Moon Festival

Hmmm ... since she hasn't come up for air, here's Joanne's moon cake recipe:

Today is the Lunar Mid Autumn Festival.

Hubby decided that we should make some moon cakes. They turned out to be the best I ever tasted.

Here is a rough recipe:

Crust: use apply pie crust recipe. Make half an apply pie crust batch (1 and 1/2 cups of floor + 1/2 cups of 0 transfat shortings + 1/4 teaspoons salt + about 1/4 cups of water).

Fillings:

1 cup of steamed acorn squarsh

1/2 cups of finely chopped pitted dates

2 table spoons of soy flour

2 tea spoons of room temperature butter

some pine nuts

some finely chopped walnuts

some pumpkin seeds

a small handful of currants

1/2 teaspoon of salt

Mix the filling ingredients listed above together. (Hubby made the fillings, so it was his invention with my input)

Cut the crust dough to Ping Pong size balls and roll them out. Add slightly larger amount of fillings and wrap up. Then press the wrapped ball in a flat bowl with sesame seeds at the bottom, so to have the moon cake coated with sesame seeds.

Then lay them on a flat cookie sheet. Bake at around 375F (Just a guess because our oven temperature control does not work. Bake for about 20 minutes (also a guess because I didn't check the clock). Turn them around at about 2/3 of the way, till both sides turn to a light golden color.

We all like the result very much.

© 2008 Joanne

All Rights Reserved

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

My wife has something special planned for the moon festival, but she's not sharing it with me. Thankfully, like me, she doesn't much care for mooncake. I know she's up to something though. Will let you know.... :D

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ShaQuaNew

Lan and I went to Xian, to spend the long Moon day weekend here in China. While there, we visited the bell tower, where we had a great night view of not only the bell tower, but the full moon above it. An extraordinarily clear night.

http://i35.tinypic.com/qq2wkp.jpg

Lan and I went to Xian, to spend the long Moon day weekend here in China. While there, we visited the bell tower, where we had a great night view of not only the bell tower, but the full moon above it. An extraordinarily clear night.

http://i35.tinypic.com/qq2wkp.jpg

Really cool pic ShaQuaNew!

My sweet Haiqing and I have been eating all sorts of Moon Cakes the last week ;) She has some of the Hagen Daas ice cream Moon Cakes and they are just like Dove Bars, ice cream on the inside with a white chocolate or chocolate shell outside. Nothing close to traditional Moon Cakes ... just a marketing ploy to cash in on the Festival bucks!

They are however really yummy :( Haiqing has never had anything like them before and loved it! I told her there's all sorts of this sort of thing in the USA and you can buy it almost anywhere at any time of the year ... she liked that :D

Have a terrific day!

Bob