knew the answer only because I told her why she is such a high quality woman (not to bash American woman)

Bottom line is you never know what will help, but preparation favors the prepared.

WELL YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ON STRAIGHT.....just change the old idiom --- From..."believing what the last person said"....to believing what the last "Chinese Person" said. You will be just fine!

(If you need instruction in this vital area....you can read the very long thread from Chengdu4me on CFV...it's a hoot in this regard)

Best of luck on the interview.....she'll do great!

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

Yes... past divorce questions have been asked; Who, when, where, and why. It has all been asked in the past. As well ask: Why do you love him? How do you know he loves you?

She can get a range of both rational (knowledge) and emotional (feeling) questions to see her response. It's her response, demeanor and ability to communicate to the VO which at times has created a problem for some. She should be knowledgeable about your past and comfortable to answer questions. For that reason, in the past some of us recommend not to push your SO too hard to do the interview in english if it means she will stumble through expression and articulating rational or emotional answers. Keep her comfortable and informed... and so that means, ask her what works for her too.

Yes... past divorce questions have been asked; Who, when, where, and why. It has all been asked in the past. As well ask: Why do you love him? How do you know he loves you?

She can get a range of both rational (knowledge) and emotional (feeling) questions to see her response. It's her response, demeanor and ability to communicate to the VO which at times has created a problem for some. She should be knowledgeable about your past and comfortable to answer questions. For that reason, in the past some of us recommend not to push your SO too hard to do the interview in english if it means she will stumble through expression and articulating rational or emotional answers. Keep her comfortable and informed... and so that means, ask her what works for her too.

Excellent advice here. Don't give her more than she can handle.