China court orders severe punishment for milk scandal

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

China does not play around with criminals. We should take the lead on the way they do things over there.

These greedy tinhorn parasite money manipulators that helped cause this worldwide financial meltdown and ruining their clients retirements if they are convicted of fraud they should be sent to one of the remote Trust Pacific Islands territories the US aquirred from Japan after World War 2 for 10 years. Give these crooks a book on Robinson Caruso and ok see ya, don't want to be ya.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/ap_on_...na_tainted_milk

China does not play around with criminals. We should take the lead on the way they do things over there.

These greedy tinhorn parasite money manipulators that helped cause this worldwide financial meltdown and ruining their clients retirements if they are convicted of fraud they should be sent to one of the remote Trust Pacific Islands territories the US aquirred from Japan after World War 2 for 10 years. Give these crooks a book on Robinson Caruso and ok see ya, don't want to be ya.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/ap_on_...na_tainted_milk

Average time between arrest and execution is something like 90 days.

In the US it's something like 17 years ... at $50k a year plus legal expenses.

I agree. The punishment fits the crime.

Would I like to see people like Bernie Madoff tried & punished in the Chinese way? You betcha!

However, it really doesn't seem as though the level of corruption in China is better than in America. Is their system of justice really a better deterrent than ours?

Criminals don't consider the consequences. They think only of themselves, only of easy money.

I agree. The punishment fits the crime.

Would I like to see people like Bernie Madoff tried & punished in the Chinese way? You betcha!

However, it really doesn't seem as though the level of corruption in China is better than in America. Is their system of justice really a better deterrent than ours?

Criminals don't consider the consequences. They think only of themselves, only of easy money.

It's not a deterrent, but a way to make a show of doing something about it. If you can pick a few people to put to death it seems like the problem is solved to many, even when that is far from the case.

However, I do think our system of locking people up for decades and decades, putting out $50K of law abiding people's money for their care and housing per year, even those sentenced to death, is broken and shameful also. I wouldn't mind a few more executions here either.

Guest Tony n Terrific

It's not 100% effective but hanging some crooks like Madoff by their balls and letting their corpse rot on Wall Street would make some of them think twice. Same thing with lobbyist and guvment folks. Only need 1 or 2 every 10 to 20 years.

I will buy stock in the the rope company.

It's not a deterrent, but a way to make a show of doing something about it. If you can pick a few people to put to death it seems like the problem is solved to many, even when that is far from the case.

However, I do think our system of locking people up for decades and decades, putting out $50K of law abiding people's money for their care and housing per year, even those sentenced to death, is broken and shameful also. I wouldn't mind a few more executions here either.

I agree with you.

Our system is definitely broken. Not only is it expensive, we have the highest per capita incarceration rate in history. (According to stuff I've read and not verified.)

I don't claim to know a lot about the Chinese criminal justice system. But, I'd bet that their system is also far from perfect.

Many families whose children have suffered and may continue to suffer from melamine tainted milk say this is a cover up of government ineptitude. That the real culprits are those in government who are supposed to oversee the quality of (in this case) milk products.

I wonder...

Guest ShaQuaNew

It seems no matter where you go, people will try any shortcut they can to make an extra buck. You of course see this happen in the US, as it does in China. The whole tainted milk thing is taken very seriously in China, and is in the news every single day. As you would expect, the children of China are beloved by their parents. The FDA has done a good job in America by inspecting quality into the products delivered to American consumers. Is it the best method available? Who knows? It seems to work most of the time, but there is also a history in the US when bad things get through to consumers. Today, most Americans wouldn't have a second thought about eating or drinking something purchased in their neighborhood grocery store.

The FDA didn't just happen, it evolved over time into the mega-system it is today, both at the Federal and local level. The people of America enjoy clean restrooms and restaurants with clean kitchens. Personally, I don't view China as a third-world nation hell-bent on covering up all sort of malady that happens in the country. Each time catastrophic events like this happen, people work to get systems in place to prevent them from happening again. It's important to remember that China is NOT the US, but they are looking to make things better for everyone in their country. The cynical across the board line of thinking that the government of China is somehow trying to trick and deceive its people is archaic.

Time will tell whether the swift justice served in China has any effect on this sort of thing in the future.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)