Having Children after 50 ?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dylan W

It's ALWAYS perfect, but men are commanded to be perfect. So men seek perfection ... continually :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm wearing white socks with my NYPD blue uniform today... but you can't see them because my boots are high, and my slacks are low cut. :rolleyes:

It's ALWAYS perfect, but men are commanded to be perfect. So men seek perfection ... continually :ph34r:

Hey, I'm wearing white socks with my NYPD blue uniform today... but you can't see them because my boots are high, and my slacks are low cut. B)

You should score every time with that getty up.

We did not plan to have children, but hey, things don't always follow plans.

We were together in China for five years, then came to States in 2003. Li got pregnant in August 2003 and Salina was born in May 2004. I was 55 at the time of her birth.

I can say that I am so glad things didn't go according to plan. I love this little girl more than life itself. What a blessing she has been.

I wouldn't object to having another baby when I'm 50. However, my wife will be 45 at that time and may not want to have another one so late. As for paying for college, why should parents have to worry about that? Financing your own college education is one of the best learning experiences that a student can have.

Guest Tony n Terrific

In my case I would be nearly 60 if we had a newborn. Man, my two kids where a handful and I was so much younger then. My wife and I are happy the way things are. She has a daugher and I have two kids. You know the old saying.... 3 is company....

However practice makes perfect. ;)

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

I told my wife about this thread last night. I got "cut" last year... she didn't want me to, but my youngest son is 13, her son will be 17 in one month, my oldest is 28...

I really don't want to be 50 plus with a baby... my energy level isn't the same. My Granddaughter lives with me now and it is fine, but her mother takes care of her the majority of the time.

My wife jokes if we hit the lottery, I can have the reservsal surgery...

even if I had the money, I wouldn't want to have a child, it is a big commitment. I wouldn't her to attempt having a baby either since she is 40,29 as she says it :blink:

I just turned 50 in Dec, and Jan 7 had the vas reversal done after 20 years since the orginal cut. Total cost for the surgery, $6600 which includes surgeon, anethesiologist, and the hospital...cash, it is not covered by insurance since it is an elective surgery. The problem with reversals, as the doctor explained, is the tube can get clogged over time, and this is most likely to happen after 10 years. He explained that when he opens you up, he hopes to find clear tubes. In my case, the left side was clear, but the right was clogged. Thus, he needed to do some rerouting. All in all, it took about 3-1/2 hours, plus, it took me about 4 hours in recovery (anthesiologist really socked it to me since I told him I once woke up in the middle of a hernia op). Doc said since the left side was clear, he gave me about a 50% chance of success to plant the seed.

I had the surgery done at University Hospital in Denver, which coincidentally, the Denver Post just recently said was voted the best hospital for 2008. The doc came highly recommended, and I believe is one of the top surgeons for reversals.

Did it hurt? :)

I just turned 50 in Dec, and Jan 7 had the vas reversal done after 20 years since the orginal cut. Total cost for the surgery, $6600 which includes surgeon, anethesiologist, and the hospital...cash, it is not covered by insurance since it is an elective surgery. The problem with reversals, as the doctor explained, is the tube can get clogged over time, and this is most likely to happen after 10 years. He explained that when he opens you up, he hopes to find clear tubes. In my case, the left side was clear, but the right was clogged. Thus, he needed to do some rerouting. All in all, it took about 3-1/2 hours, plus, it took me about 4 hours in recovery (anthesiologist really socked it to me since I told him I once woke up in the middle of a hernia op). Doc said since the left side was clear, he gave me about a 50% chance of success to plant the seed.

I had the surgery done at University Hospital in Denver, which coincidentally, the Denver Post just recently said was voted the best hospital for 2008. The doc came highly recommended, and I believe is one of the top surgeons for reversals.

Did it hurt? :lol:

I know they put him tosleep, so it probably didn't hurt... When I did it(cut) last year... it was not fun in the least... it felt like someone had my boys in a vice. They Dr. assurred me he wasn't squeezing me :dunno: ... I thought you better not be buddy :vava: ... he also kept telling me to breathe. :huh:

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

My wife was 45 when her daughter had her baby, our precious bao-bao, Johnny, the avatar of my life. When the baby was 10 weeks old his mom, my stepdaughter, left and went to work in another city. I moved to the apartment in Fayetteville, leaving my place in Ala. to come back to later. The whole thing of raising that baby was the best thing that ever happened to me. Of course this was my first marriage and I never had any children of my own, so it was a great new experience for me. For my wife she was so blissed out that she was drawing on some kind of deep inner strength, apparently, because otherwise the strain of it seemed like it should have knocked her out. I tried to help as much as I could, but there was not much she asked me to do, and I could not help in the night at all, needing my sleep so I could work. And the baby was not even ever sick - don't know how we could have managed that. If a couple tries to raise a baby at a later age they are going to need some help.