Civil Surgeon today...

We left Eureka at 07:00 and arrived at the Civil Surgeon's office at 13:00 (90 minutes of shopping before the doc).

The doc wanted to give them a full physical at $200+ a gal without shots...but thanks to this board...I insisted the physical had been done already in China. $125/each for the doc to prescribe a TB test for both of them and 3 vaccinations for my wife. $235 for the shots & TB tests at the public health department...but we've got another bill coming for reading the TB tests. I cannot take another day off of work and drive 400+ miles to have someone put a ruler to the TB test. OYE!

BTW - The doc opened the X-rays of both gals which I was a little nervous about thinking about the "sealed envelope" but it made sense that he should review the x-ray so that when the Chinese TB vaccine throws a false positive he knows that their chests are free from TB.

*** One thing I'd urge everyone to do before leaving China with their wife or fiancee is to get ALL of their gal's and children's medical records to the best of your ability. I didn't like my wife getting vaccinations when I feel certain that she's had them and didn't need them.

*** Another thing I'd recommend is that you get to the Civil Surgeon 6 weeks in advance of your filing deadline. I'll just squeek by (I hope).

wow you went thru a lot! i will be sending off my aos package soon also, but i don't plan on having a tb test done as this was done in guz. i know that uscis changed the tb testing procedure so i guess i'll cross my fingers and hope we don't get an rfe. i had dr.. arnold in texas fill out the 693 for me and hopefully all will be ok. good luck with a speedy aos!

All you needed to do is get vaccinations or immunity testing (titer) handled by any medical facility (some states and county health departments do them for free of a very low cost), then get the results transferred to the vaccinations section of the I-693, the directions included clearly instruct the C.S. that a full medical in not needed for K-Visa holders because they had a medical for the visa.

My Yu got vaccinations done in GUZ after getting visa, cost about $100. We then took the yellow vaccinations book to a C.S. and I INSISTED on just vaccination record be done, FEE $30.

There is a doctor that will do this by mail for $20 or so.

Dr. L. E. Arnold

4534 Westgate Boulevard, Suite 106

Austin, TX 78745

Tel: (512) 444-3131

Fax: (512) 447-4699

do i need to have a tb test done? i thought it was done in guz, but i don't know if it was done according to the new uscis guidelines. i have the chest x-ray. after reading the 485 and 693 instructions it states we only need the vaccination supplement, but some members are having the tb test done and i'm worried we need to have it done also. any help is appreciated.

Edited by dale7570 (see edit history)
  • 4 months later...

wow you went thru a lot! i will be sending off my aos package soon also, but i don't plan on having a tb test done as this was done in guz. i know that uscis changed the tb testing procedure so i guess i'll cross my fingers and hope we don't get an rfe. i had dr.. arnold in texas fill out the 693 for me and hopefully all will be ok. good luck with a speedy aos!

How do you know the TB test was done in Guz? We have the little medical exam books, but I don't see anything in these books regarding a TB test (and we got the standard exam). Also, a TB test requires more than one day doesn't it? When our son got his TB test, they did a skin test, and the results were returned 2 or 3 days later.

you didnt get the vaccinations and yellow book in china ?

How do you know the TB test was done in Guz? We have the little medical exam books, but I don't see anything in these books regarding a TB test (and we got the standard exam). Also, a TB test requires more than one day doesn't it? When our son got his TB test, they did a skin test, and the results were returned 2 or 3 days later.

honestly, i dont know for sure but its my understanding thats the tb test is part of the exam. if the skin reaction is more than 5mm, then they take an xray to be sure tb is not present. they did take an xray. i turned in the aos paperwork on 10-20-08 and so far have not received an rfe.

you didnt get the vaccinations and yellow book in china ?

yes, we had this done in china and then i mailed copies of the vaccination records to dr. arnold, who transribed the info to the sealed i-693.

My wife and daughter had their med exams completed in GZ in very late May '08. That was near the end of the time they were only doing the chest x-ray. Those that had their exams prior to June '08 are 'grandfathered' in with the old rules.

Now, they are doing the skin test (TST) and only performing the chest x-ray if the skin test is positive.

My wife and daughter's med exam books do not have any TST entry listed. The yellow vacc' books just show the exit required vaccines that were due as of the date of the exam.

All that my Civil Surgeon asked for was the yellow books to be transcribed onto the USCIS form and sealed in an envelope.

If your wife had the med exam after much after June (30 day grace period) then they would fall under the new guidelines and they would have had the TST only, and no x-ray unless the skin test was +.

This actually makes more sense, as no one wanted to look at the x-ray film anyway. The POE officers are not set up to view them and I doubt they are trained in reading them !! My wifes x-ray with attached form stating it is clear, now sits on a shelf.....next to her GUZ Pink slip, which we will keep forever !!!

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)