When is I-134 for K-1 sent?

In my fiance's document packets, he didn't receive the I-134 Affidavit of Support form.  Was this supposed to be included with interview appointment packet (packet 4) or the previous packet (packet 3)?  

Thanks for the help.

I would send an original, completed I-134 to her and if you will be there, bring along a duplicate original just in case. Include supporting documentation (three years of tax returns, etc.). Incidentally, I am also sending/taking the I-864 just as a precautionary measure.

For some reason, I didn't think it was included in the P4 since it has to come from you, as the petitioner.

The I-134 for is for you to fill out. It is not included in any packet she or he will get. You can download it off the internet and send or bring it to her or he. You need two copies and have them notorized. You also need the last year of your income tax also, 2 copies, and have this notorized also. This is for K-1, for K-3 you need last 3 years of your tax returns. You need a lot more to send, so look on Q & A for more info.

the instructions say NOTHING about having the letter from employer notarized.

Can't say you're wrong there in fact you are right. The instructions doesn't say the proof of employment letter has to be notarized but I had mine notarized anyways. Nothing to it but take it to your local bank, a co-worker, or even a friend who is a notary public and they don't charge anything to do it or at least I have never been charged. Might as well take that extra step because if there's one thing I learned is that government officials love to see that witnessed signature and especially that embossed seal! So, I myself, get everything notarized. Hell, you should've seen my documents to take to China for marriage. By the time those documents hit every level of government including the Chinese Embassy in DC, there were more embossed seals, signatures, ribbons and medallions on them than the Magna Carta! There is where I learned that governments, both U.S. and China rely heavily on seals and that is where I learned to notarize everything with emphasis on the seal! Notary Publics in the Commonwealth of Virginia do not have to emboss a document with the seal but I always insisted on having that seal too!...like paying in US Postal money orders,,,NO QUESTIONS ASKED.....but that's just me, Joe.

Can't say you're wrong there in fact you are right. The instructions doesn't say the proof of employment letter has to be notarized but I had mine notarized anyways. Nothing to it but take it to your local bank, a co-worker, or even a friend who is a notary public and they don't charge anything to do it or at least I have never been charged. Might as well take that extra step because if there's one thing I learned is that government officials love to see that witnessed signature and especially that embossed seal! So, I myself, get everything notarized. Hell, you should've seen my documents to take to China for marriage. By the time those documents hit every level of government including the Chinese Embassy in DC, there were more embossed seals, signatures, ribbons and medallions on them than the Magna Carta! There is where I learned that governments, both U.S. and China rely heavily on seals and that is where I learned to notarize everything with emphasis on the seal! Notary Publics in the Commonwealth of Virginia do not have to emboss a document with the seal but I always insisted on having that seal too!...like paying in US Postal money orders,,,NO QUESTIONS ASKED.....but that's just me, Joe.

I agree wholeheartedly tywy_99. I went extra lengths to make everything official. Last thing i wanted was for the Chinese Gov't to tell me this paper needed to be certified and i am 7000 miles away from a Notary.

Patrick :)

Actually, I think you are REQUIRED to have form I-134 notarized (at least). Read the bottom of the form. It needs to be signed by someone else........ It doesn't seem to say anything about it in the instructions, but I woudn't reccomend leaving that section blank (nor would I ask your cousin to sign it).

------ Clifford -------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oath or Affirmation of Sponsor

I seear (affirm) that I know the dontents of this affidavit signed by me and the statements are true and correct.

Signature of Sponsor ___________

Subscribed and sworn to (affirmed) before me this _____ day of ____ , ____

at __________ . My commission expires on _______

Signature of Officer Administering Oath _______________ Title ______

Quite right, Clifford. The I-134 needs to be notarized or signed before a consular officer. It is the ONLY document of the submission that NEEDS to be notarized, but everyone has their own comfort level.

Actually,

Perhaps it is worth it to re-read the form OF-167.

WHAT A CONFUSING MESS OF PAPERWORK, EACH FORM POINTS TO A HALF A DOZEN OTHER FORMS, EACH WITH CONFLICTING INSTRUCTIONS.

Of course, I am not convinced that a Notary can tell anything about the authenticity of a copy of a copy of the income tax form....???? The US Government already has the original (which I didn't get notarized).

------------------------

To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attach two or more of the following forms to the affidavit.

1. Notarized copies of his or her latest federal income tax return.

2. A statement from his or her employer showing salary and length and peranency of employement.

3. A statement from an officer of a baink regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance.

4. Any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his or her undertaking towards the applicant for what might be an indefinate period of time.

====================================================

Hmmm, I wonder why they don't require American teenagers to go through so many hurdles before going for a roll in the hay????

------ Clifford ------

Just out of curiousity, how in the world can a "bank or friend" notarize an employment letter. How would they know the information is true and accurate?

I just can't understand the reasoning.

Technically, it is the signature that is vouched or notarized, not the document itself. All the notary is attesting to is that the person who signs the document is the person signing the document.

Certified copies are another matter. Here, the certifier is vouching that the document is a true and correct copy of the original.