Checked with local utilty on process for adding wife to the account for the I-130, and I received an email requesting social security number. Oh Well, I will call on Monday, but a little "catch-22" action coming my way

Jim

Didn't have a problem with FP&L (Florida) recently, but could only add wife as my name, and then "c/o" her name. I can live with that.

I had called customer service to add her name on all utilities. Didn't have a problem, but hey - things vary by locale, hard to say what the 'right answer' is - as what worked for me may not work for you at all. The SSN is usually asked for to do a credit check, but if you already have established account, most will not bother about it for the 2nd named person. YMMV !

Checked with local utilty on process for adding wife to the account for the I-130, and I received an email requesting social security number. Oh Well, I will call on Monday, but a little "catch-22" action coming my way

Jim

You can explain to them she doesn't have one at this time and ask them to process the request. They are wanting to run a credit check on your wife.

Links at SSA:

Can a noncitizen obtain a Social Security number to get a driver's license?

I am lawfully admitted to the United States, but not allowed to work. I still need a Social Security number. How do I obtain one?

Basically, if they can not provide one of the following, they can not require an SSN for the purpose of doing business with her:

• A federal statute or regulation requires the noncitizen to provide an SSN to get a particular benefit or service; or
  • A state or local law requires the noncitizen to provide a SSN to get general assistance benefits.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

Jim

You can explain to them she doesn't have one at this time and ask them to process the request. They are wanting to run a credit check on your wife.

Links at SSA:

Can a noncitizen obtain a Social Security number to get a driver's license?

I am lawfully admitted to the United States, but not allowed to work. I still need a Social Security number. How do I obtain one?

Basically, if they can not provide one of the following, they can not require an SSN for the purpose of doing business with her:

• A federal statute or regulation requires the noncitizen to provide an SSN to get a particular benefit or service; or
  • A state or local law requires the noncitizen to provide a SSN to get general assistance benefits.

Great Information thanks