Is there a quicker way to get work permit

I just went back from a job interview. I am offered a part time job as a translator and an interpreter in a school. My concern is that we haven't filed out our AOS documents and I heard it takes 3 months to obtain the work permit. My question is: Is there a quicker way to work legally? for instance, a temporary work permit?

Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, states:

"if employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the required document(s) within three business days, they must present a receipt for the application of [sic] the document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s) within ninety (90) days."

----

The theory goes; those that have filed for the work permit should get it within 90 days; if not then they can get an infopass appointment and get the temporary permit.

Based on the I-9 allowing the employee to have up to 90 days to produce the permit, the employers can accept a receipt or proof of filing for the permit as assurance and allowance of giving you 90 days... and so, if the employer will agree, they can let you start to work based on the receipt or proof of filing...

Let me make sure that I understand this.

My wife can legally go to work while her EAD is pending?

She has NOA1 and biometrics complete for the I-765/I-485.

She has her SSN.

So this I-9 statement allows her to legally go to work?

Where can I get a copy of this I-9 document?

Do you think that this I-9 document can be used to renew her driver's permit?

Her driver's permit expired when her visa expired. The CA DMV near my house stated that they will not renew it without an EAD card.

Thank you,

-Squonk

Let me make sure that I understand this.

My wife can legally go to work while her EAD is pending?

She has NOA1 and biometrics complete for the I-765/I-485.

She has her SSN.

So this I-9 statement allows her to legally go to work?

Where can I get a copy of this I-9 document?

Do you think that this I-9 document can be used to renew her driver's permit?

Her driver's permit expired when her visa expired. The CA DMV near my house stated that they will not renew it without an EAD card.

Thank you,

-Squonk

A given employer may or may not be willing to hire her before she has her EAD in hand.

The I-9 is a document that the employer uses to verify eligibility

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The CA DMV will not renew the driver's permit without an EAD card

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

Hi, this is joannaliu's husband. We're still confused about this. We just received her NOA1 (I-797C) for both her I-765 and I-485. We were excited about receiving these because we were under the impression that all she needs to do now is just present this receipt to her future employer as proof that she has applied for the Green Card, and then she can work (and then, within 90 days, provide her Green Card). That's the assumption we are under at this point.

The confusion we are facing now is that on the NOA1 receipts, it expressly states, "This receipt notice does NOT grant any immigration status or benefit. You may not present this receipt as evidence that you have been granted any immigration status or benefit."

Our assumption about "presenting" this receipt to her future employer as "evidence" that she has applied for her Green Card, which will enable her to work (a benefit) is in stark contradiction to what this damned receipt says.

As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "What's the deal with that?"

-joannaliu de laogong

Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, states:

"if employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the required document(s) within three business days, they must present a receipt for the application of [sic] the document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s) within ninety (90) days."

----

The theory goes; those that have filed for the work permit should get it within 90 days; if not then they can get an infopass appointment and get the temporary permit.

Based on the I-9 allowing the employee to have up to 90 days to produce the permit, the employers can accept a receipt or proof of filing for the permit as assurance and allowance of giving you 90 days... and so, if the employer will agree, they can let you start to work based on the receipt or proof of filing...