Cars in China...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, have heard this information...... not from Lao po, but from a Chinese-American in my former residence of Danville, VA. He's a young man who owns a local restaurant and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I was convinced enough to not even check out the possibilty of shipping over my beloved 1993 Miata.

Does this mean I am gonna need to pay off some Chinese official so my Pimp Daddy Pink 59' convertable Caddy is legal? Oh well, no worries... a lil' food, booze, and some karioke and everything is oki-dokey in Chinatucky. :yay:

I'm gonna put 4 air horns on it and hire me a Chinese feller to drive me n' the lil' rabbit around in it. :yay: I flew helicopters in Cambodia and Vietnam, but I ain't drivin' no car 2 FEET in China...NO WAY!!!! Me n' the lil' rabbit will be safely in the backseat of the caddy and our driver will be able to run over most anything that gets in his way. :lol:

crap seui

Please "all" don't forget about parking. My gal bought a Nissan Teana (Maxima look alike - nice car) at the same time she bought a new house. (New house means high rise they hadn't built yet...she paid cash for both) She also bought a "parking place" for $18,000.00 USD in the existing building -- adjacent to where her new building was being erected (Same complex).

Fast forward two years. When I heard of this I said; "why would you buy a parking place 2 years before you need it in the new house"? She said..prices go up! I mumbled something derogatory and the conversation ended....(yea ...I'm not too bright)

We moved into her new house in May. Last month they opened up the new building parking places for our building (remember the spot she bought for $18K USD is about 100 feet under the next building easy underground walk from elevator) and you're not going to believe this...the PRICE for the new parking spots......$63,000 USD. It's over twice what she paid for the car!!!! But guess what...all the good spots are GONE !!!! Purchased within 1 week of being available.

Yea -- my gal didn't say anything...just looked at me with that look..YOU ALL KNOW IT, yea the one that says.. I WAS RIGHT BUT YOU WOULDN"T LISTEN TO ME!

Hawaii Mike (Now eating Crow)

Please "all" don't forget about parking. My gal bought a Nissan Teana (Maxima look alike - nice car) at the same time she bought a new house. (New house means high rise they hadn't built yet...she paid cash for both) She also bought a "parking place" for $18,000.00 USD in the existing building -- adjacent to where her new building was being erected (Same complex).

Fast forward two years. When I heard of this I said; "why would you buy a parking place 2 years before you need it in the new house"? She said..prices go up! I mumbled something derogatory and the conversation ended....(yea ...I'm not too bright)

We moved into her new house in May. Last month they opened up the new building parking places for our building (remember the spot she bought for $18K USD is about 100 feet under the next building easy underground walk from elevator) and you're not going to believe this...the PRICE for the new parking spots......$63,000 USD. It's over twice what she paid for the car!!!! But guess what...all the good spots are GONE !!!! Purchased within 1 week of being available.

Yea -- my gal didn't say anything...just looked at me with that look..YOU ALL KNOW IT, yea the one that says.. I WAS RIGHT BUT YOU WOULDN"T LISTEN TO ME!

Hawaii Mike (Now eating Crow)

A perfect example of why I could never afford to live in Xiamen...In our little burg of Yuxi, Yunnan we were offered an underground parking space when we bought our house for an additional $5K...We declined on the advice of our local friend who said we could do much better paying for a monthly spot in a surface lot...In Qionghai, Hainan there is no underground parking but a surface spot in front of our building is under 100 RMB/month... :D

I've heard a (wifey) rumor that cars more than 12 years old cannot be licensed. That is, once they hit the big one-two they have to be trashed.

This would put a big dent in resale value, if true. Is it?

I do know that used cars are cheap in China so this would make sense...It also seems that it would be a good deal to buy used and then just park it out in the back 40 when it hits the 12 year mark... :D

• 2 weeks later...