Doctor's in China...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

A short time before I left for China, I began to develop a strange problem in my hands. I did some searching on the internet, and also visited a US doc, who confirmed what I thought it might be: Dupretren's Contracture. I just saw a short video in the news this morning, about a new treatment:

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html...ww.foxnews.com/

Last Thursday, my wife and I traveled to Shanghai to visit with a Chinese doctor, in a Western clinic. My wife made sure I understood that Chinese people don't go there, because it's too expensive. Sure enough, there was not a single Chinese patient in the place, all were expats from various places around the world: Italy, Australia, GB, Middle East, Africa, US, and so on. It was very clean and professional. I was impressed with the level of care and concern, both from the office staff, and the docs.

My appointment was at 11:00AM, for which we arrived at 10:55. I completed the paperwork they gave me, and was immediately taken to a room to meet with the doctor. He examined my left hand, the worse of the two, and then called in an Australian doc, to confer with. They suggested that we have lunch and come back at 1:00PM, to meet with a doctor from another hospital. We did, and met with her. She discussed with us, and with the first doctor, Doctor Cheng. Doc Cheng, was educated in the US, where he received his degree, and is a noted expert here.

They suggested taking a small biopsy from my left hand, and also some blood tests to rule out other factors. I agreed, and then, Dr. Cheng numbed my hand, at cut a small one-stitch piece from it. Another lady took some blood. Dr. Cheng, and the visiting physician said there were new methods available, but wanted to wait to provide a detailed treatment later this week.

I am fortunate that my insurance covers this 100%, but I must pay first in cash, and then get reimbursed later after submitting a claim form. All I can say is, so far, so good, and have hope that I will be able to continue using my hands to type, and write, and that's my life and work.

--edit--

I wanted to also add, that even though most Chinese people don't go to Western doctors, that for many, it's by choice rather than price. My co-workers for example can also go to any hospital they choose, but prefer Chinese doctors over Western doctors. A matter of personal choice and preference, that's much the same as what we Americans have.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

A short time before I left for China, I began to develop a strange problem in my hands. I did some searching on the internet, and also visited a US doc, who confirmed what I thought it might be: Dupretren's Contracture. I just saw a short video in the news this morning, about a new treatment:

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html...ww.foxnews.com/

Last Thursday, my wife and I traveled to Shanghai to visit with a Chinese doctor, in a Western clinic. My wife made sure I understood that Chinese people don't go there, because it's too expensive. Sure enough, there was not a single Chinese patient in the place, all were expats from various places around the world: Italy, Australia, GB, Middle East, Africa, US, and so on. It was very clean and professional. I was impressed with the level of care and concern, both from the office staff, and the docs.

My appointment was at 11:00AM, for which we arrived at 10:55. I completed the paperwork they gave me, and was immediately taken to a room to meet with the doctor. He examined my left hand, the worse of the two, and then called in an Australian doc, to confer with. They suggested that we have lunch and come back at 1:00PM, to meet with a doctor from another hospital. We did, and met with her. She discussed with us, and with the first doctor, Doctor Cheng. Doc Cheng, was educated in the US, where he received his degree, and is a noted expert here.

They suggested taking a small biopsy from my left hand, and also some blood tests to rule out other factors. I agreed, and then, Dr. Cheng numbed my hand, at cut a small one-stitch piece from it. Another lady took some blood. Dr. Cheng, and the visiting physician said there were new methods available, but wanted to wait to provide a detailed treatment later this week.

I am fortunate that my insurance covers this 100%, but I must pay first in cash, and then get reimbursed later after submitting a claim form. All I can say is, so far, so good, and have hope that I will be able to continue using my hands to type, and write, and that's my life and work.

--edit--

I wanted to also add, that even though most Chinese people don't go to Western doctors, that for many, it's by choice rather than price. My co-workers for example can also go to any hospital they choose, but prefer Chinese doctors over Western doctors. A matter of personal choice and preference, that's much the same as what we Americans have.

Shaq, I with you the best in your treatment. Will they give you the shots or will there be surgery?

I agree when you say Chinese prefer Chinese Doctors to others, as I know my wife is that way also.

I wish you the best in your treatment of your malady.

"My" experience with the Chinese medical system was, hmmm... "different". Though I agree with what you said that most Chinese prefer Chinese doctors to western. Although I would attribute the widespread Hepatitis B and liver cancer in China pretty much directly to this.

I remember having to get a physical in China for marriage. The No. 3 People's Hospital in my wife's city. Quite an experience! The hospital was crowded with people smoking their cigarettes. Inside was two nurses sitting at a desk. It all looked like something out of the '40's. But the nurses and doctors were very nice and friendly. They were very curious in me.

I went from one room to another for different simple tests, temp., BP, etc.. None of them could speak english. The drawing of blood was different than the way it is done here, I remember. The doctor was a young man, very polite and professional. I remember him pulling out this large manual where they put a sheet of your info in along with your passport style photo. To this day, somewhere in the No. 3 People's hospital is my mug shot and rap sheet! :angry:

Yes, something I'll always remember. It was also the first time I've ever seen a Chinese style bathroom. The nurse handed me a bottle to pee in and pointed to the bathroom outside. I thought, "okay" but when I walked in, I saw no urinals!..only a trough on the floor! I didn't know what to do!...

It was an experience!............ :D

Edited by samsong (see edit history)

I can remember being in Guilin in 2007 and I must have rubbed something in to my eye because it became very irritated. I went to the hospital with Lao Po, we went in and it was kind of like the 40's as a prior poster said. I told my wife no matter what she was not to leave my side since I needed her to translate for me. A nurse tried to roll my eyelids back with a pencil, I wouldn't let her touch me. after that they washed my eyes with water or a solution. then they gave me 2 packages of eye drops and all of this cost me about $8. I was feeling fine later in the day.

I have a problem with my heels with heel spurs and my wife later in this trip took me to a hospital in her city Beihai. They took me to xray my foot. Then when they got my xray back everyone in the waiting room crowded around the xray and looked at my size 14 foot. There was about 5-8 people along with the doctor looking at my xray. I thought that was very funny at the time. They gave me some dark vinegar and something else for me to soak my feet in.. it didn't help, but I appeased my wife that she wanted me to try the Chinese medicine. I still have the probelm, but I don't want to get an operation to have it fixed, so I bear with the pain. :D

Guest ShaQuaNew

Shaq, I with you the best in your treatment. Will they give you the shots or will there be surgery?

I agree when you say Chinese prefer Chinese Doctors to others, as I know my wife is that way also.

I wish you the best in your treatment of your malady.

Thank you. I'm not yet sure what they will suggest for treatment, but will be contacting me this week to let me know.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I remember having to get a physical in China for marriage. The No. 3 People's Hospital in my wife's city. Quite an experience! The hospital was crowded with people smoking their cigarettes. Inside was two nurses sitting at a desk. It all looked like something out of the '40's. But the nurses and doctors were very nice and friendly. They were very curious in me.

I went from one room to another for different simple tests, temp., BP, etc.. None of them could speak english. The drawing of blood was different than the way it is done here, I remember. The doctor was a young man, very polite and professional. I remember him pulling out this large manual where they put a sheet of your info in along with your passport style photo. To this day, somewhere in the No. 3 People's hospital is my mug shot and rap sheet! ;)

Yes, something I'll always remember. It was also the first time I've ever seen a Chinese style bathroom. The nurse handed me a bottle to pee in and pointed to the bathroom outside. I thought, "okay" but when I walked in, I saw no urinals!..only a trough on the floor! I didn't know what to do!...

It was an experience!............ :lol:

Were people smoking cigarettes inside the building? Perhaps in a special room though? You do see a lot of smoking in China, but they are usually quite particular about not smoking inside most businesses, and certainly hospitals.

I can identify with what you say about being a curiosity. I think they view treating a Westerner as a challenge and want to make a good impression.

I had a lingering cold one winter in Fushun. A girl took me to a hospital and the Doctor examined me, they took an x-ray of my lungs, two different meds....total was $20. They wanted to give me an anti-biotic IV each day for a week, but I told them no. I survived w/o it. ZZ