My wife's unedited comment is: "savamoney, I do not want to read lies."

This, of course, corresponds to the widespread belief (in the places in China I asked the question from Shengyang-Beijing to Guangzhou-Nanning to Chengdu area over a number of years) that the protests were instigated by the USA.

Likely some truth in that; whether it was directly or indirectly. I place a lot more value in the words directly from the people of China, and certainly in Joanne, who actually lived here and experienced that time.

It's pretty freaky when you've got a group of Americans that seem to know more about the events of China than the Chinese people themselves.

It wouldn't be hard for the CCP to edit the national memory of the Tianamen Square. They control the the mass media pretty effectively. As a matter of fact, as part of their current crackdown on dissent, they are commemorating this anniversary of Tianamen Square by closing thousands of student web forums and blogs, arresting dissidents and transporting them 1000's of miles from where they live and so on. None of which is being reported in Chinese media, AFAIK, but all of which is being reported all over the Western media.

In other words, the normal state of affairs is that everyone in the West knows more about the recent history Chinese internal affairs than the Chinese people themselves, excepting the persons actually involved in and witnessing that history.

They would have to turn the the PRC into the giant economy size version of North Korea for the situation to be otherwise.

PS. This is not unusual. I find that European coverage of the US is more insightful than American mass media.

Edited by Christopher (see edit history)
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jin979

Mao zedong never liked Deng Xiao Ping , Zhao Ziyang was had the same thing as Mao for people, Deng Xiao Ping wanted to open china for business especially for his son. Deng kill the protesters simply to show that you cannont argue with Govt.

Zhao ZiYang was last true communist boss in party, he lost to Deng Xiao Ping who has on one side made china richer. get Hong Kong back but he doesnt care for people.

I got my copy of the book today. On the back is a picture showing Zhao Ziyang walking with Pres. Ronald Reagan, my favorite president. How cool is that!?

I'm sure that Reagan didn't even flinch when he was briefed about Tienanmen and not because he was senile at the time. It's because Reagan loved "Death Squads" and the massacres in Nicaragua and El Salvador, so why not China.

Guest jin979

I got my copy of the book today. On the back is a picture showing Zhao Ziyang walking with Pres. Ronald Reagan, my favorite president. How cool is that!?

I'm sure that Reagan didn't even flinch when he was briefed about Tienanmen and not because he was senile at the time. It's because Reagan loved "Death Squads" and the massacres in Nicaragua and El Salvador, so why not China.

this is not going to get political (usa) right ?

stay on topic please

This is getting political!

What is with this thread? Does it need to be closed?

It is easy to talk trash about ANY president going back to George Washington, lets keep politics out of this.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

If we were in a bar and you said that to me, I'd punch ya out. If you want to earn any respect from members here, the place to start is by showing it to others. Like saying you'd punch them out for no reason.

Come back in 2 days and see if you can regain any respect back. Such confrontations and violent gestures will not be tolerated. You'll find plenty of other websites which might allow that or encourage that as a sign of 'respect', but not here.

Besides, he didn't identify the source of his quote:

I don't seek confrontation from anyone, just explanation. B) :huh:

"I would be interested in your knowledge that this book is funded by, like people in your family, who are in anti-Chinese organizations. [/b]Your post reads rather biased."

Seems rather confrontational to me. If we were in a bar and you said that to me, I'd punch ya out. Like I said before, Joanne was there and is more than entitled to her opinion. If you want to earn any respect from members here, the place to start is by showing it to others. You can start with an apology to Joanne.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

If we were in a bar and you said that to me, I'd punch ya out. If you want to earn any respect from members here, the place to start is by showing it to others. Like saying you'd punch them out for no reason.

Come back in 2 days and see if you can regain any respect back. Such confrontations and violent gestures will not be tolerated. You'll find plenty of other websites which might allow that or encourage that as a sign of 'respect', but not here.

Are you suggesting we ban Donahso for 2 days David? It's HIS quote. I think you'll find your button doesn't work on the root admin though. Or maybe you should iron out such gaping policy differences before implementing them on the board.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)

I already posted that but I didn't make it so blatant. :huh:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=496865

Sorry, I overlooked it in my shocked state. B) Besides, if I started being less blatent now it would be hypocritical of me. :clapping:

I agree with you there, Jason. I agree on your previous post too, the one above mine, #86.

usagroom is okay. He just caught alot of flak for his disaccord towards Joanne. I think he learned a most valuable lesson, never go where angels fear to tread!

Edited by samsong (see edit history)
Guest shutterbug

It is easy to talk trash about ANY president going back to George Washington, lets keep politics out of this.

Unfortunately it is just about impossible to talk about politics without bringing up politics...one's ideals aside, it is difficult not to be cynical about the geopolitical game countries play.

Unfortunately it is just about impossible to talk about politics without bringing up politics...one's ideals aside, it is difficult not to be cynical about the geopolitical game countries play.

Talking about Zhao Ziyang is talking about politics but derogatory remarks should not be made.

Let's keep it clean! :)

Guest jin979

Talking about Zhao Ziyang is talking about politics but derogatory remarks should not be made.

Let's keep it clean! :)

lets keep usa politics out of it.

its interesting you all read the book