Chinese Visa Duration of Stay

Last year, when I received my visa, it listed the duration length of stay for each trip at 90 days........and I stayed once last year for 66 days.

Looking at my new visa, it shows a duration of stay for each trip to be 60 days....

Did I do something wrong this time or did they simply look at the length of my trip and shorten the length of stay to 60 days?

Thanks......

Moving this one to "Communications, Planes & Shipping" That forum tends to be the place for questions about Visas to China.

" General Visa Discussion & First Steps " tends to be about filing I-129F or I-130 for visas to the USA.

Thanks, Dan.......

I knew that you would know where you wanted this moved to although this does not involve first steps for me, it may for some.

Guest shutterbug

Last year, when I received my visa, it listed the duration length of stay for each trip at 90 days........and I stayed once last year for 66 days.

Looking at my new visa, it shows a duration of stay for each trip to be 60 days....

Did I do something wrong this time or did they simply look at the length of my trip and shorten the length of stay to 60 days?

Thanks......

If it makes you feel any better, mine (received last winter) says 60 days as well.

Thanks......

If it makes you feel any better, mine (received last winter) says 60 days as well.

eh........ i win

mines was for 30 days...

I remember someone mentioning about getting an extension, but then again in China, I do not know if I would want to venture....since getting my exit visa for my stolen passport was not a fun process especially with a short window....but 30 days.........ugh

May not need to stay more than 60 days for this year, but.......you never know....

And with having my last passport stolen, fortunate to have a scanned copy due to the I-129F petition, I can clearly see and remember the 90 days.......

If my passport wasn't stolen, would they have looked at my previous visa? Don't they have a record of it in their system?

From what I have read, next time since I am planning/hoping on marrying a Chinese national soon :D , I can get the 2 year visa next time for the same amount.......

I did the paperwork for my parents and myself, we all received 60 days...

And Bill, my parents were already planning on a trip to Houston, so they picked up yesterday....

Guest Wuhan4me

Henry - I then gotta guess that it's the 'new passport' thingie - you've no 'visual record' of trips to china. (no stamps in the passport already).

Safe to assume you've a new passport number as well? Then it's all probably down to 'passport number' - but that's just a SWAG. (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)

Guest shutterbug

I remember someone mentioning about getting an extension, but then again in China, I do not know if I would want to venture....since getting my exit visa for my stolen passport was not a fun process especially with a short window....but 30 days.........ugh

May not need to stay more than 60 days for this year, but.......you never know....

And with having my last passport stolen, fortunate to have a scanned copy due to the I-129F petition, I can clearly see and remember the 90 days.......

If my passport wasn't stolen, would they have looked at my previous visa? Don't they have a record of it in their system?

From what I have read, next time since I am planning/hoping on marrying a Chinese national soon :rolleyes: , I can get the 2 year visa next time for the same amount.......

I did the paperwork for my parents and myself, we all received 60 days...

And Bill, my parents were already planning on a trip to Houston, so they picked up yesterday....

The allowed length of stay may well have changed over the years - I didn't need a visa until recently so I have no historical data to compare to...

Regarding the 2-year thing: even though the rule has been in place for a little while, the application form has not been updated yet - to err on the safe side, I took the liberty to check the box next to "one-year" on the form, then crossed out "one" and wrote "two". A friend of mine applied a few months later, he didn't explicitly ask for two years and and was given only one year. No sure if it was because he didn't explicitly ask, or it was due to a clerical error.

For a person not born to a Chinese citizen or a former Chinese citizen, however, one needs to be currently married to one to get the two-year validity.

Thanks......

Now i may be wrong here?

I just looked at my visa and i still have 5 months left on it. with 90 days stay each trip. I requested 90 days

But i do remember when i filed out the visa application if you DO NOT! request 90 days you will only get 30-60 days stay.

You must request 90 days

Guest shutterbug

Thanks......

Now i may be wrong here?

I just looked at my visa and i still have 5 months left on it. with 90 days stay each trip. I requested 90 days

But i do remember when i filed out the visa application if you DO NOT! request 90 days you will only get 30-60 days stay.

You must request 90 days

That's true. 30-day has been the default. Also you can extend the stay, up to two(?) times, at the local PSB; if your time is really up, just go to Hong Kong - some years ago a friend took a day-trip to Hong Kong every few months, went to a movie or visited Ocean Park with her kid, returning in the evening. I am sure they were frowned upon when going through immigration/passport control and customs, but at least she was able to live with her family. What many foreign visitors do not realize is that because Hong Kong retained its own control over immigration after the handover in 1997, crossing into Hong Kong on land from Shenzhen, or flying there from anywhere on the mainland, is considered departing from China as far as passport control is concerned and thus the clock is reset.

Edited by shutterbug (see edit history)

You must request 90 days

Thats probably typically the case. But I got 90 days on my last 2 visas without request. My first 2 visas were for 30 days. To my surprise, when i got the 3rd visa it was 90 days. Same for the 4th. I dont have a need for that long of duration but I thought it was kinda cool.

Henry and Mei....once you are married, your wife can take you to the local PSB and register you as a visitor.....then...you take that visitor registration to the man PSB office in your city and they will give you a one year L visa with multiple entries. This means you can stay in China up to one year...If you need to stay longer than one year, you just go get it stamped again before it expires....you can to this for as long as your passport is valid.

Thanks......

Now i may be wrong here?

You must request 90 days

That's true. 30-day has been the default. Also you can extend the stay, up to two(?) times, at the local PSB; if your time is really up, just go to Hong Kong - some years ago a friend took a day-trip to Hong Kong every few months, went to a movie or visited Ocean Park with her kid, returning in the evening. I am sure they were frowned upon when going through immigration/passport control and customs, but at least she was able to live with her family. What many foreign visitors do not realize is that because Hong Kong retained its own control over immigration after the handover in 1997, crossing into Hong Kong on land from Shenzhen, or flying there from anywhere on the mainland, is considered departing from China as far as passport control is concerned and thus the clock is reset.

This is correct. You can go to HK or Macau. They do not frown on this and they know people do it. Several times, before getting my work visa, I did this very thing even crossing in HK/Macau and then turning right around and crossing back into China...within 30 minutes. It was never a problem.

As far as 30-60-90 day stay the reduction to 60 day might have to do with the upcoming 60th anniversary of PRC. Last year as the Olympics got closer they reduced the visa stay to 60 and then 30 days. After the Olympics was over they went back to giving out 90 days if requested. However you also have to request the 90 days as 60 days if the automatic default.

The 1-YR multpile entry visa was always allowed but now you can request the 2-YR multiple entry visa. Does not mean it will be approved. Call or check the website of mychinavisa.com. You do not have to use their service but I have always found them knowledgable of the lastest visa trends, etc. You can email them a question and they reply within 1-2 days.