will marriage get me a work visa for PRC?

I wonder what is the smoothest way for a USC to gain a work visa for China?

Ideally, I would want to avoid employer involvement in my visa status because, it seems to me, that is giving an employer the upper hand.

If I am married to a Chinese, would that suffice?

Marriage to a Chinese citizen will, in and of itself, never qualify you for a work visa.

The only thing it does qualify you for is a one-year "L" tourist visa with no maximum stay requirements. Even that, however, is spotty as a lot depends on where your wife's hukou is and the city where you apply.

I think only your company can get you a visa.

ah, ok. I was wondering because of a job application online which had the question such as are you authorized to work in the country you are applying for. I guess, until I get a job which sponsors a work visa for me, the answer to that would always be no.

Hmm. On the other hand, with the Internet at hand, I wonder if a web-based business and self-employment would be realistic. Maybe it's easier to start a business than get a good paying job there?

ah, ok. I was wondering because of a job application online which had the question such as are you authorized to work in the country you are applying for. I guess, until I get a job which sponsors a work visa for me, the answer to that would always be no.

Hmm. On the other hand, with the Internet at hand, I wonder if a web-based business and self-employment would be realistic. Maybe it's easier to start a business than get a good paying job there?

Where are you talking about starting a business? If you are talking about in China I believe you have to have someone in China that is a citizen there to represent you to even think about it. If it is here in the USA no big deal start it and work like the devil. If you are good at it and you get some clients you may just make it.

Guest Rob & Jin

i think it depends on what kind of business/job you are talking about and good paying meaning what. It's going to vary alot between provences, cities and what you are qualified to do.

As for getting a "work visa" again depends on the route you take check out some web sites on it and get your gal to ask around, alot in china depends on "relationships"

good luck :)

Where are you talking about starting a business? If you are talking about in China I believe you have to have someone in China that is a citizen there to represent you to even think about it. If it is here in the USA no big deal start it and work like the devil. If you are good at it and you get some clients you may just make it.

Yeah, I was thinking Dalian, China, due to the high-tech sector there and I like the area. On the self-employed route, I suppose I could work there online for a business I could register in the US.