Changing ATT service plan from China

I am here in GUZ, and I need to make 3 calls to the US while I am here in China for the next 5 weeks. How can I use my att phone, or activate international calling so I don't have to pay large fees. I have an unlocked phone with a Chinese sim card, and I have my att phone here also. Can I access Att from here to change my plan, add international calling? Please help. I thought I was prepared, but I forgot about the calls home to US. Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

I have an unlocked phone with a Chinese sim card

Go purchase an IDD card to use. Ask your wife, she can source it out for you. Usually, rates to USA are 0.39 rmb/minute or less.

So, with the cellphone, you call the china IDD access number, then call the USA number - it's connected, you talk.

I would seriously forget about using your ATT phone in China - you didn't call them whilst in USA and get 'the special deal'. There's now a myriad of 'systems' between you and any ATT-approved 3rd party international roaming company - even if you call ATT NOW, it might take 10 days to 'rehome' the proper service.

IMO - an IDD card is the best way to go. Think of it as a Calling Card (which, in fact, it is).

You might try China Call-back http://www.1stphonecard.com/phonecardInfo.cfm?ProductID=1 for 3.8 cents/minute from China (whatever's left you can user in the US to call China@1.6 cents) or any other calling plan.

This is our calling card, but we tried twice and couldn't get it to work to call back - You'll need someone who speaks Chinese and can understand the call-back stuff

Thanks Randy, but I want to change my att plan to international calling so I can make these 3 calls @ $0.15 per minute. My family is connected to my onesuite account, they can call me on my old phone that has a chinese sim card, and I can use this cell phone for calling in China. I don't know how to contact ATT in China, so I can change the calling plan.

Is there a customer service number for ATT in China? or do I have to have somebody change the plan in the USA? Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

Thanks Randy, but I want to change my att plan to international calling so I can make these 3 calls @ $0.15 per minute. My family is connected to my onesuite account, they can call me on my old phone that has a chinese sim card, and I can use this cell phone for calling in China. I don't know how to contact ATT in China, so I can change the calling plan.

Is there a customer service number for ATT in China? or do I have to have somebody change the plan in the USA? Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

Mike, I had the same problem. I have always had AT&T and could not get customer service in the US, from Guangzhou.

Maybe you can give all your info to a trusted family member in the US and they can make this change in your plan for you, from the US side.

I, too, had an unlocked AT&T phone and then I got the international plan for about less than five bucks a month. Not a lot of savings over some calling cards, but it helped.

What I would do with the unlocked phone, is switch out my US sim card, for a local GZ sim card, for regional calling in China. Then back to my US sim, for calling home and checking messages etc.

Best wishes on all your efforts there.

Rog