here is a tricky one

If my wife is successful, she wants to come home with me after we finish traversing the country, of course I have not purchased a ticket, but I hope I can. Here is the tricky part, my family and I return through Canada, and one of the criteria for avoiding a Canadian transit visa is the following:

" persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;"

Will we have enough to meet the criteria?

Any Canada experts eh?

thanks

J

Edited by hopelives (see edit history)

A visa to the USA is NOT a Green-Card, she needs Green-card to enter Canada.

A person holding only a CR-1/IR-1 or K-3 visa will need a transit visa for Canada.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
Guest shutterbug

If my wife is successful, she wants to come home with me after we finish traversing the country, of course I have not purchased a ticket, but I hope I can. Here is the tricky part, my family and I return through Canada, and one of the criteria for avoiding a Canadian transit visa is the following:

" persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;"

Any Canada experts eh?

thanks

J

Had you asked the question a week ago, the answer would have been a clear "No". The transit visa is free of charge but one does have to turn in an application. Here is the turn-around time in Beijing:

http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/china/...g-times-en.aspx

On July 30, new rules were put in place. If your group will be transiting through Vancouver, she can pass through without a transit visa, assuming she is arriving on Cathay Pacific Airways from Hong Kong or Phillipine Airlines from Manila.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/man.../2009/ob142.asp

The rules referenced above aso list Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Taipei as possible embarkation point. In reality however, Taipei where China Airlines is based, is out for obvious reasons, and neither Air China nor Air Canada (the only airlines authorized to fly non-stop between the two countries) is a participant at this time.

All things considered, she may be better off getting a transit visa...

Edited by shutterbug (see edit history)

Any Canada experts eh?

thanks

J

Had you asked the question a week ago, the answer would have been a clear "No". The transit visa is free of charge but one does have to turn in an application. Here is the turn-around time in Beijing:

http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/china/...g-times-en.aspx

On July 30, new rules were put in place. If your group will be transiting through Vancouver, she can pass through without a transit visa, assuming she is arriving on Cathay Pacific Airways from Hong Kong or Phillipine Airlines from Manila.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/man.../2009/ob142.asp

The rules referenced above aso list Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Taipei as possible embarkation point. In reality however, Taipei where China Airlines is based, is out for obvious reasons, and neither Air China nor Air Canada (the only airlines authorized to fly non-stop between the two countries) is a participant at this time.

All things considered, she may be better off getting a transit visa...

I just read about the new policy on their website, unfortunately our original plan was to fly through Vancouver but now we are going straight through to Toronto, might need to reconsider and change my flight, if we get approved

Thank so much for the processing times, I was under the impresion it took longer.