Wife Employment Possibilities?

My wife has expressed an interest in seeking employment and we are working on a resume for her. Her formal schooling (2 years) is in Accounting and some Appliance Sales & Accounting. She has done both for about 7 years. My sweet wife is extremely bright and enthusiastic, attends adult ESOL classes 4 nights a week, is constantly making use of her translation dictionary and our computer for looking up words and pronunciation, but her English is still a bit limited. Her Accounting background did not make use of computers and was done manually on paper using calculators and an abacus.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to translate this experience into a compelling resume or perhaps can offer an example of how you worded your wife's resume and cover letter to express her exceptional work ethics and how to overcome a prospective employers reluctance to hire someone with some-what limited English and computer skills?

Starting today, I will have my wonderful wife start practicing with my QuickBooks and Quicken as well as Microsoft Word and Excel, but this may take some time.

Any and all thoughts would be welcome so I can start preparing her resume. My Accountant has expressed an interest in receiving her resume soon and using her help in March or April but I fear he may be dissappointed with her language skills.

Thank you all! : )

I've thought about the same thing for my wife.

While she is a bright spot in my life and home, and she has job skills acquired over a successful career in China...

I can see how the need to explain things more than once to get complete understanding and inevitable miscommunications would make working in an environment without the support of other Chinese women very stressful (and possibly unsuccessful) for her.

Failure in the workplace would result in much loss of face.

So, she has been working weekends at a job that is more menial than her experience and skills would dictate. But, she is working where Chinese is spoken as much or more than English and she seems happy with that for the time being.

She goes to adult ESL classes during the day while I'm at work M-F and studies hard every evening. I know with the kind of effort she puts forth her fluency will eventually allow her to work in her field in America.

As for resumes: They are, by definition, strictly business. I don't know how you can get into a resume that she's sweet, honorable, and diligent. (Everybody claims to be that, the fact that our wives REALLY ARE just about needs to be demonstrated after being hired.)

I've thought about the same thing for my wife.

While she is a bright spot in my life and home, and she has job skills acquired over a successful career in China...

I can see how the need to explain things more than once to get complete understanding and inevitable miscommunications would make working in an environment without the support of other Chinese women very stressful (and possibly unsuccessful) for her.

Failure in the workplace would result in much loss of face.

So, she has been working weekends at a job that is more menial than her experience and skills would dictate. But, she is working where Chinese is spoken as much or more than English and she seems happy with that for the time being.

She goes to adult ESL classes during the day while I'm at work M-F and studies hard every evening. I know with the kind of effort she puts forth her fluency will eventually allow her to work in her field in America.

As for resumes: They are, by definition, strictly business. I don't know how you can get into a resume that she's sweet, honorable, and diligent. (Everybody claims to be that, the fact that our wives REALLY ARE just about needs to be demonstrated after being hired.)

Thank you so much for writing. You said everything that I meant to say (much better than me!) You and I are in exactly the same boat and saving face is first and foremost on my mind. She sees me coming home wiped out every night and wants to contribute. I adore her for this, and want to help her contribute. I just fear something menial and lowering her self-esteem. Thank you again for writing and I look forward to others offering their thoughts.

get her into toastmasters asap - see www.toastmasters.org for more info. but that's not an answer to yer main point. Toastmasters is useful for 'non-husband' critique on Verbal English Usage, among other things. She can also talk to the other members at a chapter, ask about jobs in their comapnies.

I am in this same boat. My wife is/was an accounant in China and is great with numbers but she is scared to get a job and not understand something. She is in the local community college retaking accounting classes just to get accustomed to how "we" do it and the terminology. She has already passed all the ESOL classes so she could take the full blown english stuff. She studies all day everyday! The acct is pretty easy for her, numner are numbbers but, the english terminology is the toughter part but she is doing great.

I was trying to get her to work at a local bank but she is still a little unsure of her englsih skills, well that and the fact that spanish is almost a must.

get her into toastmasters asap - see www.toastmasters.org for more info. but that's not an answer to yer main point. Toastmasters is useful for 'non-husband' critique on Verbal English Usage, among other things. She can also talk to the other members at a chapter, ask about jobs in their comapnies.

Excellent suggestion.

I am a member of toastmasters. I plan to get Li started eventually. However, I think (for her) it is a bit too soon.

Excellent suggestion.

I am a member of toastmasters. I plan to get Li started eventually. However, I think (for her) it is a bit too soon.

Funny - the Chinese Baptist Church back in Houston had two meetings scheduled - one for mandarin speakers, one for cantonese speakers.

I challenge you to find something similar in your area. I double dog dare ya... :D

It's a bit late to start the season, but I do suggest she work with a small chinese-american-based tax prep firm. She'll get an understanding of usa basic tax laws, in real time, and in person. This kind o work is seasonal, so she can go on to do other things after one tax season.

If that seems 'too much' for now - suggest to her that she enroll in the H & R Block tax prep class in November of this year, and do tax returns for 2010. Even though computers are used, the majority of 'the work' is in actual prep, reading accounting ledgers and transposing digits into the right 'tax column'.

My wife has expressed an interest in seeking employment and we are working on a resume for her. Her formal schooling (2 years) is in Accounting and some Appliance Sales & Accounting. She has done both for about 7 years. My sweet wife is extremely bright and enthusiastic, attends adult ESOL classes 4 nights a week, is constantly making use of her translation dictionary and our computer for looking up words and pronunciation, but her English is still a bit limited. Her Accounting background did not make use of computers and was done manually on paper using calculators and an abacus.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to translate this experience into a compelling resume or perhaps can offer an example of how you worded your wife's resume and cover letter to express her exceptional work ethics and how to overcome a prospective employers reluctance to hire someone with some-what limited English and computer skills?

Starting today, I will have my wonderful wife start practicing with my QuickBooks and Quicken as well as Microsoft Word and Excel, but this may take some time.

Any and all thoughts would be welcome so I can start preparing her resume. My Accountant has expressed an interest in receiving her resume soon and using her help in March or April but I fear he may be dissappointed with her language skills.

Thank you all! : )

You've already received some excellent long term solutions as well as your outline of some important skills. (Toastmaster's, H&R Block Tax season prep and part time work, and computer skills).

I own and run a company in D.C., and we have an Accounting/Payroll staff of about 10 folks. We have "Often" wanted a "Junior" hire for lot's of reasons. Not everyone can be the boss, we pay less for "junior" people, and not all jobs in the accounting department interface with the CFO, External Government Auditors, our customers, etc. There is an obvious "hierarchy" within this department.

Ok, basically English is important -- but is NOT the #1 skill needed, in most situations. The best "technical skill set" is Computer skills. Without a doubt....she needs to be an Excel expert, which includes linking sheets, importing-exporting data, report generation and macros!!! It doesn't matter what "Accounting System" they are using data out - manipulation of - and data in is a "Basic Skill". You can't outguess what system they have....Oracle, SAP, Deltek, Quickbooks, Peachtree - etc...it really doesn't matter. OK these are skills.

Does she know "Double Entry Accounting" and does she "understand" all aspects of Cash vs Accrual Accounting? If she doesn't she needs to get a book - and understand these concepts "dead on". Depreciation, Amortization, and Banking (Reconcilliation, Deposits etc) are the next important.

OK now for the most Import THINGS a prospective employer needs to now from the resume and interview.

A. Honest

B. Hardworking..doesn't play on the computer, just works!!

C. Team Player-dedicated to the company/employer.

D. Open to new ideas

E. Will do anything to have an opportunity and will do any Accounting Task...without exception.

She can show all this in/on the resume. Just keep it simple and straightforward. Her OBJECTIVE SHOULD BE DEAD HONEST...."I have just moved to the US to live with my husband and desire an entry level accounting position - similar to positions I held in China. I want an opportunity to prove how valuable I can be to my employer!"

Just my opinion from years of interviewing "literally" thousands of staff, technical and executive positions for my consulting business in D.C. I could write a book about the worthless "dribble" in resumes - and the "brain dead" college graduates who don't have a clue what is valuable to owners/managers! (IMHO)

Best of Luck....OH...remember to BE "FLEXIBLE"...perhaps those that interview need "temp" or PT work.

These are all outstanding ideas and areas of focus for us, and I thank you all for taking the time to write and share your clear insight. I knew my friends at CFL would shed some light! Sometimes the "forest- through-the-trees" problem arises and you've given us direction. Another obstacle I forgot to mention was my sweet wife does not drive and is just beginning to digest the learners permit study manual. It'll be months before she has a vehicle because I can't afford additional car or insurance right now. Mass-transit in S. Fla is the pits. For now, we'll focus on computer software and suggested website/H&R Block. Thank you all again and we hope you and your wonderful gals are enjoying Valentine's Day! : )

some accounting classes in a local/community college would really help. not only helping in her computer skills, but also learning accounting terms in English and interact with classmates in English. It will help boost her confidence A LOT. And these courses/certificate looks GREAT on the resume. She'll have many stories to tell during an interview then. =)

Excellent suggestion.

Funny - the Chinese Baptist Church back in Houston had two meetings scheduled - one for mandarin speakers, one for cantonese speakers.

I challenge you to find something similar in your area. I double dog dare ya... :)

That would be really nice. But, here there are only two Toastmaster chapters. One is business oriented and meets downtown, the other is at the university.

Our university has a large international student population and many attend Toastmasters meetings. This will be where I'll encourage Li to go first.