P3 required documents, How many copies do we really need?

It's getting close for my fiancee to get the documents such as birth certificate and so forth. I have heard some member said to get 4 copies. Just want to make sure, the extra copies are just for in case the first one is lost, right? How many do we realistically need?

Do most people, say, get two original copies in Chinese and two original translations in English?

Thanks.

Get extras of things that you will later need in the USA like Birth Cert + English translation.

Police report, and unmarried cert + English translation, you only need one of.

So for the minimum:

for BIRTH CERTIFICATE, she should get 1 original in Chinese, and 2 originals in English translation

for POLICE CERTIFICATE and MARITAL STATUS CERTIFICATE, she needs to get just 1 original in Chinese, and 1 original in English translation

Right?

Do people get extra originals in translations or Chinese version just in case they lose the document -- I have a hard time imagining why would they be lost since they won't be mailed out.

Thanks.

So for the minimum:

for BIRTH CERTIFICATE, she should get 1 original in Chinese, and 2 originals in English translation

for POLICE CERTIFICATE and MARITAL STATUS CERTIFICATE, she needs to get just 1 original in Chinese, and 1 original in English translation

Right?

Do people get extra originals in translations or Chinese version just in case they lose the document -- I have a hard time imagining why would they be lost since they won't be mailed out.

Thanks.

Birth cert you NEED two copies and two translations.

Birth cert may be needed in the USA when you apply for marriage license, SSN, DL, adjustment of status, bank account, etc...

VJ AOS Guide:

Assembling the I-485 Package: Checklist

7. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Birth cert may be needed in the USA when you apply for marriage license, SSN, DL, adjustment of status, bank account, etc...

How about the MARITAL STATUS CERTIFICATE? Will they ask for it when we get married in US?

No - passport, SS, green card, and state ID/DL pretty well cover everything you need. The extra certificates are desirable, but usually not necessary.

How about the MARITAL STATUS CERTIFICATE? Will they ask for it when we get married in US?

Marital Status Cert is only needed by Guangzhou Consulate, it is not needed in the USA.
Guest Wuhan4me

So for the minimum:

Right?

Thanks.

VJ AOS Guide:

7. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

Just a quickie. for the I-485 - submit a COPY (not the original white book) of the birth certificate. They can ask to see the original white book at the interview (so be prepared to bring it)

When you need to SHOW the birth certificate (for other stuff ) then you show the WHITE BOOK.

The White Book is the Notarial Translation 'thingie'. FWIW, she'll have 3 different ones made? Police Certificate, Birth Certificate, Affadavit of 'Single Status'. Some of us, myself included, have had had extra 'originals' made at the notarial office - 3 of each type (sure, some it was overkill )..

So for the minimum:

Right?

Thanks.

VJ AOS Guide:

Just a quickie. for the I-485 - submit a COPY (not the original white book) of the birth certificate. They can ask to see the original white book at the interview (so be prepared to bring it)

When you need to SHOW the birth certificate (for other stuff ) then you show the WHITE BOOK.

The White Book is the Notarial Translation 'thingie'. FWIW, she'll have 3 different ones made? Police Certificate, Birth Certificate, Affadavit of 'Single Status'. Some of us, myself included, have had had extra 'originals' made at the notarial office - 3 of each type (sure, some it was overkill )..

We are going to get 2 sets (chinese + english) of birth certs, 1 set of 'single status' cert, and 1 set of police cert.

After that, can we make copies and submit one copy for the I-485? Not sure what that is yet.

Guest Wuhan4me

So for the minimum:

Right?

Thanks.

VJ AOS Guide:

We are going to get 2 sets (chinese + english) of birth certs, 1 set of 'single status' cert, and 1 set of police cert.

After that, can we make copies and submit one copy for the I-485? Not sure what that is yet.

That sounds right on the counts. The I-485 is filed for AOS after the two of you are married. Submt a copy of the white book birth cert THEN.

We got three copies of Lisa's documents. We have zero left of her birth certificate and one divorce decree after her visa, her I-485, her citizenship and filing for her parents. I would get at least three cause you may need them later for other things. We will need another one of her birth certificates in about ten years for her sisters visa. I am planning ahead and going to ask her parents to bring several copies with them.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

We got three copies of Lisa's documents. We have zero left of her birth certificate and one divorce decree after her visa, her citizenship and filing for her parents. I would get at least three cause you may need them later for other things. We will need another one of her birth certificates in about ten years for her sisters visa. I am planning ahead and going to ask her parents to bring several copies with them.

Keep in mind USCIS only needs photo copies of these documents, you should simply photocopy your original document, and send the photo copy in with applications and petitions.

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

We got three copies of Lisa's documents. We have zero left of her birth certificate and one divorce decree after her visa, her citizenship and filing for her parents. I would get at least three cause you may need them later for other things. We will need another one of her birth certificates in about ten years for her sisters visa. I am planning ahead and going to ask her parents to bring several copies with them.

Keep in mind USCIS only needs photo copies of these documents, you should simply photocopy your original document, and send the photo copy in with applications and petitions.

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

This is true, but originals were needed at GUZ for her parents visas. That was two copies. Also, even though they have copies and don't require them the USCIS IO can ask for originals any time they choose. I would have a few on hand just in case to save time. So think ahead to what you might need. If you are filing for any family members to come here, you will need originals for their interview in China.