Medical Examination

My wife went to the Clinic today and the place that gives the shots refused to accept her vaccination records because tthey were not Chinese vaccination records even though they were issued by a US approved hospital in Moscow. :Dah:

So she has two options; retake all of the shots or go to Guangzhou early and hope that they are more reasonable.

The only reason she is/was hesitant about retaking shots she already had is because she isn't sure if there are side-effects for having those shots given twice.

Does anyone know of possible side effects?

Guest shutterbug

My wife went to the Clinic today and the place that gives the shots refused to accept her vaccination records because tthey were not Chinese vaccination records even though they were issued by a US approved hospital in Moscow. :blink:

So she has two options; retake all of the shots or go to Guangzhou early and hope that they are more reasonable.

The only reason she is/was hesitant about retaking shots she already had is because she isn't sure if there are side-effects for having those shots given twice.

Does anyone know of possible side effects?

What a bummer! Sorry to hear that. Td is a no-brainer, health care workers are required to re-take it regularly. As for the other two, MMR and Varicella, it's probably OK but I'm not a physician...MMR and Varicella each requires two shots, with the second shot of MMR given 4-8 weeks after the first one, and the second shot of Varicella given six months after the first one. The second MMR shot is not really a "booster", it is given to cover the 5% of individuals whose bodies do not respond to the first shot and generate antibodies for measles. After the second shot coverage is increased to 99%. Did she complete both series in Moscow? If not, I certainly don't see any issue in getting the second shot now...when I filed for AOS a few years back I was pretty sure that I had received at least most of the shots in China, but the easiest thing to do was to get the three shots again. Asked the civil surgeon at the time and he said it would be OK. It's a miracle I'm still alive :lol:

Anyways, CDC says healthcare workers should receive MMR if they cannot porduce documentation for previous shots, and varicella vaccine is recommended for anyone without evidence of immunity such as documentation, which suggests it is safe to re-take them.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-...aqs-mmr-hcp.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varice...t-adult.htm#who

Unfortunately I don't know if Titer tests are offered in China, the tests prove immunity.

But anyway retaking the shots is OK, she is immune, and there should be no side-effects.