I was laid off unexpectedly yesterday for an undetermined amount of time. I wasn't able to get a letter of employment out with my P2 (I wondered why they were taking so long getting that to me). The job market for my work is nearly non-existent in this area as is the housing market. I'm faced with the probability of having to move to find work and being stuck with a house that won't sell.

Anyway, I'm unsure of what to do about our visa app. Should I send it in minus the letter of employment and then file a change of address if needed later once I figure out what to do? I'm assuming they will just send me a checklist of missing documents for the letter of employment once they get to that.

I've always known that our time line is going to be suspicious to GUZ and that the probability of a white slip was high. My plan B was to get my TESL and teach in China. My wife and I are discussing that as an option as well, but there are many hurdles to be overcome (like my inability to learn to speak and understand Chinese).

One thing I do know, life is a grand adventure and one never knows what lies around the next turn. Hopefully I can take lemons and make lemonade!!

Just MHO, proceed. Everything economic wise will be based on three year average. I know people will point out that's not what you have to file now, but in the end that's what it'll boil down to. Instead of the letter of employment you might try drafting a letter yourself listing employment history and salaries, kind of like a cover letter for your resume. You can't be the only person this has happened to. I say get the ball rolling ASAP. As you noted, the worse the can happen is a request for info. Sidebar, Lake Side Inn is in my extended family. I'm the black sheep side so I've only been a few times, but it was a sweet area a few years back.

Sorry to hear about that. I hope things work out well for you.

I also have a house in an economically depressed area that I cannot sell. Fortunately, I have a good renter (as I now live about a thousand miles away). Even so, it can cause a lot of grey hair.

Be careful when looking for jobs teaching English in China. The good, the bad, and the ugly all exist. In a contract dispute, the Chinese party will always win.

Best wishes...

I was laid off unexpectedly yesterday for an undetermined amount of time. I wasn't able to get a letter of employment out with my P2 (I wondered why they were taking so long getting that to me). The job market for my work is nearly non-existent in this area as is the housing market. I'm faced with the probability of having to move to find work and being stuck with a house that won't sell.

Anyway, I'm unsure of what to do about our visa app. Should I send it in minus the letter of employment and then file a change of address if needed later once I figure out what to do? I'm assuming they will just send me a checklist of missing documents for the letter of employment once they get to that.

I've always known that our time line is going to be suspicious to GUZ and that the probability of a white slip was high. My plan B was to get my TESL and teach in China. My wife and I are discussing that as an option as well, but there are many hurdles to be overcome (like my inability to learn to speak and understand Chinese).

One thing I do know, life is a grand adventure and one never knows what lies around the next turn. Hopefully I can take lemons and make lemonade!!

A tough break and unfortunately, as we all know a sign of the times. I have no practical advice;I will leave that to those more knowledgeable then me. I just want to wish you the best of luck

jim

The employment letter is not really needed... 3 years of tax returns with the I-864 to NVC is enough. I would just send that in at the appropriate time; but you'll have to check "unemployed since...". But that should not cause an issue to the NVC...

Here is what I'd do: by the time of the interview, either have a job and updated I-864 or a joint sponsor with a I-864; And have your wife turn it in at the morning interview so the VO gets it prior to the actual interview.

You'll also have to be sensitive to your wife's feelings if you don't get a job by the interview time; giving her a sense of security cannot be overlooked no matter what she seems to say... Sorry to get off topic, so I'll leave it at that.