Lao Po?

Guest Pommey

Guest Tony n Terrific

The first part of the word Lao in ancient Chinese means Old Child. Most likely the real meaning of Lao Po is old wife. Lao-Tzu= Old master; old child; Chinese philosopher who is traditionally regarded as the founder of Taoism.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first part of the word Lao in ancient Chinese means Old Child. Most likely the real meaning of Lao Po is old wife. Lao-Tzu= Old master; old child; Chinese philosopher who is traditionally regarded as the founder of Taoism.

Lao means "old" and Po means "elder lady". If you put them together, it just means "wife". Lao Dao doesn't means "old bean" but it really means "dad". Lao Tzu is the founder of Taoism. Lao Tzu is his name which means "old son".

ÀÏÆÅ literally means old woman and ÀϹ« means old man, and its a word used to show your affections to your spouse, has no derogatory meaning at all. old woman and old man, I think, implies the life long love between couples. you can think something like the blissful life of being hand in hand with each other when getting old, from young to old.

edit (add more):

my wife smacks my head when i introduce her as tai tai or qizi, she says i am not an old woman and i am still in my twenties, go figure :lol:. old woman/man word is used very common among the younger generations, tv soaps, movies, and social gathering.

you can call you wife as ÀÏÆÅïž, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetheart_cake

i like the legend story, very cute.

Edited by george lee (see edit history)