DS 3032 & adjustmant of status

Got a letter and form ds 3032 from portsmouth NH today. States I must pay Affidavit of Support fee $70.00 before they can begin processing my petition. Then it says if applicant intends to adjust status with the USCIS please contact NVC before making payment or taking further action. So I guess I will have to contact NVC? I have to go out to Calif till end of July, and I thought everything was ok till today.

Has anyone been through this?? Thanks, Robert

Got a letter and form ds 3032 from portsmouth NH today. States I must pay Affidavit of Support fee $70.00 before they can begin processing my petition. Then it says if applicant intends to adjust status with the USCIS please contact NVC before making payment or taking further action. So I guess I will have to contact NVC? I have to go out to Calif till end of July, and I thought everything was ok till today.

Yes! This is just one of the forms you will need to fill out.

there are more to come and $$$$

Here is just a sample of what is to come next.

11/01/06 - DS-3032 received

11/02/06 - sent I-864 - DS-3032 USPS Express mail

11/03/06 - I-864 - DS -3032 received, Portsmouth.

11/20/06 - IV fee bill Generated

12/01/06 - IV fee bill and I-864 papers received

12/11/06 - IV fee bill and I-864 sent to NVC

12/18/06 - DS-230 sent out from NVC

01/09/07 - DS-230 received ( 22 Days )

01/16/07 - DS-230 retured to NVC USPS Express Mail

01/17/07 - NVC receives DS-230

Good luck!! your just getting started!

Yes! This is just one of the forms you will need to fill out.

there are more to come and $$$$

Here is just a sample of what is to come next.

11/01/06 - DS-3032 received

11/02/06 - sent I-864 - DS-3032 USPS Express mail

11/03/06 - I-864 - DS -3032 received, Portsmouth.

11/20/06 - IV fee bill Generated

12/01/06 - IV fee bill and I-864 papers received

12/11/06 - IV fee bill and I-864 sent to NVC

12/18/06 - DS-230 sent out from NVC

01/09/07 - DS-230 received ( 22 Days )

01/16/07 - DS-230 retured to NVC USPS Express Mail

01/17/07 - NVC receives DS-230

Good luck!! your just getting started!

Robert Fei, brings up a good point...I have just begun the visa process and also plan a trip to the PRC perhaps in August...When would be the best time to be away from home/P.O. Box in case I get mail from USCIS, etc?

You have 2 options, pay the $70 and send an I-864 along with financials, and keep the I-130 moving through NVC for a CR-1 immigrant visa, which I recomend.

OR If you filed an I-129F for a K-3 visa you can simply not pay the fees to NVC and follow the K-3 path, and pay the added $800 in fees to adjust status.

I recomend following the I-130 path, it has been taking the same lenth of time as the K-3, and saves you $$$.

K-3 is an optional visa process that was developed at a time when I-130 was taking a long time to process when compared with K-1 fiancee visa, the K-3 allowed the prospective immigrant to enter the USA and wait for I-130 to be approved. However since USCIS has been approving the I-130 and I0129F at the same time lately the reason for the K-3 no longer exists, the 2 visa processes tend to be about the same time to approve through to a visa.

Both visas start the same way, you file an I-130 for a CR-1 spousal visa, and then file an I-129F to the address indicated on the I-130 NOA1 letter to start the K-3 option.

Consider sticking to the I-130 visa process, for the most part USCIS has been approving I-129F AND I-130 on the same date which essentially eliminates the whole reason that the K-3 was developed in the first place (LONG I-130 Processing time ate USCIS).

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

But, but...I have just begun the visa process in April and would like to plan a trip to the PRC perhaps in August...When would be the best time to be away from home/P.O. Box in case I get mail from USCIS, etc?

If you just started, you may see NOA2 (Approval notice) by August, NVC tends to not do anything fro at least a month, if you are out of conntry when they send you notice for I-864, and DS-3032, they will wait for you to respond.

But, but...I have just begun the visa process in April and would like to plan a trip to the PRC perhaps in August...When would be the best time to be away from home/P.O. Box in case I get mail from USCIS, etc?

Another thing in your favor if you end up mis-timing it - GUZ will keep your case open for up to a year in the event they don't here back - I would imagine NVC has a similar policy.

If you just started, you may see NOA2 (Approval notice) by August, NVC tends to not do anything fro at least a month, if you are out of conntry when they send you notice for I-864, and DS-3032, they will wait for you to respond.

Thank you for your reply...I'm sure you know how anxious new petitioners can be... :ph34r: ZZ