Hhhmmm ...

I sent some WU receipts to prove I have been supporting my wife. Hope this did not hurt us. :lol:

Appaullo

That's different, I was talking about a K1 application. Since you two are married, I think you'll have to show financial support for her.

Now that the sending money has been brought to life I have a question. I too have filed for a K1 Visa, I too have sent money to my Fiancee. I have sent her money because, when we first met her English was very limited, in fact the first time we met, I hired a translator to be with us for the ten days I was with her. After we decided to join this stressful process, we decided it would be important for her to learn Engish. She enrolled full time in a Language college. I paid for all of her schooling, directly to the school. She lived on campus and I paid her daily living expenses. We both felt communication was a major factor in any relationship.

Question is do we bring any of this up during our interview? She has spent the last 8 months in school and she has done GREAT. We talk two times a day on the phone...everyday and she has accomplished her ability to speak English very well.

Thanks,

John and Siyi

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hhhmmm ...

I sent some WU receipts to prove I have been supporting my wife. Hope this did not hurt us. :lol:

Appaullo

That's different, I was talking about a K1 application. Since you two are married, I think you'll have to show financial support for her.

Now that the sending money has been brought to life I have a question. I too have filed for a K1 Visa, I too have sent money to my Fiancee. I have sent her money because, when we first met her English was very limited, in fact the first time we met, I hired a translator to be with us for the ten days I was with her. After we decided to join this stressful process, we decided it would be important for her to learn Engish. She enrolled full time in a Language college. I paid for all of her schooling, directly to the school. She lived on campus and I paid her daily living expenses. We both felt communication was a major factor in any relationship.

Question is do we bring any of this up during our interview? She has spent the last 8 months in school and she has done GREAT. We talk two times a day on the phone...everyday and she has accomplished her ability to speak English very well.

Thanks,

John and Siyi

Again, for a K1, it isn't an issue of how cash is exchanged between the two of you. Rather, the burden of proof falls upon the two of you to prove that you have a bona fide relationship. That means providing proof that you have met face-to-face, and have a viable on-going relationship, as evidenced by dated photographs, receipts of places you've both visited together, telephone logs showing both of your telephone numbers, and that sort of thing.

While you spending money to help your partner learn English is important to you both, there is the possibility that it might be misperceived as evidence of a viable relationship. It would be far better for your partner to use her new English skills during the interview to answer questions about you; like where you work, how old you are, how long she's known you, whether you've been previously married, and all other manner of personal questions. Try to keep the fact that you've provided any means of support out of the picture. Save all of that information after she gets to the US, you get married, and file for AOS.

I have started my kitchen sink and have a separate folder label just "WU" so she will not show them while at the interview unless they ask if I have been helping her with support.

My question is on the I-134, wouldn't having these show that you have a little extra showing that you can support her?

Guest ShaQuaNew

I have started my kitchen sink and have a separate folder label just "WU" so she will not show them while at the interview unless they ask if I have been helping her with support.

My question is on the I-134, wouldn't having these show that you have a little extra showing that you can support her?

You didn't mention whether you are filing K1; but your reference to the I-134 makes me think you probably are.

When it comes to K1, remember to focus on the fact that it is a FIANCEE visa. The primary focus of the assessment is on whether the USC and Beneficiary are able to clearly prove that they have:

A BONA FIDE RELATIONSHIP....

That has nothing whatsoever to do with whether someone has given their partner money. All the USC need do is to prove that their income is 125% above the published poverty guidelines for at least two years. If you've got that, then the financial part of the visa process is complete.

If you think about it, someone that makes 125% above the poverty level, isn't making a helluva lot of money, but yet, it's the US government that established those guidelines, and that's the sum total of what you need to prove financially.

I don't recall seeing any denials because the USC didn't make enough money. There have been plenty of people who knew in advance, that they didn't meet the guideline. The US government even goes so far to provide a clause for the USC to get another person to be a co-sponsor for their application.

So, it's not about the money; except perhaps in the mind of the person getting married wondering whether they can swing it on a financial level. That's a personal question between you and your partner, and should not become a part of the visa process.

Focus your energy on starting a log book of your day to day interactions with your partner. Take lots of photos of the two of you being together when you visit. Keep receipts of plane tickets, and receipts from restaurants where you've taken photos together. It's not about what you buy your partner, but it's about whether you guys talk on the phone, visit one another, go places together, and have a relationship. Avoid problems with 221(g) by doing these things....

You didn't mention whether you are filing K1; but your reference to the I-134 makes me think you probably are.

When it comes to K1, remember to focus on the fact that it is a FIANCEE visa. The primary focus of the assessment is on whether the USC and Beneficiary are able to clearly prove that they have:

That has nothing whatsoever to do with whether someone has given their partner money. All the USC need do is to prove that their income is 125% above the published poverty guidelines for at least two years. If you've got that, then the financial part of the visa process is complete.

If you think about it, someone that makes 125% above the poverty level, isn't making a helluva lot of money, but yet, it's the US government that established those guidelines, and that's the sum total of what you need to prove financially.

I don't recall seeing any denials because the USC didn't make enough money. There have been plenty of people who knew in advance, that they didn't meet the guideline. The US government even goes so far to provide a clause for the USC to get another person to be a co-sponsor for their application.

So, it's not about the money; except perhaps in the mind of the person getting married wondering whether they can swing it on a financial level. That's a personal question between you and your partner, and should not become a part of the visa process.

Focus your energy on starting a log book of your day to day interactions with your partner. Take lots of photos of the two of you being together when you visit. Keep receipts of plane tickets, and receipts from restaurants where you've taken photos together. It's not about what you buy your partner, but it's about whether you guys talk on the phone, visit one another, go places together, and have a relationship. Avoid problems with 221(g) by doing these things....

What do you mean "Avoid problems with 221(g)"?

Guest ShaQuaNew

221(g) is a clause used by immigration that manifests in the form of a denial. This denial is usually always indicated as a "Non-Bona Fide Relationship."

Submitting properly completed forms that includes any needed attachments for evidence of a bona fide relationship in the earliest part of the process can help avoid negative assessments along the road. Sometimes members come on board to candle after they have submitted petitions, or later learned about how other members have succeeded in the process; they then learn that they may not have included something someone else did, or didn't complete a form properly.

221(g) is the section of the INA dealing with "Classes of Aliens Ineligible to Receive Visas". He's just saying don't get denied, since "221(g)" all by itself can be listed as a reason for denial.