wire transfering money to china

Any one knows if there are restrictions in wiring money to china? I'm trying to wire transfer a large sum over for a banquet and some money to my SO. Any help appreciated.

Bank not too many problems, western union is 10k a transfer at most locations! :(

Thanks! What would I need from the Chinese banks in order to do a transfer? It's good to know that we can do atleast a 10k transfer from Western Union as well. :lol:

You need :

1. Account Holder Name and Address

2. Account Number

3. Bank Routing Number

I also have done this...a requirement they made to us was we needed to have an acount with american dollars...so she opened an account with ten USA Dollars...will need her id card to open this also....and for the routing number, at there, they call this the "swift code"...and i think the fee at my bank was $100 to do this....also it really helped that at the bank in china the money was sent to, had a young lady who spoke good english....was very helpful to do this...so the money went there as american dollars and when withdrawn, she took the usa dollars and had converted to rmb

... I'm trying to wire transfer a large sum over ..../quote]

What do you mean trying? We opened an account with a bank in Calif. that stated they had a banking relationship with my father-in-law's bank. We signed a lot of forms. We deposited a check, a big check, much larger than most people's wedding banquets cost. When the check cleared, the wire transfer was made. There was never any mention of a dollar size limit. Almost immediately Dad transferred the funds to rmb. We felt like we made some money on the ensuing exchange rate changes.

One of the forms we signed authorized telephoned instructions for future wires. Later on we did telephone. First, I wired the money from N.Y. to Calif and then, from Calif to Dad. Again, no mention of any limit. And, specifically, no requirement for Dad to have an existing dollar denominated account. At least, no mention that I recall, nor do I recall any limits on how much we could send.

Go down to the bank you want to use and ask them, you'll find out in short order.