I-134 Question

Hey everyone, I've got a quick question about the I-134 form. Question 11 ("do you intend to make specific contributions to the support of beneficiary") seems quite tricky for me. Both my co-sponsors checked "no" in this box. I would also like to check "no" because, although my fiancee will be living with me in my apartment, she has enough of her own money to pay for her portion of the rent and for other living expenses.

Will this look fishy to the VO? I find the affidavits of support extremely frustrating for this reason--she could easily prove that she can provide for herself for at least a year after moving to the US, but they are only interested my and my co-sponsor's financial situations.

One other question, would it help to provide a copy of my lease for my fiancee at the interview?

Thanks in advance!

I-134 is used wit many different types of NON-immigrant visas, such as visitors, student etc... in those cases the sponsor can specify this, but in the case of K-Visas this does not apply.

I put "N/A ( K1 visa process for permanent residence )" and did not check either box.

Good example: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I am sure he intends to support his wife when she arrives, but the question refers to "specific contributions" which means are you going to give your wife a set amount of money at periodic times?

Should just be N/A I would say

That is what I wrote.

Question 11 applies to non-immigrant visas that have set time limits, and sponsor can specify what they are willing to contribute. This is NOT the case with K-Visas, in this case #11 does NOT apply.

i checked no and wrote " I Will Support (fiancee's name) as my spouse.

Since 11 does not apply, you can answer it any way you want.

i checked no and wrote " I Will Support (fiancee's name) as my spouse.

Since 11 does not apply, you can answer it any way you want.

cool

I was looking over the form my lawyer filled out for us and they didnt check a box and stated

N/A (K1 Filing with Intended Permanent Residency)

I guess this part doesn't apply to us who intend our wives /fiancees to live permanently here

Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses guys. That question was worrying me quite a bit.

One other thing--when my mother filled out her I-134 she provided her 2007 tax returns (it wasn't yet April 15th at the time, so she hadn't filed for 2008). With my fiancee's interview next month on the 20th, I assume that the 2007 tax returns are not recent enough, and she'll need to send us the ones for 2008. Is that right?

Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses guys. That question was worrying me quite a bit.

One other thing--when my mother filled out her I-134 she provided her 2007 tax returns (it wasn't yet April 15th at the time, so she hadn't filed for 2008). With my fiancee's interview next month on the 20th, I assume that the 2007 tax returns are not recent enough, and she'll need to send us the ones for 2008. Is that right?

Mother can order IRS transcripts for 2008. I ordered some yesterday and they faxed them to me within an hour.

800¨C829¨C1040 Simply call and ask.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1

Mother can order IRS transcripts for 2008. I ordered some yesterday and they faxed them to me within an hour.

So does that mean my mom can just email us a scanned copy of my her taxes, and we can print them out in China?

So does that mean my mom can just email us a scanned copy of my her taxes, and we can print them out in China?

Yes, that is fine. I woul have her do a new I-134 with the newer numbers on it, scan it and send it tou you along with the newer IRS returns or transcripts.

Bring both the older I-134 with original signature, and the newer copy with newer IRS returns.

Yes, that is fine. I woul have her do a new I-134 with the newer numbers on it, scan it and send it tou you along with the newer IRS returns or transcripts.

Bring both the older I-134 with original signature, and the newer copy with newer IRS returns.

Hi dnoblett, sorry for the late reply, I actually just finished my move back to the states (had to leave before my fiancee's interview because my graduate school starts in the summer). I just talked to my mother about her taxes and she says that she filed an extension and so hasn't actually filed her tax returns for 2008. In this case do you think the 2007 forms are okay?

Hi dnoblett, sorry for the late reply, I actually just finished my move back to the states (had to leave before my fiancee's interview because my graduate school starts in the summer). I just talked to my mother about her taxes and she says that she filed an extension and so hasn't actually filed her tax returns for 2008. In this case do you think the 2007 forms are okay?

Should be OK if copy of extension, along with good evidence of current income is attached.