Can somone supply me with some info?

I am wondering if anyone here can help me find out how to do a few things after arriving to the US for the first time from china with a CR-1 immigrant visa. most of the posts i've seen deal with fiancee visa's and am not sure if its the same. I've listed my questions here..

1) does that CR-1 visa packet (im not allowed to open it until i see the port authority) already have a social security number and card with it?

2) does the CR-1 visa packet already have a green card inside or do i still have to apply for it and take a new photo once in the states.

a) how can i change my last name on my green card and social security card?

thanks for any help

Aloha from Hawaii,

Her social security number is not automatic. You need to apply for one at your local office and you should

get it in about two weeks. The green card will be mailed to you in about four weeks. I cannot help you

with the name change. She did not change her name.

Myles

Guest alex062872

answer for your question:

1) SSN

If depends. When you applied, there's an option for "SSN", if you checked that, an SSN will be issue to you automatically. Otherwise, you have to go to local SSA office to apply.

Let me explain "automatically": at POE, INS will put your wife's name into their computer (INS/SSA cross reference system) at the very first time your wife come to USA. You can go to local SSA office (at least after 48 hours) to ask for INS record for your wife's SSN, they will tell you if your wife's name in INS/SSA system. Her SSN is on the way if her name already in the system.

Sometime, INS does make mistakes, then you have to visit SSA office again after 30 days and ask SSA to issue a SSN.

2) Green Card.

The POE officer will stamp your wife's passport. There will be two stamps. Your wife's Green Card number, what we call A number, will be hand write between the two stamps.

The real, plastic Green Card should be mailed to you. I don't know how long.

Hopefully this will help.