Hillary Goes to China

Nice for change for US envoy to go there and not start off harping about human rights. Hope her visit helps secure a stronger relationship.

first lines of report

Topics for discussion are expected to include the economy, human rights, climate change and North Korea.

will be intersting to hear how both countries will improve their record.

apparently, her comments and position has caused some shock to activist who believe they are the international police...

it's a sad day when the government is taking a strong and practical position to improve international relationships and there are others who feel we should just dictate what other countries do...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090220/pl_af...asiachinarights

apparently, her comments and position has caused some shock to activist who believe they are the international police...

it's a sad day when the government is taking a strong and practical position to improve international relationships and there are others who feel we should just dictate what other countries do...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090220/pl_af...asiachinarights

Hell no matter what we say as the US in the political arena when it come to China or other places that have a history of human rights issues as defined by other we will be criticized about it. Though I do think that we as a nation needs to not dictate what others should do.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Nice for change for US envoy to go there and not start off harping about human rights. Hope her visit helps secure a stronger relationship.

What bothers me about this is that the US continues to take an arrogant posture toward China; it wants to teach rather than learn. Sort of like having a visitor in your home trying to tell you how to raise your family.

What bothers me about this is that the US continues to take an arrogant posture toward China; it wants to teach rather than learn. Sort of like having a visitor in your home trying to tell you how to raise your family.

How do you know the new administration's tone hasn't changed and is still lecturing? Is this what is conveyed by the Chinese media or just your opinion?

Guest ShaQuaNew

How do you know the new administration's tone hasn't changed and is still lecturing? Is this what is conveyed by the Chinese media or just your opinion?

It's been widely reported in Chinese news that Chinese officials were extremely upset not only by US posturing on Human rights, but the fact they chose to visit Japan before visiting China. However, they chose NOT to let it get in the way of giving Hillary a warm reception. They are used to hearing the US rhetoric.

It is my OPINION that the US is very unlikely to change it's posture toward China, and given the records of those who support the current president, US posturing will likely worsen rather than improve. Surely I hope it doesn't, but it's my opinion that it will.

It's been widely reported in Chinese news that Chinese officials were extremely upset not only by US posturing on Human rights, but the fact they chose to visit Japan before visiting China. However, they chose NOT to let it get in the way of giving Hillary a warm reception. They are used to hearing the US rhetoric.

It is my OPINION that the US is very unlikely to change it's posture toward China, and given the records of those who support the current president, US posturing will likely worsen rather than improve. Surely I hope it doesn't, but it's my opinion that it will.

They shouldn't make an issue of Japan; after all a USC doesn't need a visa for a stay of 90 days or less. :blink:

Based on the article I posted.... I think there is a small glimmer of hope of a different strategy for US-Sino relationship building... If the governments position is pissing off activist, then it seems some "change" is being felt.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Based on the article I posted.... I think there is a small glimmer of hope of a different strategy for US-Sino relationship building... If the governments position is pissing off activist, then it seems some "change" is being felt.

I hope so. Time will tell...